Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 07:30 PM

435 posts, read 1,522,487 times

Advertisements

Alot has been said as to how "evil" America is and how we should help the "poor" and "Lower Classes", but what, pray tell, is the plan?

What is your idea for helping the poor? I want this thread to be a forum for how those on the left of society plan to help the poor. No attacks. No race-baiting. Straight answers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 08:37 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,148,367 times
You seem to be implying that being poor is the problem. Does money solve the problem? I don't think so. If we made all poor people relatively wealthy it wouldn't change a thing. Our dog-eat-dog capitalist culture would produce millions of poor people in no time. People would still do exactly what they're doing now. The problem isn't that so many are poor, it's that what we value, this manmade concept called money, is distributed so unevenly. Instead of valuing each other, we value a piece of paper with a number on it.

Money isn't necessary for life. REAL things are. Money isn't a real thing. We were never meant to live in luxury, a lifestyle that ultimately destroys us and the planet. But, we surely can ALL live in abundance. Until we value what is real, this "help the poor" issue will only keep repeating an unsuccessful past.

Like burdell's post below, I also take offense at the implication that only left-leaning people respond.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:37 PM

68,364 posts, read 54,576,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briarwood View Post
What is your idea for helping the poor? I want this thread to be a forum for how those on the left of society plan to help the poor. No attacks. No race-baiting. Straight answers
And why is this restricted to "the left of society"? Are you implying that the 'official policy' of the right of society is "screw the poor, they're not our problrm"?

Old 10-23-2007, 10:22 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,807,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And why is this restricted to "the left of society"? Are you implying that the 'official policy' of the right of society is "screw the poor, they're not our problrm"?
That is a good question. I have seen some of the "rugged individual" types say they prefer private altruism (because it's the right thing to do)to government involvement...but then a couple posts later basically say "screw the poor, they're not our problem", as you state. And regardless, with the poor increasing and the middle class disappearing in our society the current strategy does not seem to be working too well.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:29 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,587,364 times
I'm not left or right. I'm ALIVE and center

Honestly, I don't know where to start. Hell I'm one paycheck away from being homeless myself This problem is SOOOOOOO HUGE that it frequently gives me headaches just thinking about it.

I think the change has to start in Washington, ridding it of ALL THE CROOKS/THIEVES. I think that the government needs to start offering incentives for American companies to remain in America. I think they need to fix the immigration problem. I think that they need to penalize big businesses for slavery (i.e. employing illegals at ridiculously low wages). I think that the public education problem needs to be fixed and get back to the basics (i.e. teaching a curriculum versus teaching some ridiculous test that means absolutely nothing; teaching cognitive skills, which many of American kids are seriously lacking).

There's a laundry list

Old 10-23-2007, 10:37 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,252,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayannaaaliyah View Post
I'm not left or right. I'm ALIVE and center
I'm right of center, but only because society is being dragged to the left, and I hate being dragged anywhere.. scuffs my new shoes

Old 10-23-2007, 11:02 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,587,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I'm right of center, but only because society is being dragged to the left, and I hate being dragged anywhere.. scuffs my new shoes
ha, cute

Old 10-23-2007, 11:08 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,578,958 times
As a flaming liberal, I only want everyone to have a base of benefits. I see it as our national, civic and human duty. Everyone should be able to work, have healthcare, good schools, access to college, a safe place to live, a place to live, something to eat. et. cetera. the government's job is to serve its people. If churches or others want to help, godspeed. However, only the governemnt can ENSURE these rights. An American, in the most powerful nation on earth, with dignity, should be able to have basic expectations of care. Europe, Canada, Japan, Australia, even cuba does it. We can too. If that means higher taxes, I will pay. If it means a change in governemnt, it is our right to change it. I am only one man, I don't have some clear-cut plan. But it is the right thing to do, and we should do it. Poverty isn't a lack of money, poverty is a lack of dignity and decensy. The governemnt doesn't need to dole out checks, the governemnt needs to dole out services. America is not evil, but America can do better. Associating progressive thought with the people who hate America is an attack on me. It is an attack on half the nation. I wish you would edit your original post, if you ask something respectfully, yuo will get the straightforward answers you are looking for. That question was marred by disrespect.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:09 PM

2,935 posts, read 5,006,538 times
I don't see how America's been "dragged to the left" on anything related to poverty or economics in the last 25 years.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:25 PM

989 posts, read 2,765,309 times
Default I think that the problem will need two parts

The first thing is an agreement of society that there is a certain point that we will not let people slip past (homelessness, no health-care, etc).

The second part is an agreement from everyone that they will not abuse the system and (as Rush Limbaugh says) "Use the safety net as a hammock".

I can't really find the fault in the desire to have either one come true, but neither one has happened
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies