Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 08:00 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
Once again setting up a society of lazy!

BO wants to keep handing out freebies to his entitlement voting base so he can keep them in line and doped up on the kool aide. The sad thing is, it comes on the backs of those of us whom actually believe in working for what we want/need.

The left has become an embarrassment to our country.
Ahem. The phone program was established by Reagan and expanded to cell phones by Clinton and then Bush. So, before you blabber about Obama handing out freebees to his voter base, get your facts straight -- or should I say, stayinformed.

Source: snopes.com: Free 'ObamaPhones' for Welfare Recipients

Old 04-18-2013, 08:09 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,241,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Why did you leave government out of the picture ?
If it weren't for government their "design" would go nowhere.

83+ means tested programs and you think we're "looking down" on them ?
LOL..they are probably "looking down" on us and laughing all the way to the bank.
I guess you never read anything from the OP's link, you're on a roll of not being very well informed here, perhaps you should take a few minutes and read the articles from the OP and mine too.

Quote:
AVALON PARK — A little more than a year ago, Sharon Bryant moved from public housing and into her own apartment in Englewood.
Bryant said she owes it all to the Internet.
"I never really knew much about the Internet, so I didn't bother to learn how to use it until I needed a job," said Bryant, 22. "That's when I discovered that most jobs require that you submit your resume or fill out an application online.

I know conservative types don't want to give poor people any more help than they're receiving presently, but that's ok, I'm fine with that, republicans keep dragging the poor and working class through the muck, it'll be an easy win for democrats in 2016.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:12 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
If we were a truly advanced country, everyone would have free Wi-Fi anyways.

The saddest part of all is that our country is not organized and/or advanced enough to do this.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:14 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Limited internet access should be free to all for surfing. Downloads/upload of files should cost money.
Free? Really? Who do you think actually pays the costs for these "free" programs? What you really mean to say is that you want someone else to pay for your toy, don't you?

Old 04-18-2013, 08:15 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
I guess you never read anything from the OP's link, you're on a roll of not being very well informed here, perhaps you should take a few minutes and read the articles from the OP and mine too.

I know conservative types don't want to give poor people any more help than they're receiving presently, but that's ok, I'm fine with that, republicans keep dragging the poor and working class through the muck, it'll be an easy win for democrats in 2016.
I doubt we'll have much extra money by 2016 for the "necessities" the poor need.

That a 22 year old didn't know about the internet is a pretty far stretch.

A 65 year old I could believe but not a 22 year old unless they didn't attend school here in the US.
My son is that age and they've been using computers in school since elementary along with internet.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:16 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:

I was under the impression that one of the main reasons we were still subsidizing libraries to the extent that we are is that they "provide free internet to those too poor to afford it". I guess this person was just too lazy to walk to her local library and had to have it given to her at her own house.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:17 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
If we were a truly advanced country, everyone would have free Wi-Fi anyways.

The saddest part of all is that our country is not organized and/or advanced enough to do this.
If the telecommunications really gave out "free wi-fi" then where would they earn their money from ?
No service is FREE my friend. Someone is paying for it.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:17 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Perpetuating poverty is the design of the wealthy, and large corporations.

Why be bitter and rancid with your posts?

I knew that people who look down upon the poor would become more incensed, which is why I posted the link to the story, I knew it would bring out the worst in people who really do hate the poor in America. Thanks for confirming my suspicions. Well done!
Perpetual poverty is the design of government, and left wing kooks who somehow think, giving them things, lead them to propserity..

"Food stamps stimulate", Show me ONE neighborhood that has prospered after increased poverty programs..

JUST ONE.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:20 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
As long as you want to live in a select set of zip codes in poor neighborhoods.

On the merits of the program, the linked article indicates it is worthwhile. On Internet cost in general, in the U.S. Internet access is an oligopoly controlled by a few players who keep costs high. In Europe, the cost of high speed Internet is a faction of the cost. The idea that wifi should be a public service available everywhere, is also a good idea.
In Europe, internet connection sucks ass. Nothing fast about it. And wireless in Europe? Good luck! One antenna on the ground floor does nothing for me in my hotel room on the 10th floor.

Me thinks you need to cross the pond more often.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:24 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
they better hurry, 2014 will get here before we know it.

[Reporter]
You got free Internet?

[Welfare Lady]
(screaming loud) Yes! Everybody in Cleveland, low minorities, got free Internet. Keep Democrats in power, you know? They give us a free phone, free Internet!

[Reporter]
He gave you free Internet?

[Welfare Lady]
He gonna do more!

[Reporter] Source: LYBIO.net
How did he give you free Internet?

[Welfare Lady]
You sign up. If you’re… If you on food stamps, you on Social Security, you got low income, you disability…

Welfare Lady – Obama Voter Says Vote For Democrats Because they give Free Internet. You sign up. If you’re… If you on food stamps, you on Social Security, you got low income, you disability…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies