Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2013, 11:35 AM

2,475 posts, read 2,076,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Yeah? EXACTLY how many of you right wingers donate?

EXACTLY how much do each of you right wingers donate?

HOW COME IT'S NOT EVEN MAKING A DENT, if all this charity is so amazing and so abundant?

Can we all make you donate more so it comes up to what the actual amount needed for the poor TOTALS?

Can we make all of you sign a contract to continue this donation until you've taken your last breath?

NO? Oh well, that's just too bad.

Please do me a favor? Stop waving the carrot of charity. I don't know how many more ways to say it - STOP. Trying to use the carrot of charity, and how charitable you all are, as a technique of doing away with welfare is not working. It's not working on so many levels, I don't even have the time to tell you. Charity does NOT solve the problem for the poor, for the homeless, for anyone. You want to give? Great! But don't be fooling me with the bs that charity is a problem-solver.
Many of the "homeless" don't want help, they want to be left alone.
Quote:
In a kind and just world, Whalley would make a call, city services would arrive, and Tomavich would be whisked off to a warm shower, medical treatment and a snug bed. But it's never that simple.
Wednesday, city services showed up, but they were met with curses and shouts. Tomavich told them he knew his rights. He quoted from the Constitution, called the outreach workers names and raised a ruckus that had pedestrians stopping on the sidewalk to watch.
And then everyone left. Tomavich stayed where he was.
"I just can't help but feel that San Francisco can do better," Whalley said.
But if a person refuses help, help cannot be forced on him. The numbers of men bundled up in doorways make it clear outreach isn't always wanted or easy. Like Tomavich, many refuse to go into shelters - he complained that they make him get up early and don't let him smoke when he wants - and decline medical care.
[LEFT]
Read more: Homeless dying on streets, don't want help - SFGate
[/LEFT]
Self-righteousness isn't the way either. You can only help those that want the help, for that there are numerous Federal and State programs they can get into; it is they that must want to and it is they that must do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Oh lordy. Here we go again with the charity crap. I don't know how the hell some people think that donating an old, pair of pants to the homeless solves the plight of the homeless, but they frikkin DO believe it!!!! They actually think it solves something! OMFG. I'm not even going to address this insane sh_t again.
How are you going to solve the plight of the homeless if they don't want to be bothered by you. Donated clothing they will accept along with giving them the charity of change when passing by, hell, some are even willing to work for a meal and some money.
Quote:
Whalley recently got involved when he was taking Buster, his Bernese mountain dog, out for a predawn walk on Polk. They strolled by Tomavich, rolled in his blanket, and the homeless man asked for a cigarette, then for "taka," or vodka.
Whalley gave him the first, refused to help with the second, and put together a series of little care packages with jeans, shoes, a hat and gloves. Some of the stuff disappeared and some ended up in a pile of possessions on the sidewalk.
[LEFT]
Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/nevius...#ixzz2Ox3dCbq5
[/LEFT]

Old 03-29-2013, 12:07 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,734,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
Many of the "homeless" don't want help, they want to be left alone. Self-righteousness isn't the way either. You can only help those that want the help, for that there are numerous Federal and State programs they can get into; it is they that must want to and it is they that must do it.
Some of the homeless are psychotic and afraid to deal with other human beings. And?

What does that have to do with the fact that the poor and homeless need help, which is obviously not being provided by charity, and will never be provided by charity because charity consists of whatever someone decides to donate on one fine day, be it a pair of dirty shorts, or $5.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Some of the homeless are psychotic and afraid to deal with other human beings. And?

What does that have to do with the fact that the poor and homeless need help, which is obviously not being provided by charity, and will never be provided by charity because charity consists of whatever someone decides to donate on one fine day, be it a pair of dirty shorts, or $5.
So its a "you know whats better for them than they do" claim, got it.

Define help. You want to help them, they don't want your help.

Looks to me like you define charity as everything but actual charity.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
So its a "you know whats better for them than they do" claim, got it.

Define help. You want to help them, they don't want your help.

Looks to me like you define charity as everything but actual charity.
No. It's a matter that many of the homeless are mentally ill individuals, some of whom should be in a facility, and who are unable to make a living, have no home, can't keep any job, and don't have meds to take. Not to mention that anti-psychotics have some rather monstrous little side effects, so folks have trouble staying on them. I'm sure you knew all this, right? Please say you did.

Here's some reading material:

Quote:
Adverse effects
Antipsychotics are associated with a range of side effects. It is well-recognized that many people stop taking them (around two-thirds even in controlled drug trials) due in part to adverse effects.[43] Extrapyramidal reactions include acute dystonias, akathisia, parkinsonism (rigidity and tremor), tardive dyskinesia, tachycardia, hypotension, impotence, lethargy, seizures, intense dreams or nightmares, and hyperprolactinaemia.[44] Side effects from antipsychotics can be managed by a number of different drugs. For example, anticholinergics are often used to alleviate the motor side effects of antipsychotics.[45] Some of the side-effects will appear after the drug has been used only for a long time.
Some studies have found decreased life expectancy associated with the use of antipsychotics, and argued that more studies are needed.[46][47] In Feb. 2011, a minor loss of brain tissue was reported in schizophrenics treated with antipsychotics.[48][49] Brain volume was negatively correlated with both duration of illness and antipsychotic dosage. No association was found with severity of illness or abuse of other substances. An accompanying editorial said: "The findings should not be construed as an indication for discontinuing the use of antipsychotic medications as a treatment for schizophrenia. But they do highlight the need to closely monitor the benefits and adverse effects of these medications in individual patients, to prescribe the minimal amount needed to achieve the therapeutic goal [and] to consider the addition of nonpharmacological approaches that may improve outcomes."[48][50] Continuous use of neuroleptics has been shown to decrease the total brain volume by 10% in macaque monkeys.[51]
In "healthy" individuals without psychosis, doses of antipsychotics can produce the so-called "negative symptoms" (e.g. emotional and motivational difficulties) associated with schizophrenia.[52]
From a subjective perspective, antipsychotics heavily influence one's perceptions of pleasurable sensations, causing a severe reduction in feelings of desire, motivation, pensive thought, and awe. This does not coincide with the apathy and lack of motivation experienced by the negative symptoms of schizophrenia. Detrimental effects on short term memory, which affect the way one figures and calculates (although this also may be purely subjective), may also be observed on high enough dosages. These are all the reasons why they are thought to affect "creativity". Also, for some individuals with schizophrenia, too much stress may cause "relapse".[citation needed]
Following are details concerning some of the side effects of antipsychotics:
  • Antipsychotics, particularly atypicals, appear to cause changes in insulin levels by blocking the muscarinic M3 receptor[53] (which is a key regulator of insulin secretion[54]) expressed on pancreatic beta cells and in regions of the brain that regulate glucose homeostasis. Altered insulin levels can lead to diabetes mellitus and fatal diabetic ketoacidosis, especially (in US studies) in African Americans.[55][56]
  • Antipsychotics may cause pancreatitis.[57]
  • Some atypical antipsychotics (especially olanzapine and clozapine) are associated with body weight gain partially due to occupancy of the histamine receptor[58] and changes to neurochemical signalling in regions of the brain that regulate appetite.[59] A metabolic side effect associated with weight gain is diabetes.[60] Evidence suggests that females are more sensitive to the metabolic side-effects of atypical antipsychotic drugs than males.[61]
  • Clozapine also has a risk of inducing agranulocytosis, a potentially dangerous reduction in the number of white blood cells in the body. Because of this risk, patients prescribed clozapine may need to have regular blood checks to catch the condition early if it does occur, so the patient is in no danger.[62]
  • One of the more serious of these side effects is tardive dyskinesia, in which the sufferer may show repetitive, involuntary, purposeless movements (that are permanent and have no cure) often of the lips, face, legs, or torso. It is believed that there is a greater risk of developing tardive dyskinesia with the older, typical antipsychotic drugs, although the newer antipsychotics are now also known to cause this disorder.
  • A potentially serious side effect of many antipsychotics is that they tend to lower an individual's seizure threshold. Chlorpromazine and clozapine, in particular, have a relatively high seizurogenic potential. Fluphenazine, haloperidol, pimozide and risperidone exhibit a relatively low risk. Caution should be exercised in individuals that have a history of seizurogenic conditions such as epilepsy, or brain damage.
  • Neuroleptic malignant syndrome, in which the drugs appear to cause the temperature regulation centers to fail, resulting in a medical emergency, as the patient's temperature suddenly increases to dangerous levels.
  • Dysphoria.
  • Drug-induced parkinsonism due to dopamine D2 receptor blockade may mimic idiopathic parkinsonism. The typical antipsychotics are more prone to cause this, compared to the atypical antipsychotics.
  • Sexual dysfunction, which may rarely continue after withdrawal, similar to Post-SSRI sexual dysfunction.
  • Akathisia, inability to sit still or remain motionless. Both typicals and atypicals can lead to akathisia.[63]
  • Dystonia, a neurological movement disorder in which sustained muscle contractions cause twisting and repetitive movements or abnormal postures.
  • Hyperprolactinaemia. The breasts may enlarge and discharge milk, in both men and women due to abnormally-high levels of prolactin in the blood. Prolactin secretion in the pituitary is normally suppressed by dopamine. Drugs that block the effects of dopamine at the pituitary or deplete dopamine stores in the brain may cause the pituitary to secrete prolactin.
  • There is evidence that exposure may cause demyelinating disease in laboratory animals.[64]
  • Antipsychotics increase the risk of death in individuals with dementia.[65]
  • Some antipsychotics may produce pharyngitis.[66]
Some people suffer few apparent side effects from taking antipsychotic medication, whereas others may have serious adverse effects.[vague] Some side effects, such as subtle cognitive problems, may go unnoticed.
There is a possibility that the risk of tardive dyskinesia can be reduced by combining the anti-psychotics with diphenhydramine or benzatropine, although this remains to be established. Central nervous system damage is also associated with irreversible tardive akathisia and/or tardive dysphrenia. Antipsychotic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-29-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
No. It's a matter that many of the homeless are mentally ill individuals, some of whom should be in a facility, and who are unable to make a living, have no home, can't keep any job, and don't have meds to take. Not to mention that anti-psychotics have some rather monstrous little side effects, so folks have trouble staying on them. I'm sure you knew all this, right? Please say you did.

Again, its a "you know whats better for them then they know."

Old 03-29-2013, 10:06 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Default President Bush called us Lazy Americans and no one took offense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Nobody said that. Reread the OP.
I read your America Utopia rendition where only in America are poor people not poor. I didn't buy it when I read it and I'm not buying it now. I found your strange facts, strange, because it is the lie we tell ourselves so as we can sleep nights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Absolutely true.

But some people prepare by living within their means. Then they are better able to handle "bad things".
When you find yourself living off of $720.00 a month, trying to make rent, utilities, fuel, car insurance and food, then we can have a serious discussion about what it means to, live within your means. To know you need to see a dentist and you can't. To know you need to see a doctor and you can't. To know your shoes are worn out, and yet there is no money to replace that simple item and to recall that is wasn't that long ago, where that would not be an issue. To look around you to see who might can help and realize they all have problems themselves, they don't want other people's problems added to their plate. They won't even put your name in at the companies they work, so then you begin to wonder about your self worth and the value that you bring to those around you, then you begin to look at society a wee bit different, than you did before.

Trust me, there is no preparation for the 'bad things', that happen to good people.

There is no way for me to tell you the flaws in your OP. The only way people will see the flaws is if they experience poverty in America for themselves. With the present day economic job creation failures, I'm trusting, more people are seeing the truth within the lie. I'm also thinking that more folks in America who just a few years back would vote to abolish the entitlement programs are finding out, that it is a good thing, that safety net is still in place.

I use to clean houses and I cleaned many that had been foreclosed on, during the burst. It was difficult to enter those houses knowing that just a few months ago, it had been someone's home. "Where are they now?", I often wondered to myself. Perhaps living in their car some where, or hopefully family member or friends took them in.

The second job I had I learned one of my co-workers was living in her car with her teenage daughter.

There is no preparation for the 'bad things', but keep telling yourself there is, because it is then, you too, can sleep nights.

~that's all~

PS: When I thought about this thread today, I thought about something that I hadn't thought about in years. This country was built by poor folks and if it wasn't for them, we wouldn't even be having this discussion in a land called, America.

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 03-29-2013 at 10:21 PM..

Old 03-30-2013, 12:49 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:

??? (scratching head)

Investor's Business Daily 11-15-91 page 1 story cited National Conference of Mayors report claiming an estimated 24 percent of the homeless in big cities are employed.

Other media around that time reported homeless employment rates generally in the neighborhood of 15 percent.

Old 03-30-2013, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
I read your America Utopia rendition where only in America are poor people not poor. I didn't buy it when I read it and I'm not buying it now. I found your strange facts, strange, because it is the lie we tell ourselves so as we can sleep nights.
When you find yourself living off of $720.00 a month, trying to make rent, utilities, fuel, car insurance and food, then we can have a serious discussion about what it means to, live within your means. To know you need to see a dentist and you can't. To know you need to see a doctor and you can't. To know your shoes are worn out, and yet there is no money to replace that simple item and to recall that is wasn't that long ago, where that would not be an issue. To look around you to see who might can help and realize they all have problems themselves, they don't want other people's problems added to their plate. They won't even put your name in at the companies they work, so then you begin to wonder about your self worth and the value that you bring to those around you, then you begin to look at society a wee bit different, than you did before.

Trust me, there is no preparation for the 'bad things', that happen to good people.

There is no way for me to tell you the flaws in your OP. The only way people will see the flaws is if they experience poverty in America for themselves. With the present day economic job creation failures, I'm trusting, more people are seeing the truth within the lie. I'm also thinking that more folks in America who just a few years back would vote to abolish the entitlement programs are finding out, that it is a good thing, that safety net is still in place.

I use to clean houses and I cleaned many that had been foreclosed on, during the burst. It was difficult to enter those houses knowing that just a few months ago, it had been someone's home. "Where are they now?", I often wondered to myself. Perhaps living in their car some where, or hopefully family member or friends took them in.

The second job I had I learned one of my co-workers was living in her car with her teenage daughter.

There is no preparation for the 'bad things', but keep telling yourself there is, because it is then, you too, can sleep nights.

~that's all~

PS: When I thought about this thread today, I thought about something that I hadn't thought about in years. This country was built by poor folks and if it wasn't for them, we wouldn't even be having this discussion in a land called, America.
Excellent post!!! Thanks!

Old 03-30-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? (scratching head)

Investor's Business Daily 11-15-91 page 1 story cited National Conference of Mayors report claiming an estimated 24 percent of the homeless in big cities are employed.

Other media around that time reported homeless employment rates generally in the neighborhood of 15 percent.
What does any of that have to do with my post?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies