Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2013, 01:59 AM

3,598 posts, read 4,949,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rural City Gal View Post
Can we discuss this? Can we also discuss that it's unfair how blacks are looked down upon when we enter a genre that we created, and that whites barely acknowledge us as the creators?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=JsXK1w0Yrm4

I was watching this on yt, and was shocked at the comments being made by whites.Are they really that oblivious?
"whites barely acknowledge us as the creators?"

Are you serious? Some the the BEST creators and pioneers in music have been black and everybody knows it.

Jimi Hendrix Voodoo Child (Slight Return) Live Rainbow Bridge Maui, Hawaii, USA 1970 - YouTube

This one is a 3-for-1 of black, innovative geniuses:

james Brown Michael Jackson PRINCE-Beverly Theatre august 20 1983 - YouTube

Looking for metal? Not "apples-to-apples" enough for ya? This is one of my all-time favorite black metal songs and I was blastin' this in my Datsun 280ZX before some of you were even born:

Living Colour - Cult Of Personality - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 05:01 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,912,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Pederman View Post
Here ya go:

Animals As Leaders - "CAFO" Prosthetic Records - YouTube

Animals As Leaders are one of the bigger bands in the whole "djent" scene, which is the newer hotness in heavy music. Internet dorks cream their jeans all the time over Tosin Abasi. As for influence he's got tons of endorsements and signature guitars and whatnot already. So obviously there's a market for emulating him.
Tosin is not only an amazing player, the videos of him explaining his technique can keep me occupied for hours and I don't even play a musical instrument.

Back in the 80's it was interesting for about 30 seconds to see a black guy in a rock band and then the music took over. My favorite band happens to have dUg Pinnick singing for them. Now the only thing said about dUg (that's how he spells it) on You Tube is "He looks great for being in his early 60's" and "Hey. A left handed bass player."

King's X - Out Of The Silent Planet (Live) - YouTube

Another example is Memphis' own Eric Gales. I happened to see him on the Arsenio Hall show (that long ago) when he was 16. He's left handed and plays that way but the guitar is a right handed model strung for a right handed player. He can play the blues because his is living it. His drug issues have landed him in jail more than once. Hopefully he is one the right track now.

Eric Gales, "Make It There" Oct 19, 2012 - YouTube

What happens when dUg and Eric get together with Thomas Pridgen (Mars Volta)? You get this.

Pinnick Gales Pridgen - "Hang On, Big Brother" - YouTube

Old 04-26-2013, 06:08 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,336,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooshi View Post
I think its probably fair to say that Chuck Berry contributed more to the sound of rock 'n' roll than Elvis Presley...
I think it's probably fair to say that goes without saying.

Not knockin' Elvis who was an amazing performer and certainly helped popularize rock and roll, no question.

But Chuck was a great perfomer as well, and was a guitar god and great songwriter to boot, which Elvis certainly was not.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:00 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
Wow... just wow... thankyouthankyouthankyou to the peeps who GOT IT, and posted examples of black musicians playing ROCK music!!! The posters insisting that Stevie Ray Vaughan or Led Zepplin paid homage to their influences are missing the point. In the second case, as I understand it, it was under duress that LZ began to give credit to their influences, and in the first case, blues musicians are sometimes, but not always, ROCK musicians. Albert King, B.B. King, Muddy Waters and even Buddy Guy are hard to bury. It has been much harder to sustain a dynasty of black rockers the way blues, jazz, R&B and more recently Rap and Hip Hop have been able to nurture generation after generation of new black talent.

I've got no links to offer, but back in the day, a bit before Living Colour, black musicians with a taste for ROCK found work backing George Clinton in the various outfits he put together. Eddie Hazel, Michael Hampton, Bernie Worrel, Bootsy Colins. They were playing funk, but it ROCKED a lot of the time. I am happy to have found this thread and managed to hang with it long enough to find the later posts linking the sister singing death metal and the power trio singing "Big Brother". I now a few more sources of inspiration besides back in the day pioneers!!

Corey Glover (Living Colour) grew up in my church. I was his choir director. I didn't teach him to sing but I used his amazing voice in the youth choir for several years. Then his career took off and he left us to make history. I wanted to rock too. Black churches are great places to learn R&B but they won't give you much exposure to a ROCK format. I still don't know where Corey got the bug. The particular black church we grew up in was practically all Caribbean and very, very Classical. There are even fewer black musicians working in Classical Music than ROCK. What few there are, are nearly all vocalists. There has only been the one pianist, Andre Watts and there is a principal Horn player in a major symphony somewhere, and a conductor. I now work in an all white church where I am the organist and also the bassist in the ROCK band. I found it hard to transfer my thoroughly classical approach to keyboard playing to rock music so I started fresh with a new instrument and its working well. I'm still a freak. Jimi was a freak. Whoopi. Living Colour didn't last.

It gets old, finally getting to be what you've always wanted to be but having to live like some kind of zoo exhibit. I'm longing for the day when it won't be newsworthy that blacks can, and do, ROCK OUT!

H

Old 04-26-2013, 10:11 AM

1,728 posts, read 1,778,165 times
Fishin for reparations?

Old 04-26-2013, 10:11 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Are people suppose to play six degrees to (insert your black musician here) every time they talk about rock music?

Old 04-26-2013, 10:13 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Common Anomaly View Post
Clapton...God? Alvin Lee (white guy) blows him away. Yet, 10 Years After takes a back seat ticket to Clapton and Cream. In fact, many band take a back seat to Clapton and it is not just blacks - Steve Windwood and Traffic, The Guess Who, and Steppenwolf to name a few off the top of my head.

The idea that to elevate Clapton as God is bogus.

Janis Joplin....do people even listen to her anymore?
Set aside any "God" hype and Eric Clapton is very high on my list of great musicians and guitar players. I most appreciate that he doesn't stray far from the blues and his Stratocaster work just sounds right.

As for Janis - I listen to Janis every week. She is one of the musicians I most wish didn't die before their time. Stevie Ray is another on that list.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:15 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Can we discuss this? Can we also discuss that it's unfair how blacks are looked down upon when we enter a genre that we created, and that whites barely acknowledge us as the creators?

I was watching this on yt, and was shocked at the comments being made by whites.Are they really that oblivious?
uhm

Chuck Berry, Fats domino, Chubby Checker

Old 04-26-2013, 10:23 AM

602 posts, read 574,315 times
Quote:

They didn't "create" R&R. Music evolves from past music.

BUT, I do wish more would get into R&R. You also cant blame the small % on just on whites, though. A lot is probably due to peer influence as well, which would push them towards hip hop.

Personally, my favorite artist ever is Hendrix. Has been for a long time and I don't see it changing, so I have no problem with blacks in R&R. The more people that get into Rock/Blues the better IMO.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:25 AM

602 posts, read 574,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
....thought you were talking about REAL Rock'nRoll......

yeah. Not bad but definitely not my style.

Here's one of the better songs from the late 80s/early 90s rock scene:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies