Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 06:41 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,206,642 times

Advertisements

Sorry, but most of you are full of crap. You need to get past your nutty ideology and use some freaking common sense for once. I look at the world as a business person. You can either focus on the short term or the long term. Short term profits put cash in your pocket, but it can destroy you in the long term (look at Walmart right now, or any number of companies driven by short term profit) OR you can build your business and reinvest, to make sure that you have something sustainable.

Communities are really no different, and that's all she's saying. If we want an educated workforce that can compete on a global basis, create innovative technology and build jobs in this country, and if we want safe communities, we need to ALL buy in to making sure that our schools are good and that we invest in our youth. Of course parents are individually responsible for their children, but they can't change the big picture items like education on their own--that's up to all of us together.

If you're calling taking a longer term view of building strong communities and an educated workforce a "brown shirt" move, then you have more problems than I can address on a message board. And for the record--Harris NEVER said a word about collective child rearing. You need to stop reading nutty blogs that distort information--you'd actually be able to talk about facts vs. ranting hysterically.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
It does take a community to raise a child. It takes a community that takes safety, good schools, engaged communities, and environments of learning to help people do better in life. I thought everyone (right or left) was pretty well agreed on that.

If you don't like things like that...well, I don't understand. If you want to raise your kid in unsafe areas with apathetic communities where the schools are terrible, I guess you can find that if you want. I would love to see people's faces when you tell them that.
Conservatives have ALWAYS agreed with that position--that is until the crazy train started driving the "new" republicans.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:59 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the mask View Post
And when they say "community" they mean "government". Welcome to Hitler's American, as dreamed of by liberals.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:00 AM

1,072 posts, read 1,378,166 times
MSNBC just needs to go away.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:04 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Conservatives have ALWAYS agreed with that position--that is until the crazy train started driving the "new" republicans.

And you know what conservatives think because you are a liberal and thus omnipotent?

Conservatives have never thought this. If you knew what conservatives knew, you would not be a liberal.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:04 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,398,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23145tp View Post
MSNBC just needs to go away.

They do have some of the lowest ratings on TV. Hopefully they will just go away at some point. Kind of like Air America did.

The same Air America that Rachel Maddow was on before moving to MSNBC.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
And you know what conservatives think because you are a liberal and thus omnipotent?

Conservatives have never thought this. If you knew what conservatives knew, you would not be a liberal.
You tend to function in extremist right crazy land, so I hardly think you're the standard for what a "conservative" is. You know nothing about what it takes to actually "build" something like a business. As for the rest, I grew up in a conservative family, my family has worked and held office in republican politics, and I voted that way until the rise of the teavangelicals. I've registered as an independent since then. I'm still a common sense, small business oriented conservative. Unfortunately, that's a whole lot different than being a republican these days.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:16 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Of course they have. How many times have we heard someone on that side fondly remember the "good old days" when everyone in a neighborhood looked out for all the kids? Now , because someone they love to hate advocates that very thing it is somehow "communism."
And many of the same people are in that other thread applauding the plan to deprive families of their benefits if kids do poorly in school. Because that so respects the sanctity of the family.
Riiight.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:20 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
Quote:
So the kids are not ours but our community's? So if something goes wrong with my kid can I blame society?

Old 04-05-2013, 07:25 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Of course they have. How many times have we heard someone on that side fondly remember the "good old days" when everyone in a neighborhood looked out for all the kids? Now , because someone they love to hate advocates that very thing it is somehow "communism."
And many of the same people are in that other thread applauding the plan to deprive families of their benefits if kids do poorly in school. Because that so respects the sanctity of the family.
Riiight.
In the absence of a child's parents, it is certainly acceptable for a neighbor to keep an eye out for the children of the neighborhood. That is not saying that the kids belong to the community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies