Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 03:16 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,435,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed Potatoes View Post
This is a simple question to those who support open borders, or the loosening of requirements to enter the U.S.

Why should it be made easier for anyone and everyone who wishes to relocate to the U.S. to actually do so?

A decision on employment should be between a employer and the employee. As long as the employee has rights (something our current visa program sometimes takes away by locking employees to employers). . .than I'm i'm okay with what the employee/employer decides.

The US should
1) verify the persons criminal history (lack of one)
2) verify the person has been offered/has a job
3) if the job is lost the person should be deported after a short amount of time
4) some tax/cost to pay for the administration of 1/2/3

I see govt. regulation in this (non loose immigration policy) as protectionist and in the end holds back growth, employment, and innovation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 03:22 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
A decision on employment should be between a employer and the employee. As long as the employee has rights (something our current visa program sometimes takes away by locking employees to employers). . .than I'm i'm okay with what the employee/employer decides.

The US should
1) verify the persons criminal history (lack of one)
2) verify the person has been offered/has a job
3) if the job is lost the person should be deported after a short amount of time
4) some tax/cost to pay for the administration of 1/2/3

I see govt. regulation in this (non loose immigration policy) as protectionist and in the end holds back growth, employment, and innovation.
So in otherwords you don't think that an employer should have to prove first that he couldn't find a qualified American to do the job? Growth? Why do we need growth? Why not have a smaller economy to fit a smaller population? Less demands on our social infrastructures and more jobs for Americans without the influx of foreigners taking them. Innovation? Oh I guess Americans are too stupid to innovate, right?

Old 05-02-2013, 03:24 PM

144 posts, read 123,118 times
If we're too lax on immigration controls then companies would innovate in the direction of warehousing tens of thousands of chinese engineers etc. a la Foxconn until local hires were just as cheap.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier of FORTRAN View Post
As standards of living rise, birth rates fall.

Immigration is the only reason the US is experiencing population growth and we're sufficiently capitalist to require constant (economic) growth, something which is hugely problematized by a stagnant or declining population.

I don't care if we establish some kind of crazy Swiss like system where you can legally attain permanent residency but citizenship is nigh impossible (establishing de facto second class citizenry), but we have to keep growing our population.
Our birthrates are at replacement levels. Why anyone feels the need to make our population grow more and more is beyond me.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:27 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,495,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed Potatoes View Post
This is a simple question to those who support open borders, or the loosening of requirements to enter the U.S.
I've probably missed it, but I don't recall reading comments from anyone advocating "open borders." When did that discussion take place?

Old 05-02-2013, 03:31 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,300,744 times
If someone can clear a stringent background check I have no problem allowing anyone into the country especially if they restrict welfare benefits to citizens only.

You don't understand, that's why its so hard for Americans to emigrate elsewhere is because we give the rest of the world's people an incredibly hard time (including Britons, Germans, New Zealanders, etc). There can be some common sense here.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
If someone can clear a stringent background check I have no problem allowing anyone into the country especially if they restrict welfare benefits to citizens only.

You don't understand, that's why its so hard for Americans to emigrate elsewhere is because we give the rest of the world's people an incredibly hard time (including Britons, Germans, New Zealanders, etc). There can be some common sense here.
There is one thing you are missing. We don't need anymore foreign competition for jobs here. With illegal immigration and outsourcing our job oportunities are non existant except in some fields.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:41 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,300,744 times
We live in a global economy, I don't mind the competition because the job market already favors the business who will outsource the job either way. At least with restrictions lifted I can move freely throughout the world to compete for jobs.

America holds its own people hostage, while businesses can operate internationally with impunity.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:45 PM

1,137 posts, read 972,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineComedy View Post

Really?
The way that I see it there is no right to deny a person entry into any country
Evidently the entire concept of sovereignty doesnt exist in your mind.

WOW

Old 05-02-2013, 04:10 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,324,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Our culture is to abide by the ways of the old? What does that mean? How does making it harder for people to come here not fix the problem of too much population growth? A bandaid????
The poster I was replying was asking why someone was talking about how we dealt with things hundreds of years ago as it pertains to immigration. I was pointing out that many people in this country still talk about a paper that was written 200 years ago as if it had any relevence in today's world, making the point that that's what we do in this country.
Also, read what I said, I said that the only reason for stronger immigration is because of overpopulation. I said it's just a bandaid though because we're already overpopulated and unless a large % of people stop making more babies, that problem isn't going away anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies