Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 08:57 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,756,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
If you want to work, you'll find work.
Correct. Losers are whining about no jobs. Meanwhile, hard working Americans are working and paying their taxes so Obama can play golf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 08:58 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,233,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Sorry. Not true.
Explain.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:01 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,756,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Explain.
There has always been jobs available for those who want to work. It's no different now than it was 40 years ago. You have to work to get a job and losers just look to the government to take care of them. It was hard finding a job in 1970 too, but just like today, if you have skill needed by the market, you can find a job.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:46 PM

20,127 posts, read 16,173,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I think after World War II, in the 1950s in America, basically anyone could find a job.
In the 1950's about 35-40% of the adult population was not working for pay, as in umemployed. They were called housewives. They were not supported by the government but with private funds supplied by other adults called husbands. The 50's are long gone.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:51 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,385,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
The problem with people like the OP is they blame their circumstances on other people. This isn't the key to success. A job seeker must focus on what they can change that will lead to employment. For example, learning new skills, updating the resume, networking, starting a blog, volunteering can all help. Those who blame others will go nowhere.

Case in point, I was laid off in December of 2012 and had a job with a higher salary by Febuary 2013. I believed that I would find another job and just kept at it. I refused to accept unemployment as a way of life.

Oh, and I totally agree, Careerbuilder and Monster are crap web sites. Indeed and Linkedin are much better.
I'm pretty sure you simply got lucky. Those more fortunate are always the first to get up on their pedestal and scold everyone else. There are tons of people doing exactly what you're doing and are still unemployed. This has nothing to do with blaming others, but rather becoming aware of the bad hiring practices out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Actually not all that uncommon for male immigrants in general.

Immigrants with families considered themselves darn lucky to afford the rent on a small room in a small aprartment or bunked in someone's dirt floor basement.

Seemsd a lot of folk don't have a clue about their own family's immigration and living conditions.

The common link seems to be to look down on the next wave of immigration.
Is this not at the core of the conservative mindset? I've got mine so screw everyone else. Nice christian values. lol

Old 02-23-2013, 10:05 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
Tired of people always blaming the government for why nobody can find jobs. Employers are the problem. HELLO. They have the jobs. Plenty of jobs are out there, but employers have decided to make it impossible for people to get hired.
An Employer can't make money without workers can they? Generally speaking the more employees you need (note the word need here) the larger your company is and the more you make. If you need more employees and are not hiring for whatever reason that would open up opportunities for other business's to fill. Setting aside things like a business deciding if it's worth it to be forced into offering things like health insurance why is it an employer wouldn't be hiring?

Need...

Quote:
Requiring years of experience to do a job anybody can do. My favorite was a $9/hour janitorial position that required 1-2 years of "cleaning knowledge". Is there a degree for cleaning knowledge?
An experienced worker is much more valuable than someone without experience, since there is so many people seeking employment what else do you expect?

Quote:
STOP weeding people out.
If I'm hiring why would I not want to get the best person for the job?

Quote:
TRAIN the people who need help doing the job.
That cost money, why would I want to train someone if I can hire someone that can start immediately?

Quote:
You aren't owed a profit either! You EARN a profit.
And part of that is making wise business decisions based on economics, business is business. It's not personal.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
There has always been jobs available for those who want to work. It's no different now than it was 40 years ago. You have to work to get a job and losers just look to the government to take care of them. It was hard finding a job in 1970 too, but just like today, if you have skill needed by the market, you can find a job.
With the right computer science degree they'll be knocking down your door offering $100K to start and dangling all kind of bennies in front of you.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:16 PM

1,596 posts, read 1,159,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
If you want to work, you'll find work.
Yeah, maybe, but . . .
Human Intelligence is Declining? 40% of U.S. Now Make Less Than 1968 Min. Wage - YouTube

Old 02-23-2013, 10:27 PM

32,079 posts, read 15,081,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Kind of bull --- you don't hear of illegals complaining about not finding jobs. They can show up from 3000 miles away and have fine jobs -- so fine they can send $800 a month back to their own countries. Would Obama be planning a very massive amnesty if he thought Americans wanted jobs?

They do the menial labor that most americans don't want to do....painting, yard work. house cleaning.etc. And they are damn hard workers...something some of us could learn from. They are not hired in the corporate world though.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
They do the menial labor that most americans don't want to do....painting, yard work. house cleaning.etc. And they are damn hard workers...something some of us could learn from.
Somebody has to fill those jobs, the pay increases until someone does. As long as you have so many illegals willing to accept lower wages the pay will never increase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies