Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Poll: If you support the redifinition of marriage, do you support consentual insest?
Yes, I support consentual insest. 48 36.64%
No, I do not support consentual insest. 83 63.36%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 02:07 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,077,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
I don't understand your second point, it's full of logical fallacies and red herrings.
It is perfectly analogous to your own position. It cannot therefore contain any logical fallacies or red herrings that your own position does not also contain.

Old 02-24-2013, 02:07 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
I already answered that, but since you didn't insult or attack me, I will answer again. Throughout he annals of history, marriage has always been defined as the union between a man and a woman.
This is not true. There are many counter examples. Here's just one.
Polygamy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
This is pertinent for a stable family unit and for the foundations of a family.
Citation requested.

Old 02-24-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
I noticed you didn't vote. Take a stand for equality.
I am completely ambivalent on the issue. You offered no option that for which I could honestly vote.

Old 02-24-2013, 02:08 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,471,430 times
Quote:
Thread title says it all. If you support redefining marriage, do you support a mother marrying her daughter, if they both are consenting adults? Or a father and son? Why or why not? Thanks
I support the right of Republicans marrying each other, but I do frown upon the idea that you want to marry your daughter. However, if she is emancipated, then knock yourselves out.

BTW, nice lame and bigoted attempt to attack gays. Then again, what do I expect from right wing homophobes?

Old 02-24-2013, 02:09 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,099,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Are you seriously trying to compare the two?

Dude your reaching
Please explain. Thanks

Old 02-24-2013, 02:11 PM

1,281 posts, read 1,420,374 times
Quote:
What do you mean by "joined"? Thanks
I mean joining in the legal partnership known heretofore as "marriage" and creating a *new* family unit for legal purposes. How are you defining "marriage"?

And BTW, I didn't vote either. The two choices you gave are unclear.

Old 02-24-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Throughout he annals of history, marriage has always been defined as the union between a man and a woman. This is pertinent for a stable family unit and for the foundations of a family. I do not believe that it needs to be redefined.
What history is that? Exactly?

For much, arguably most of human history, marriage has actually been defined polygamously. It is the form of marriage found in the Old Testament for example.

Old 02-24-2013, 02:14 PM

1,281 posts, read 1,420,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
For much, arguably most of human history, marriage has actually been defined polygamously. It is the form of marriage found in the Old Testament for example.
+1

Exactly.

Old 02-24-2013, 02:16 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
If both parties are adults and fully consenting, and nobody is being coerced or explited, I might find it distasteful and weird but it is none of my business at the end of the day. I would be concerned about the resulting children due to both social ostracisation as it is still such a taboo and potential genetic problems but otherwise it has nothing to do with me.

Disturbing perhaps by our social norms, "abnormal" and socially "unacceptable" but who am I to judge other people's "moral" values as long as it does not hurt anyone.

Not my cup of tea but not something which would keep me up at night or make me feel threatened or enraged either...

It might give me a little shudder but that is MY problem.

I find a lot of things in life, disturbing, repugnant, disgusting and sometimes even grotesque but I am not a judge . I am entitled to my opinions even my narrrow minded ones but I don't see why I would have the right to legislate against something which might to me be utterly incomprehensible but does not harm others . My sense of "morality" is my own and I have no rights to impose it on others.

Live and let live. Far too many, far more important issues for me to worry about like poverty, famine, environmental destruction, bigotry, sex trafficking, human trafficking, slavery, economic degradation and enslavement, child abuse, war, etc.... What two consenting adults do in the boudoir and their familial links really is not top of my list to lose sleep over.
This!

Governments and Church nuts should stay out of the bedrooms of the nation.

Old 02-24-2013, 02:20 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
This question makes absolutely zero sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies