Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2013, 07:47 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,967,872 times

Advertisements

In actuality, it does not matter. Women who own guns, at least the ones I know, and I know many, are not going to give them up because of studies and peer-review articles. There's studies and peer review articles that show smoking may cause cancer. 600,000 worldwide die of just second hand smoke. Yet people still smoke. Deaths in automobile accidents exceed deaths by guns, and people still refuse to wear their seat belts and still drive crazy. Ellemint, you can post 10,000 articles to prove you are right, and we know how important that is, but it is not going to matter. People are buying guns at an extremely fast rate, and the number of women doing so increases. I own a gun, and am wholly unaffected by the articles and studies. If you choose not to own a gun, that's your choice.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:48 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,037,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
That doesn't make sense. Have you not read the last several pages on this thread? The presence of a gun in the home is more likely to be a danger to a woman. Maybe in fantasy land she can dive for the gun and get to it before her angry husband, but in reality, that apparently doesn't happen.

Or go to this interactive graph of all the gun homicides since Newtown. Click on the little figures indicating female victims. See how many were killed by a boyfriend or husband. Even if it was a murder suicide which somehow doesn't "count" in your eyes, the woman still had her life taken, sometimes along with her children. On average nearly 3 women a day are killed by an intimate partner (1027 in total for the year 2011 - not always with a gun).

Gun-death tally: Every American gun death since Newtown Sandy Hook shooting (INTERACTIVE). - Slate Magazine
Again, I'm not even going to give some left wing publication the time of day. FBI statistics show that gun ownership saves lives, my personal life experiences back that up more than one time. My wife and daughters are in a lot more danger from people who think like you do than from any gun in our home.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:50 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
In actuality, it does not matter. Women who own guns, at least the ones I know, and I know many, are not going to give them up because of studies and peer-review articles. There's studies and peer review articles that show smoking may cause cancer. 600,000 worldwide die of just second hand smoke. Yet people still smoke. Deaths in automobile accidents exceed deaths by guns, and people still refuse to wear their seat belts and still drive crazy. Ellemint, you can post 10,000 articles to prove you are right, and we know how important that is, but it is not going to matter. People are buying guns at an extremely fast rate, and the number of women doing so increases. I own a gun, and am wholly unaffected by the articles and studies. If you choose not to own a gun, that's your choice.
It's not the articles and studies that matter. It's reality. And in reality, any woman who wants a gun in the house is going to have to balance the risks and benefits for herself. But personally I do not own a gun, and I would not share a home with someone who kept his or her gun(s) in the home.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
I own a gun, and am wholly unaffected by the articles and studies. If you choose not to own a gun, that's your choice.
Exactly. If you fear firearms don't buy one, it's just that simple.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
It's not the articles and studies that matter. It's reality. And in reality, any woman who wants a gun in the house is going to have to balance the risks and benefits for herself. But personally I do not own a gun, and I would not share a home with someone who kept his or her gun(s) in the home.
So do you recognize a woman's right to choose in this case or do you only feel women are capable of making a choice when it comes to things like abortion?

Old 03-02-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Again, I'm not even going to give some left wing publication the time of day. FBI statistics show that gun ownership saves lives, my personal life experiences back that up more than one time. My wife and daughters are in a lot more danger from people who think like you do than from any gun in our home.
Go ahead, keep your blinkers on. The deaths posted there are are real deaths, verifiable if you click on them. Just because you don't like the publication, doesn't mean those gun deaths didn't occur.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:53 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,133,213 times
oh well...same ole thing.

Last edited by stargazzer; 03-02-2013 at 08:02 PM..

Old 03-02-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Go ahead, keep your blinkers on. The deaths posted there are are real deaths, verifiable if you click on them. Just because you don't like the publication, doesn't mean those gun deaths didn't occur.
I never said they weren't real deaths. My wife and I are smart enough to know that some guy shooting himself with a handgun doesn't mean anything to our safety in our home. We are smart enough to know that her chances of defending our family and home against an attacker (stranger or not) is much greater with her self defense weapon. It has nothing to do with me liking or not liking a publication, I just know biased agenda driven BS when I see it.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
So do you recognize a woman's right to choose in this case or do you only feel women are capable of making a choice when it comes to things like abortion?
I absolutely recognize a woman's right to chose whether or not to own a gun. If I lived in a rural area by myself in an isolated setting, I might consider buying a gun (and I'm a woman), although in reality I think owning some dogs would be more fun and offer better protection. But I don't live in a rural area, and I would never live with someone who wanted to keep their gun in the home, because guns are a dangerous lethal weapon, and you have a substantially higher chance of dying from suicide or homicide if there is a gun in the home, and that's a risk I do not want to take.

The only person I know who owned a gun had it stolen from his bedside table drawer when he was sleeping, by an intruder. He's lucky to be alive.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
I absolutely recognize a woman's right to chose whether or not to own a gun. If I lived in a rural area by myself in an isolated setting, I might consider buying a gun (and I'm a woman), although in reality I think owning some dogs would be more fun and offer better protection. But I don't live in a rural area, and I would never live with someone who wanted to keep their gun in the home, because guns are a dangerous lethal weapon, and you have a substantially higher chance of dying from suicide or homicide if there is a gun in the home, and that's a risk I do not want to take.

The only person I know who owned a gun had it stolen from his bedside table drawer when he was sleeping, by an intruder. He's lucky to be alive.
So do you support the current gun control legislation being proposed all around the country?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies