Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2013, 06:30 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,514,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I pay my gardener $15 per hour. Meanwhile, we have soft lazy kids flipping burgers for $8 per hour.
But there is no law saying you must pay more than minimum wage. And you do anyway.

Are you trying to say you and your gardener didn't need the government or unions to agree to what he was going to get paid and his job description?

I didn't know it was possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 08:12 AM

62,968 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Or the US citizens would cost so much more to Joe that his lawn service was cost prohibitive that he lost clients to other lawn sevices whos citizen employees accepted less that joe could offer his employees and joe had to close up shop. Joe most likely is already close to the margin even with illegal workers.

1] deportaion of 11 million aliens is not going to happen
2] legalization of 11 million will make a more level palying field for employeers...
3] make e-verify part of any CIR legislation.

1. According to you? The solution should be self-deporatations by eliminating the magnets that keep them here along with border and internal enforcement of our immigration laws.

2. Are you nuts? More illegals will just come to take their place.

3. I agree about e-verify but without any so-called CIR.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Why would joe pay more than minimum wage when he doesn't have to. I'm sorry but a lot of americans don't want to do the labor and put in the hours for minimum wage. And minimum wage is nothing is some states. In fact, you can't even live on it.
Our youth and less educated or unskilled have always done those minimum wage jobs.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Again the statement you made is that Americans won't take those jobs, correct?

If there is no illegal immigrants to fill those jobs for peanuts Joe has to pay more if he expects the job to get done.
Exactly! What about construction and landscaping for example they use to pay more than miminum wage until the arrival of cheap, illegal labor. It was a liveable wage.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
The point is...most americans don't want to do these menial labor jobs. And no, Joe pays minimum wage...nothing more. If americans want the job then they will do it but they don't want it so Joe goes somewhere else.
That's false. Americans have always done menial labor jobs and Joe has no right to hire illegal immigrants, period! It's against the law or doesn't that count in your book?

Old 02-24-2013, 08:19 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,228,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Exactly! What about construction and landscaping for example they use to pay more than miminum wage until the arrival of cheap, illegal labor. It was a liveable wage.
Minimum wage is livable, but you have to work more than 40 hours a day...

Old 02-24-2013, 08:20 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,651,049 times
I have a better idea. How about blame the person looking for the job.

Make yourself marketable and work towards a better job. I had a bull**** just above min wage job, I excelled at it easily basically through hard work, but I hit a ceiling without muchh improvement, and I wanted more then $30k a year.

So I went back to school for something that was in need and marketable(that is key, a PhD in underwater basket weaving is pretty useless) My wife got a near useless degree but realized it right near the end when she was job hunting, and got a 2nd degree and Masters(and we paid for it ) But she has a good job. I have a good job, that more then doubled my previous salary. All it took was 2 years of hard work, and I didn't even recieve any free money, I was ineligible, I only got government and private loans to pay for my schooling.

You know what, even now I have a good job and plan to stay here awhile, I am looking to open up my opportunities into different areas locally in case something happens to my job, or my health.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:26 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I pay my gardener $15 per hour. Meanwhile, we have soft lazy kids flipping burgers for $8 per hour.
I pay my lawn guy about $52 an hour.

He cuts, trims, edges and blows away the trimmings for $35 every 10 days or so in the spring and summer.

It takes about 45 minutes.

Oh....he also has a full time job a a plant manager at a paper plant which he begins at 4am 5 days a week.

He cuts about 30 lawns a week.

All it takes to be successful is hard work.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:29 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,950,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Minimum wage is livable, but you have to work more than 40 hours a day...
Uhhhhhh???

Old 02-24-2013, 08:31 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,228,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Uhhhhhh???
If you work say, 60 or 70 hours a day on minimum wage, you could have

food
shelter
insurance

and save a bit of money at the end of the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies