Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 03:10 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,429,643 times

Advertisements

So I see the problem Ed in the video is having he is going to the wrong sites. Monster and Career Builder are useless. He needs to be using Linkedin and Indeed. Monster and Career Builder have crap jobs and are crawling with scam artists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 03:12 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Kind of bull --- you don't hear of illegals complaining about not finding jobs. They can show up from 3000 miles away and have fine jobs -- so fine they can send $800 a month back to their own countries. Would Obama be planning a very massive amnesty if he thought Americans wanted jobs?
Is there some reason why you think Obama stands alone on this?

The Republican Party employed the " Southern Strategy" of gaining support and winning elections in Southern States by appealing to the over the top racism against African-Americans and in doing so, " turned" many Southern states. There is no doubt the party is employing a Hispanic Strategy begining with favoring amnesty or path to citizenship or some other name for it.

Neither party has been particularily serious about the borders going back to the Reagan Admin's amnesty for 6 million and promises to control the borders going forward.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:26 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoD Guy View Post
You left out the part where the illegals live like rats(20+ to a motel room) and work for cash.
Oh, and employers know they can abuse them, who they gonna tell?
Actually not all that uncommon for male immigrants in general.

Immigrants with families considered themselves darn lucky to afford the rent on a small room in a small aprartment or bunked in someone's dirt floor basement.

Seemsd a lot of folk don't have a clue about their own family's immigration and living conditions.

The common link seems to be to look down on the next wave of immigration.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:39 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,683,829 times
The problem with people like the OP is they blame their circumstances on other people. This isn't the key to success. A job seeker must focus on what they can change that will lead to employment. For example, learning new skills, updating the resume, networking, starting a blog, volunteering can all help. Those who blame others will go nowhere.

Case in point, I was laid off in December of 2012 and had a job with a higher salary by Febuary 2013. I believed that I would find another job and just kept at it. I refused to accept unemployment as a way of life.

Oh, and I totally agree, Careerbuilder and Monster are crap web sites. Indeed and Linkedin are much better.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:45 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
There's more people than jobs so employer's can be picky.
People have higher expectations for life than their paychecks afford them.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:53 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,813,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
The problem with people like the OP is they blame their circumstances on other people. This isn't the key to success. A job seeker must focus on what they can change that will lead to employment. For example, learning new skills, updating the resume, networking, starting a blog, volunteering can all help. Those who blame others will go nowhere.

Case in point, I was laid off in December of 2012 and had a job with a higher salary by Febuary 2013. I believed that I would find another job and just kept at it. I refused to accept unemployment as a way of life.

Oh, and I totally agree, Careerbuilder and Monster are crap web sites. Indeed and Linkedin are much better.
I have ALWAYS blamed myself for not getting a job but yet I still don't have one
I can do all I can but that doesn't change the fact that there is nothing out there
and volunteering is a bunch of bull. you have to pay to do unpaid work because it costs to get there and what if you're already doing something for money in the meantime...waste and I have tried Indeed too.
I don't know about networking but I wouldn't doubt that finding the right people is like winning the lottery just as getting a job is and I never win anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Is there some reason why you think Obama stands alone on this?
right, everyone is at fault here. I am disappointed in the president too but I see people forget about SchoolHouse Rock. the president can veto a bill but he is mostly there to look pretty

basically OP it's the employers and the govt so it goes back to everyone is at fault

Old 02-23-2013, 04:55 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,158,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
Why do employers "weed out" and become extremely selective when selecting employees? Could it have anything to do with liability and people being sue happy?.
I've moved this up to #3 on the all-time list of BS theories on this forum, which is saying something.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:31 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,588,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
It was hard to follow the OP's post so I gave up. Failing to communicate effectively could be why you're having problems finding a job.

If you're a professional looking for work you should have a Linkedin account and it should be updated. A lot of recruiters troll the site and many companies are utilizing Linkedin as opposed to traditional headhunters. I'm about to switch jobs with a substantial jump in pay all because a recruiter found my profile on Linkedin.
The key here is you have a job. Sadly with all the people out of work and each job posting getting tons of applications, the employers are just ignoring the ones from people who've been out of work for a while. I think that's sad.

I feel for the OP. This online application business stinks. Luckily I've always worked for lawyers, so when I went back to work after taking off to stay home with the kids all I did was call some people I knew before and got hired immediately. It's hard on the people who have little experience or haven't really been in the workforce very long to get to know people, or even worse if you live in an area hit hard by the economy. My area went through a little rough patch with jobs, but things are picking up in a big way around here (Houston).

Old 02-23-2013, 05:31 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,385,731 times
Wow, that entire video segment made so much sense.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:42 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,464,761 times
There are a few points the video-clip doesn't address:

1) Why employers often prefer hiring contractors over permanent jobs, like they they used to for millennia? (Sometimes they even pay more for the contract..).
2) A whole class of positions that used to pay $40-60K disappeared, to be replaced by per hour wages. That is the worst blow suffered by the middle class.
3) In spite of the recession, top executive pay remained untouched and even got higher. They are living on a different planet. Once, everyone went up and down (relatively) together.
4) In the past, companies hired new talent from school. They let them grow and thrive while learning. Nobody does that anymore. I find it the most upsetting trend society. Discouraging a whole generation of young people is bad. Very bad.
5) Speaking of age, people at a certain age are rejected. At 50 you are "old". But that's not so in every field. For example, a 90 year old senator is OK. Same with doctors, lawyers or businessmen. Did anybody tell Warren Buffett that at 83 he is too old to lead an empire?

Last edited by oberon_1; 02-23-2013 at 05:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies