Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2013, 08:09 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,857,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary20852 View Post
I don't believe most homosexuals are interested in marriage. I think most would like their sexual activities to be normalized, and they believe that once they get the ability to marry in all states, this will in essence make the act of men sleeping with men, and women sleeping with women normal.

I don't believe homosexual partnerships should ever receive the "married" label, but again, I do believe that if two men and two women want to ensure that the person that they care about receives their pension, social security benefits (and everything else), they should be allowed to...
And what difference does it back if it is viewed as "normal?"

It will not change anyone's sexual preference.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:15 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,775,031 times
Quote:
I've often wondered why there is such a push (recently) for Same Sex Marriage. Some homosexuals who are interested in marriage, argue that their civil rights are violated, due to the fact that they presently can't marry in certain states, while others have expressed concern over not being able to inherit pensions, Social Security benefits, etc. from their long-term partners.

I doubt that this is the real issue. I think the real agenda is to normalize homosexual activity. I've noticed that many movies and tv programs often feature at least one gay person (despite the fact that according to recent studies, less than 4% of the entire American population is gay). Even when one considers that there may be some people outside of that 4% who also engage in homosexual activities, the total percentage of persons who engage in homosexuality probably account for less than 5% of the American population.

From a moral standpoint, I'm against homosexuality. I do not believe that it was intended for men to sleep with other men, or women to sleep with other women. If it was intended to be this way, why can't two people of the same gender reproduce? In essence, no life form can ever develop from these unions.

I really wish that gay people would be more straightforward about this issue. Also, I wish that people were wise enough to acknowledge that homosexuals should be given rights to inherit their partners pension, Social security benefits (etc), but the partnership should only be recognized as a "Civil Union" and not a marriage.

I think more people would be supportive, if gays agreed to the civil partnerships (with all of the marriage perks) without trying to redefine marriage. What are your thoughts?
Mary,

While I don't agree with some of your statement, I would like to thank you for bringing up the issue in such a respectful manner. (No name calling, etc etc).
That's all I want to say!

Old 02-27-2013, 08:19 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,456,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
Mary,

While I don't agree with some of your statement, I would like to thank you for bringing up the issue in such a respectful manner. (No name calling, etc etc).
That's all I want to say!

It's certainly a privileged position to be in to be able to read Mary's statement and not be offended or to believe that it is a "respectful" position to have.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:20 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,333,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
Homosexuality is a sin, just as many other things are sins (like lying, adultery, stealing, murder, etc). I can not pretend and act like it's not because a silly minister or preacher who receives money from public/private funds to support gays, or because congress, the entertainment industry etc, propagate that we should celebrate this type of lifestyle. I don't care what you or anyone else says, it's an abomination and will never be an accepted way of life. Society can try to change things to make it seem appealing and good, but the reality is, nothing could be further from the truth. It's kind of like how society currently promotes, violence, promiscuity and drugs as good things.

If you were truly a minister you would know that God intended marriage for man and woman, so in actuality you revealed that you don't know God or His teachings. Also, you are lying when you say that God teaches us to love and accept everything under the sun. God teaches us to recognize right from wrong, and to speak out, not blindly accept and love those who do not love Him. The same people who you want to "love," hate God and would love nothing more than to see religion wiped from the face of the earth, so that there is nothing to question their gross immorality.

This is what they truly desire, nothing more, nothing less.
I don't subscribe to your god thingie or yours (or any) concept of sin.
Any organization that preaches hatred is evil.
You choose to partake in evil.

I certainly hope you're not divorced and have never had sex with anyone but your husband (if you have one).
After all, both are sins.

Last edited by chielgirl; 02-27-2013 at 08:30 AM..

Old 02-27-2013, 08:26 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,333,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
Yes, it's hatred and bigotry to say that you don't support two men screwing and two women screwing. I'm such a bigot for having these beliefs.

Apparently, the only ones who should be able to speak about this issue, are those in support of it. If I was gushing over homosexuals and stating that their lifestyle is great, no one would have anything to say. But the moment that someone questions sin in this society, they are bigots and hateful.

LOL totally incredulous!
Why yes, you are a bigot.
I don't look at anyone and think of their sex life.
If that's what you do, might I suggest some sort of counseling.

I, personally, think love is great and that we can use more of it in this world.
Hatred and bigotry, especially in the name of some sky daddy, falls short on love and long on hatred.
I would never expose people I love to so much hatred.
Why would I?

I don't gush over homosexuals, but then again, I don't gush over much.
I do want all people to have equal rights in the US.

If you want a theocracy, I could suggest a few countries that might suit your needs.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:28 AM

734 posts, read 934,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Oh how cute. You think people who don't follow your religion "have no values?"

Reality check: Human values and morality existed BEFORE your religion, and they will exist AFTER your religion is studied the same way we do Greek Mythology.
And what exactly is the basis for knowing that human values and morals existed before religion? God has always existed, so there has never been a time when His words weren't known to man. Anyhow, I won't hold my breath while you try to find some bogus online article that highlights it's all greek mythology...

Quote:
"God is Love"?! Lady, you are NOTHING like the message of your God. Your type are carcicature jokes.
If you read my words, I have never advocated hatred of gays; I have however expressed hatred for their sexual practices, just as I would a pedophile, prostitute, adulterer etc.

Quote:

I can only see you now, big hairsprayed hair, crying, blue mascara running as you type, trying to tell the world about the "love of god" and how you feel. Save it. Tammy Fae Baker is dead and even SHE came around to see the error of her ways at the end of her life.
This is your version of me, but I'm not one who feels the need to wear religion on my sleeve. I did however feel the need to comment on this forum to set the record straight. I firmly believe that people should aim higher not lower. Obviously, it's easy to give in to the lowest desires (adultery, fornication, lying, murder, etc) and much more difficult to take a stand and try to live your life right.

Quote:
You're not speaking truth. You're speaking your dogma.
If I'm speaking dogma, what are you speaking? You see, I'm simply stating that homosexuality, promiscuity, violence, child abduction, etc are wrong behaviors that we should not be celebrating nor promoting. You seem to be stating that because I believe in God and do not believe in homosexuality, something is wrong with me. I should be locked away for being intolerant. Again, something seems very off about you. I'm supposed to be the intolerant one, yet I never expressed that you should be locked away. I simply expressed that men shouldn't sleep with men and women shouldn't sleep with women. Again, if these views make me intolerant, so be it.

Quote:
You and a 6 billion others believe they hold "the truth." Every Muslim, Hindu and Buddhist feels just as strongly about their beliefs as you do. You can't all be right, and likely, you're all equally wrong.
Actually Hindus and Buddhist do not believe in monotheism, so they do not believe the same as I do.

And for the record, the religions which stem from monotheistic faiths are Judaism, Christianity and Islam.

Quote:
No. Read again. You should be locked away because you display the same traits as those who ARE locked away.
And which traits would those be? Again, I have never harmed anyone nor have I advocated harm to you or your ilk. I have simply expressed the viewpoint that men having sex with men and women having sex with women is wrong. Apparently, this is the real reason why you believe I should be locked away, because I don't follow your dogma that anything should go.

Quote:
If I ran around saying a cosmic alien race demands we oppress and restrict Asian people from marrying, and if I told everyone that I speak to these aliens every night before bed and ask them to forgive me for eating Chinese takeout that night..... then I woudl rightfully be labelled a CRAZY.
Yes, you would rightfully be labeled as crazy, but I don't see how this relates to my views on gays.

You see, again, I believe in God and I believe in HIS message. Presently, I'm focussing on homosexuality but all sin is one in the same. I don't believe it's ok to lie and state that homosexuality, prostitution, pedophiles, murderers, liars, etc are good things, when they are not.

Quote:

Replace "aliens" with "God" and "Asians" with "gays" and... voila.... now you can see why we think you're crazy.
I will not replace aliens with God, because I don't believe that aliens created me, I do however believe that God did, so again your point is moot. If anything, I'm beginning to think that you are a bit looney.

Quote:
Your creator? I've never met your parents and don't know why you're bringing them into this discussion.

Though I would like a word with them about their parenting skills. It is the duty of every parent to educate their child and prepare them for life in the real world, and obviously, somebody has failed. Miserably.
You accuse me of intolerance, but look at your behavior. I fully accept the fact that you do not believe in God nor His message. That's fine. Just realize that other people do. I think you fail to understand that I get the fact that we have free will, which means that you and I can do whatever we wish or desire. I never stated that you couldn't exercise your free will, I simply stated that according to my views, homosexuality is included amongst the many other sins that I do not believe in nor wish to promote as "good."

Quote:
You are ridiculous because being against homosexuals is like disagreeing with being deaf or left handed. The fact that you can't understand that will be your ultimate downfall.
I am ridiculous for believing that men shouldn't sleep with men and women shouldn't sleep with women? At the end of the day, I have a right to my beliefs, just as I acknowledge that you have a right to yours. The main area of disagreement seems to be that you want to silence my voice, because I do not believe in propagating homosexuality, as a good thing.

Also, I think it's wrong for you to equate the act of homosexuality with being deaf or left handed. Deaf people lack the ability to hear, and persons who are left handed, simply write with their left hand. Why on earth would anyone in their right mind, dislike these people.

You see, your problem is, you are trying to label me as a hateful person, when nothing could be further from the truth. The fact that I don't agree with homosexuality, does not equate with me hating persons with disabilities, or people who express different viewpoints than myself. I can relate to you as a human being, without agreeing with the actions that you engage in. This is the hallmark of tolerance. I however will never state that homosexuality is good, just as I would never state that pedophiles are good, or that adulterers are good.

On another note, I know many people who love watching ABC's hit show, Scandal. I like Kerry Washington's acting, but I couldn't support the "program" because I didn't agree with the adultery that was constantly propagated throughout the show. Again, this doesn't mean that I hate the actors, it just means that what they are displaying goes against, what I believe in, so I chose to tune out.

Quote:
Save it, sister. Every generation since Christ has believed he was "coming in their lifetimes." Everyone has always seen revelation "coming to fruition!" The signs! The signs! Can't you read the signs?!
I can read the signs, and it's apparent that we are in the last days. Anyhow, you are free to believe whatever you wish, just remember that I also have the same right.

Last edited by Lilly1224; 02-27-2013 at 08:39 AM..

Old 02-27-2013, 08:29 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,590,961 times
Quote:
Well again, why haven't they advocated for civil unions w/ the benefits of marriage? I really believe there wouldn't be such controversy, if they pushed for this instead of trying to redefine marriage.
The controversy is created by people like you! Somehow "heterosexuals" have defined "marriage" as being "special"! It has nothing to do with "benefits" and more about romance!
It's quite funny since we never identify straight people by their sexual behavior but when it comes to gays all people talk about is butt sex which is funny because many straight people are actually freakier!
Why should gay people just settle for a Civil Union when they would like to be married and follow tradition? Marriage is a ceremony binding two people who love each other not just some piece of paper!

Old 02-27-2013, 08:30 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,857,696 times
Quote:
Monotheism, is beautiful. The Lord's way is the best way; when we follow His example, we tend to have the least amount of problems/issues.

Let me give you a few examples. I'm a woman who doesn't believe in pre-marital sex. I've been called all types of names, etc for following the path that I know is right. As a result of my belief system, I've never had to worry about STDS, abortion or out of wedlock children. Also, I've never had to worry about dead beat guys, because clearly these low value males, are not attracted to women such as myself, and I would never give them the time of day either.

I also abstain from alcohol and drugs. I've never had to worry about being drunk and degrading myself in public, or men taking advantage and raping me..., like a few of my associates, from my college years.

I can give you plenty of other examples, but seriously, I found out early on, that when I live right and went against what "society" deems as normal (i.e. promiscuity, drugs/alcohol, rude behavior, lying, stealing, etc), I never had to worry about experience any major problems.

Also, I've never had to worry about money. God seems to provide for me in abundance, in a way that he doesn't provide for some of my associates and family who are engaged in some of the above activities.

I can't explain it, but I know that I'm blessed; therefore, I will continue to do what is right, even if everyone on the globe preaches in favor of moral decay.
Perhaps on this issue you should think about the the 2nd part of the Great Commandment: "You shall love your neighbor as yourself."

Old 02-27-2013, 08:42 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,267,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
Perhaps on this issue you should think about the the 2nd part of the Great Commandment: "You shall love your neighbor as yourself."
I'd agree.

Especially when she's talking about "men screwing men" and "women screwing women".

I'd ask that poster if she uses that term when discussing lovemaking with her husband (if she's married). Or her parents. Is her father a man screwing a woman?

Old 02-27-2013, 08:44 AM

734 posts, read 934,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Again, your obsession with other people's sexual acts. Ewwwwww.......

What is "their lifestyle"? You are not speaking about the issue, you are talking about sexual acts. You failed to mention the fact that 2 people of the same gender have the same type of relationship as anyone else. A home, love, commitment, family, children, friends, jobs, vacations, hobbies, IRAs, 401ks, legal documents, etc. You know a marriage.
I have to keep driving home the message, that men having sex with men, and women having sex with women is what I disagree with.

The issue is their sexuality. That's what I disagree with in a nutshell. I have a right to disagree, just as you have a right to disagree with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies