Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 08:58 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,586,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
^ This. My generation used to think "sick" was a term when one wasn't feeling very well but now it looks like a positive. Impressive. Forgot who puts out the ad but it was for faster speed (computers) and the one kid goes, "That's sick".
years before that, 'bad' became a term meaning something desirable.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:07 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,041,078 times
What's with this rash of PC? Especially with gays. Toughen up. They are like this new protected class where its as if they are supposed to be off limits from any sort of negativity at all. Get over it. You're abnormal, sucks. Plenty of others who are abnormal but I dont see a media driven movement to protect them from anything.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:19 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,515,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Never heard of this woman before but she makes some really valid points. We need to educate our kids as well as our communities how offensive some words can be.
I find your post offensive.

You need to educate youself on how offensive your words can be.

Sound silly?

Good. U get the point.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:24 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,914,290 times
I think with at least "gay" people; words go in and out. The "Q" word; I can't say it because CDF stars it out USED to be a derogatory 1, now many younger gay dudes call themselves "Q folk". The "Fa" word, also starred out by CDF seems to be catching on with much younger gay dudes even tho IT still is a slur.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:36 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,685,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
"That's So Gay" is not nearly as offensive as using the word "gay" to identify homosexuals or the homosexual populations hijacking of the word.

Being gay used to mean, happy, carefree and a sense of joy. Somewhere, that word became the domain of homosexuals and that is far more offensive. Now you can't use the word without fear of offending homosexuals. Excuse me but too bad. There was no right to take that word and make it something it was not intended to be and by so doing, remove it from everyday speech just because some segment of the population needed a way to identify themselves.

By hijacking the word "gay" something was taken from others. Isn't it strange that it becomes a one way street so easily?

I could care less about the sexuality of anyone else but when you decide to simple take from others and then complain that it happens to you, all bets are off. First set an example, then ask others to follow it.
Oh spare us. Are you stuck in 1955? The word "gay" has meant homosexual for a long, long time. To say that it's been "taken away" from you is just utter hogwash. Why did you just come out and say you hate homosexuals. That would be a lot more honest.

Those of you who are complaining that you can't use the word "gay" as an insult without being criticized for it are probably just too stupid to come up with another word. Use your brains for a change and stop being so intellectually lazy.

Last edited by AnUnidentifiedMale; 03-07-2013 at 10:23 PM..

Old 03-07-2013, 11:55 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,829,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Never heard of this woman before but she makes some really valid points. We need to educate our kids as well as our communities how offensive some words can be.

Ash Beckham at Ignite Boulder 20 - YouTube
I didn't realize we did public service announcements on this forum.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Oh spare us. Are you stuck in 1955? The word "gay" has meant homosexual for a long, long time. To say that it's been "taken away" from you is just utter hogwash. Why did you just come out and say you hate homosexuals. That would be a lot more honest.

Those of you who are complaining that you can't use the word "gay" as an insult without being criticized for it are probably just too stupid to come up with another word. Use your brains for a change and stop being so intellectually lazy.
That's such a gay response. Grow some thicker skin.

Who cares what someone means by it. Like it or not, even if accepted by society, being gay is and always will be an abnormality. And I think its clear that some gays have a gay persona or act to them. So saying something like that's gay or dont be gay, absolutely is can refer to homosexuals. Oh well.

There's nothing wrong with saying it.

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-09-2013 at 01:40 PM..

Old 03-08-2013, 12:30 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,431,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
I think with at least "gay" people; words go in and out. The "Q" word; I can't say it because CDF stars it out USED to be a derogatory 1, now many younger gay dudes call themselves "Q folk". The "Fa" word, also starred out by CDF seems to be catching on with much younger gay dudes even tho IT still is a slur.
Yet it seems that almost any insult against Christians goes uncensored.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:35 AM

Look, in many cases its just a term referring to lame. Negative? Yes, always.

Here's some harsh reality. Whether most straight normal people would admit it or not, most would never want to be gay. Sorry, but that's just common sense truth. It may be offensive to you, but its the truth.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:17 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,786,417 times
I can think of two words that have taken on a different meaning. They were once were used in a positive context, now a negative comes to mind when I hear them.

HOPE and CHANGE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies