Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 09:45 AM

2,935 posts, read 5,005,986 times

Advertisements

RainforestDarwin said:

Quote:
Local charities are much more equiped to determine who is deserving of help and who is not.
Are you more concerned with making sure that everyone who "deserves" help gets it, or that everyone who "doesn't deserve help" doesn't? You seem to be obsessed with the latter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 09:49 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,706,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
Are you more concerned with making sure that everyone who "deserves" help gets it, or that everyone who "doesn't deserve help" doesn't? You seem to be obsessed with the latter.
Considering that I provide direct help to those who truly deserve help, you make the call.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:05 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,901,040 times
Moosketeer - thank you. I need say no more on this topic except to add:

Militarism, warmongering, profiteering and colonialism have to stop. These only make a chosen few rich at the cost of prosperity, liberty and life for the many. We all need to sing, like Phil Ochs did, "We ain't marching any more!" Oil, Isreal, Saudi royalty, Iranian absurdity are not worth any more lives. ours or anyone elses.

I AIN'T MARCHING ANY MORE!

Old 10-24-2007, 10:16 AM

2,935 posts, read 5,005,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Considering that I provide direct help to those who truly deserve help, you make the call.
All of them?

Old 10-24-2007, 10:21 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,664,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
All of them?
Of course !

Old 10-24-2007, 01:19 PM

119 posts, read 203,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayannaaaliyah View Post
See I agree with your points, but here's where I think the government is AT FAULT for allowing abuse.

Case in point: Susie has baby at 17. Applies for welfare; medicaid - approved. Susie drops out - no requirement from government to obtain skills. At 18 Susie has baby #2 - meets with social worker and adds new child to welfare/medicaid - still no requirment for skills. At 20 Susie has baby #3, meets social worker, adds new child.

Herein lies the problem! Social worker and government agency is allowing same person, no job, to add on more children each year for coverage from same mother who has no job, no education, no skills training. Why not say, uh benefits are being terminated or no more benefits for you, or better yet, you will go to this course where you will take up a trade - you have X number of months to graduate and we WILL find you employment. We will allow your benefits to continue for 1 year to allow you to gain experience, save, and get on your feet. Should you fail to fulfil any of the above requirements, your benefits will be terminated. Logical right? With this in place, there would be no abuse of the system and the benefits would be "temporary" - problem solved.

I agree with your points here, the problem is "we" dont want the government involved in our personal lives right? we dont want them telling us how many children to have or not have and we dont want them forcing us to aquire skills and work. See most people want hand outs...most people are not accountable for the number of children they have when they cant support them and then they want to blame the government for their problems.

It's not the government's job to fix all of our problems. It starts with parents.

Old 10-24-2007, 01:27 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,586,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Militarism, warmongering, profiteering and colonialism have to stop. These only make a chosen few rich at the cost of prosperity, liberty and life for the many. We all need to sing, like Phil Ochs did, "We ain't marching any more!" Oil, Isreal, Saudi royalty, Iranian absurdity are not worth any more lives. ours or anyone elses.

I AIN'T MARCHING ANY MORE!
I love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texcali32 View Post
I agree with your points here, the problem is "we" dont want the government involved in our personal lives right? we dont want them telling us how many children to have or not have and we dont want them forcing us to aquire skills and work. See most people want hand outs...most people are not accountable for the number of children they have when they cant support them and then they want to blame the government for their problems.

It's not the government's job to fix all of our problems. It starts with parents.
Texcali32, you are correct in that we don't want the government involved in our personal lives but I was just giving an example of how to have some assurance that the small percentage of lazy/take advantage of the system individuals can be stopped. Of course there is no one simple solution to an ongoing problem. However, I don't know if instituting a policy like the suggestion that I made could be construed as the "govt involvement in personal lives". I mean of course the government can't say how many babies you can have, but the government can say that I'm not going to continue to support you, I will give you the opportunity and tools to train and become independent but I will not support you sitting around carrying a new baby every year while not working

Old 10-24-2007, 01:42 PM

119 posts, read 203,146 times
I completely agree that the government SHOULD say im not going to continue to support you if you are abusing the system. Maybe the comment I made about the government saying how many babies we could have was a little dramatic but I think the solution needs to start at home. Is it "Susie's" fault she got pregnant at 17 or is the government agency's fault for allowing her to add more children for coverage? It's not the babies fault so what do we do??

I think we teach our kids ACCOUNTABILITY!!! From what I see parents are not teaching this. I teach my 9 year old that no one is going to bail you out, consequences to your actions.

here's an example, the mortgage crisis...Is it the governments responsibilty to bail out people who got loans they could not afford?? is it even the mortgage companies problem?? nope it's the individuals.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:20 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,769,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
As a flaming liberal, I only want everyone to have a base of benefits. I see it as our national, civic and human duty. Everyone should be able to work, have healthcare, good schools, access to college, a safe place to live, a place to live, something to eat. et. cetera. the government's job is to serve its people. If churches or others want to help, godspeed. However, only the governemnt can ENSURE these rights. An American, in the most powerful nation on earth, with dignity, should be able to have basic expectations of care. Europe, Canada, Japan, Australia, even cuba does it. We can too. If that means higher taxes, I will pay. If it means a change in governemnt, it is our right to change it. I am only one man, I don't have some clear-cut plan. But it is the right thing to do, and we should do it. Poverty isn't a lack of money, poverty is a lack of dignity and decensy. The governemnt doesn't need to dole out checks, the governemnt needs to dole out services. America is not evil, but America can do better. Associating progressive thought with the people who hate America is an attack on me. It is an attack on half the nation. I wish you would edit your original post, if you ask something respectfully, yuo will get the straightforward answers you are looking for. That question was marred by disrespect.

Well stated. How come we are farther behind then Cuba? It's mighty embarrassing.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:21 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,769,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlevo View Post
The second part is an agreement from everyone that they will not abuse the system and (as Rush Limbaugh says) "Use the safety net as a hammock".

(
But what is the percentage of people who do that? It's seems the level of disdain for this is disproportional to the amount of people actually doing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies