Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 08:49 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
I used "right" in response to the post where you used the word "right".

And I'm not a RW either.
The h*ll you did! Here is the entire conversation. YOU are the one who brought up "right" to health care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Good Lord! The anti-education bias of some RWs is something to behold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Wanting college professors the right to healthcare is clearly anti-education bias.
Quote:
Right to health care? Now it's a right? Did Rush say that last night or something? For years, the RW has told us there is no "right" to health care.

And this thread just bashes professors. "They can't get work anywhere else", etc, etc. yourself!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 08:49 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
You don't believe in personal responsibility? Professional adjuncts often seek masters or Ph.D.'s in already glutted areas of study. Then because they can't get Ph.D.'s or a tenure-track position, they choose to become adjuncts because they want to stay in academia in some way and administrators are more than happy to use/exploit their cheap labor.

Why anyone would subject themselves to being an adjunct is beyond me. But I respect their right to choose to do so.
I completely disagree. As a respected professional in my field, I have been approached on several occasions to teach a few classes as an adjunct. Choosing someone with my experience in the industry is not necessarily an effort to exploit cheap labor, its an effort to bring my experience and expertise to students who are seeking to achieve the same in a niche area of the field. Personally, I find it a bit of an honor to be held to such esteem. Whether I, or others like me, choose to accept such a responsibility and privilege is entirely up to me. I don't see why so many posters' on this forum feel such animosity towards adjuncts. In many cases, its considered a privilege to even be offered the opportunity to pass along the knowledge.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well they were working over 30 if their hours got slashed.
30-39 was redefined by the IRS to be full time status.

Anyone who worked over 30 as part time had to get their hours slashed to stay "part time".
The WSJ won't let me read their original article w/o subscribing. I don't know exactly what it said. However, there is no reason a college/university couldn't offer ins. to these profs. They're choosing not to and the law won't require them to.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:57 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
The WSJ won't let me read their original article w/o subscribing. I don't know exactly what it said. However, there is no reason a college/university couldn't offer ins. to these profs. They're choosing not to and the law won't require them to.
It's about the hours, not that the school won't give them insurance.

But now their hours are capped at 29 because of the IRS ruling.
It's not only schools doing this and I'm sure you've read of other companies capping p/t hours at 29.

This is only hurting those workers who didn't have insurance and wouldn't have had insurance anyway if the IRS didn't go and change the rules.

The IRS should have never redefined part time status vs full time status and left that for each company to define.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
It's about the hours, not that the school won't give them insurance.

But now their hours are capped at 29 because of the IRS ruling.
It's not only schools doing this and I'm sure you've read of other companies capping p/t hours at 29.

This is only hurting those workers who didn't have insurance and wouldn't have had insurance anyway if the IRS didn't go and change the rules.

The IRS should have never redefined part time status vs full time status and left that for each company to define.
Please show me where the law says that insurance CANNOT be offered to people working less than 29 hours.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:00 AM

6,354 posts, read 3,656,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
What goes around, comes around.

Academics who were so pleased that their theories of how the world "should" run are finally being put in place, are as surprised as such people usually are to find their ideals don't work in the real world.

The only thing I wonder about is:

How many times do we have to keep trying this? How many repeats of people being shocked, shocked do we have to go through, before we can finally get back to doing things they ways they actually work?

------------------------------------------------

http://www.aei-ideas.org/2013/01/confused-professors-shocked-schools-are-cutting-their-hours-to-avoid-obamacare-penalties/

Confused professors shocked schools are cutting their hours to avoid Obamacare penalties

Marc Thiessen | January 23, 2013, 9:46 am

Barack Obama is a former adjunct professor of constitutional law, and no group has been more solidly supportive of his liberal agenda than the professorial class. So it is a sweet irony that the latest group getting hammered by the mandates of Obamacare are … wait for it … adjunct professors.

The Wall Street Journal reports:

The federal health-care overhaul is prompting some colleges and universities to cut the hours of adjunct professors. [...] The Affordable Care Act requires large employers to offer a minimum level of health insurance to employees who work 30 hours a week or more starting in 2014, or face a penalty. The mandate is a particular challenge for colleges and universities, which increasingly rely on adjuncts to help keep costs down as states have scaled back funding for higher education.

You can just imagine the outraged conversations in the faculty lounge now: “We’re professors. I thought stuff like this only happened to manual laborers at Wendy’s and Taco Bell!â€

Looks like the academy is finally getting a lesson in the costs of big government liberalism.
Americas best doctors want a health care system like Obamacare, and America spends way too much money on healthcare. But the funny thing is American conservative (brains) could fix all the problems with Obamacare.

But conservatives want to "follow" the Fox news CEO's, and bash Obama and do tax cuts like these.

Romney's Economic Plan Includes $6.6 Trillion Tax Cut For The Rich And Corporations | ThinkProgress

(that whole $6.6 trillion dollars would have went to our national debt.)

I wish you republicans would fix all the problems with Obamacare that you notice, but conservatives only want to bash Obama, and do supply side tax cuts.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:01 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Please show me where the law says that insurance CANNOT be offered to people working less than 29 hours.
I seems like you have not been keeping up with this.

With the IRS ruling employers are mandated to offer insurance to anyone working 30 hours or more because the IRS defined 30 hours as full time.

Companies that didn't offer insurance to p/t workers capped their hours at 29 to keep them at part time.

This has nothing to do with companies that already offer insurance to anyone with any hours.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
I seems like you have not been keeping up with this.

With the IRS ruling employers are mandated to offer insurance to anyone working 30 hours or more because the IRS defined 30 hours as full time.

Companies that didn't offer insurance to p/t workers capped their hours at 29 to keep them at part time.

This has nothing to do with companies that already offer insurance to anyone with any hours.
OK, I read the article linked in the OP, which is an opinion piece, not news reporting. It references exactly two schools, one a community college where they use a lot of adjuncts, and one a small university in Youngstown, Ohio. Anecdotal evidence does not prove anything.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:21 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,610,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I completely disagree. As a respected professional in my field, I have been approached on several occasions to teach a few classes as an adjunct. Choosing someone with my experience in the industry is not necessarily an effort to exploit cheap labor, its an effort to bring my experience and expertise to students who are seeking to achieve the same in a niche area of the field. Personally, I find it a bit of an honor to be held to such esteem. Whether I, or others like me, choose to accept such a responsibility and privilege is entirely up to me. I don't see why so many posters' on this forum feel such animosity towards adjuncts. In many cases, its considered a privilege to even be offered the opportunity to pass along the knowledge.
That distinction between the kind of adjunct you describe and adjuncts who do nothing but adjunct as their sole means of employment was made long ago in this thread. The person at the heart of the article that led to this thread is the latter.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:32 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,610,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelva View Post
Yeah, I know, because when Walmart doesn't offer (enough) benefits, 'for eons', that's one thing; but adjuncts... and the university, well, that's another story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
It isn't liberals calling for the slashing of university budgets. Liberals would have adjuncts treated as real teachers who can making a living teaching at one school. You think that conservatives would ever allow that? No way. The rise of the adjunct goes hand-in-hand with the lack of support for higher education, as the WSJ article makes clear:
Trying reading the thread before posting.

And 99% of adjuncts have never been offered health care and never will by the colleges they teach for. You all are whining about something that this guy and others like them never had through their employers: healthcare. If anything Obamacare enables them to have healthcare where many likely did not before.

And teaching two classes at a school doesn't bring that instructor anywhere close to 29 hours. The guy had a class cut. Happens all the time. You all want to make Obamacare the cause. It isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies