Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 10:17 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayid Linus View Post
I don't like it. But it is necessary for roads, schools, snow removal, etc., don't you think? I mean I don't like getting out of bed every morning but I get why I have to, you dig?
How did we fund the military, win multiple wars, build roads, schools, bridges before there was an income tax?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
NO ONE gives up anything near 50% of the product of their labor. Americans on average pay an EFFECTIVE tax rate (what they actually pay in taxes NET NET) of 11-12%.

Not their TAX BRACKET. Their TAX RATE. These are two different things.
Actually a lot of people give up nearly 50% of their income, depending on where you live. There are far more than just income taxes.. Property taxes, sales taxes, gasoline taxes, and lets not forget about those "fees" one must pay.

What I think is seriously hypocritical of the left, when someone says the poor dont pay enough, you guys start shouting about how they pay all of these items, and now that the question is why others are happy to pay them, you start to pretend they dont exist..

Old 04-27-2013, 10:22 AM

2,476 posts, read 2,604,247 times
The bigger question to you "tax tax lovers".....when is enough enough?
Do you want insane European type of tax system...how's that working for Europe lol.

You people are a joke...we are taxed to death yet our streets are filled with potholes/highways are crap/there are tolls up the wazoo, funny you tax lovers don't even understand truly how taxed we are but you fools keep on asking for more taxes.
We have Highway bills every few yrs for billions/gas tax all for fixing and maintaining our infrastructure and it's falling apart.....hmmmm do you kind of think we are wasting tax money and probably don't need to be taxed this high?

Yes we need "SOME" taxes obviously but good god what is it with you people. I've come to the conclusion that people who think govt is the answer.....have no self confidence and are scared as children.
Govt can't run sh*t but you people keep asking for big govt....really is pathetic.

Oh then again we should ask the shrimp on the treadmill.....funny I think the shrimp represents Americans.

You people need to wake up!

Old 04-27-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Again, you're notion is incorrect. On your hypothetical $28k the avg. tax bill is around 11-12%. So, it's not $14k less...it's just over $3k less. That's right...$28k-$3k = $25k (approx.). That is $11k more than you've estimated. So the situation, a person who only makes $28k needs all the money they can to survive, they actually DO have more money.

And factoid #2...The national average wage in the U.S. is $42k, NOT $28k.

Per Capita Personal Income U.S. and All States

National Average Wage Index
And what do they pay in property taxes, and sales taxes, and the various other taxes? Why are you only discussing one tax, and then pretending its the sum of them all?

Old 04-27-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrymac View Post
The bigger question to you "tax tax lovers".....when is enough enough?
Well these people dont usually mind asking for more because they are the takers. Its so easy to demand others pay a tax if it doesnt affect you.

Look at how they celebrated Buffet, calling for higher taxes on "the rich", and then used his endorsement as a reason to vote for Obama.. Are too stupid to understand is that Buffet called on higher taxes on EVERYONE ELSE, not himself, (since his income is actually quite small compared to his wealth)?

Their hypocrites, and proud of it, or their just dumb and dont comprehend. I havent yet chosen which it is.

At least I'm honest about it, I admit I dont pay federal taxes, but I dont run around demanding others pay more..

Old 04-27-2013, 10:30 AM

2,476 posts, read 2,604,247 times
Funny if we just use the Constitution (for all you liberals) like we are suppose to.... Article 1 Sect. 8..you know the Enumerated powers thing and article 10 of the amendments.......problem solved!

Old 04-27-2013, 10:30 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,095,507 times
On what is called today "sin taxes". And there was no funding for schools, roads, bridges....just wars, military and well of course the salaries of the "legislators" and chief executives.

The U.S. actually established the first income tax to pay for a war, taxing gold, or what we would call today capital gains. Then after another war, and when slavery ended the U.S. needed to find more "tranches" to fill the expanding coffers, turned to "inheritance" taxes, tariff's and gasp...a higher income tax.

Old 04-27-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Actually a lot of people give up nearly 50% of their income, depending on where you live. There are far more than just income taxes.. Property taxes, sales taxes, gasoline taxes, and lets not forget about those "fees" one must pay.

What I think is seriously hypocritical of the left, when someone says the poor dont pay enough, you guys start shouting about how they pay all of these items, and now that the question is why others are happy to pay them, you start to pretend they dont exist..

When you're talking about fee's and local taxes, that's another topic. The OP is discussing income taxes. And that's no where near 50%.

Property taxes, sales, gas (mostly) are all local taxes. They vary and are independent of income taxes. Those states who have low property taxes, normally have high income taxes/sales tax/and local taxes. The money comes out in the end for everyone.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A FREE LUNCH.

And I'm glad you're obviously listening when people are shouting about how the poor actually do pay enough. For the OP's assertion...let's take the $42k income. Take 11-12% federal out of it...then take State & Local, which for our argument let's take the highest/lowest (9.44% & 5.34%). So now we're talking 20% and 16% (based on the lowest income tax of 11%). Compare that to what Mittens paid...14%. It's a much larger number, but it's not reflective on HOW that tax effects the payee. Mittens (who still payed far, far less than most in his category granted), is paying the same amount as someone who is making $42 and living in the lowest combined tax area (less actually).

So...who's pretending taxes don't exist?

The lesson has ended here. Taxes in America 101, like all other things in America isn't free.

Old 04-27-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
When you're talking about fee's and local taxes, that's another topic. The OP is discussing income taxes. And that's no where near 50%.
Actually the OP says taxes, not specificially income taxes

Old 04-27-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
And what do they pay in property taxes, and sales taxes, and the various other taxes? Why are you only discussing one tax, and then pretending its the sum of them all?
Your lesson is above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies