Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
Yes 27 67.50%
No 13 32.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 10:55 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,495,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
There are a number of restrictions on marriage.
Age of consent.
Blood relation.
Number of participants.
Gender (in some states)
Race (before Loving v Virginia)

Each one has it's own reasons for being there.
The race restriction was removed because there was no valid reason to keep it.
The gender requirement is being removed because there is no valid reason to keep it.

Others may change, but each will have to stand or fall based on it's own merits.
Good points.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:56 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:
Fewer people would remain married for a lifetime.
Even a homosexual psychologist has acknowledged that "gay and lesbian couples dissolve their relationships more frequently than heterosexual couples." The same Dutch study that showed the high rate of homosexual promiscuity also showed that the average homosexual male "partnership" lasts only 1.5 years. As the transience of homosexual relationships is incorporated in society's image of "marriage," we can expect that fewer heterosexuals would maintain a lifelong commitment.
Well, maybe if they were married, they would stay together longer. Cohabiting couples in general split up more often than married people. Until they are granted official marital status, homosexuals are merely cohabiting. Once marriage, property, children, child support and alimony are involved, people tend to stay together more often.
Furthermore, what business is it of yours if people split up or not? how does it affect your marriage?

Old 03-28-2013, 10:57 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
That's great! Churches SHOULD be stripped of their tax exemptions and marriage counselors shouldn't be biased.
I am sorry, but I am not willing to subsidize gay marriage, or any other immorality with my money.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Demands for legalization of polygamy would grow.
If a person's choice of spouse cannot be limited based on the sex of one's partner, it is hard to see how it could be limited based on the number of spouses either. This argument is already being pressed in the courts.

So? As long as they're not marrying children, it's no skin off my nose.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:59 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,272,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Where did I say that? Adultery happens and it is bad, but heterosexual married men DO NOT have an average of eight sexual partners per year, but gay men (in steady relationships) do.
and what about those heterosexual couples who marry for only 2 months, then split? Kim Kardashian comes to mind.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:00 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Well, maybe if they were married, they would stay together longer. Cohabiting couples in general split up more often than married people. Until they are granted official marital status, homosexuals are merely cohabiting. Once marriage, property, children, child support and alimony are involved, people tend to stay together more often.
Furthermore, what business is it of yours if people split up or not? how does it affect your marriage?
The study was done in Holland, where gays can marry if they want, but it turns out they'd rather continue to jump from partner to partner, even while in relationship. This is not the kind of lifestyle a child should have to live through.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Fewer children would be raised by a married mother and father.
Social science has clearly proven clearly that children do best when raised by their own married biological mother and father. Yet legalizing same-sex "marriage" would put an official stamp of approval on the deliberate creation of permanently motherless or fatherless families. As scholar Stanley Kurtz says, this "would likely speed us on the way toward
. . . more frequent out-of-wedlock birth, and skyrocketing family dissolution."
More children would be raised by loving gay couples who are finally able to adopt.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:01 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Where did I say that? Adultery happens and it is bad, but heterosexual married men DO NOT have an average of eight sexual partners per year, but gay men (in steady relationships) do.

First, what does this have to do with lesbians?

Next, the missing part in this equation is WOMEN.

Dust off the thinking part of your brain, old man! lol!

Old 03-28-2013, 11:01 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,272,509 times
Quote:
I am sorry, but I am not willing to subsidize gay marriage, or any other immorality with my money.
then you don't mind the war on drugs?
that "your" money goes to feed the homeless, drug addicts, and welfare abusers?
that "your" money goes to funding wars that we have no business in.

Gay sex / marriage is no more immoral than a Christian couple who engage in oral sex

Old 03-28-2013, 11:02 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
The study was done in Holland, where gays can marry if they want, but it turns out they'd rather continue to jump from partner to partner, and even when in ralationship, they have other men on the side (eight per year).

That's none of your business. Why are you such a busy-body?

If my neighbors are swingers, that's between THEM. Every couple sets the rules for themselves. There is nothing in a marriage contract about SEX or FIDELITY, especially in the days of no-fault divorce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies