Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 03:46 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Thanks for reminding us of the true definition of an anti-Semite: someone that Jews don't like.
You nailed it! I married a Jewish man, and yet I was called an anti-Semite constantly by another poster because he didn`t like me.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:55 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,483,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
At least it will never, ever happen in a Catholic Church. Without the approval of the Catholic Church, what is the point of marriage anyway?
Are you confusing the United States of America with Vatican City?

Old 05-08-2013, 03:56 PM

1,963 posts, read 1,823,482 times
Great news for Delaware, and the rest of the country.

Progress, friends.

Old 05-08-2013, 04:57 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Political opportunism on Christies part? If is thinking of running for prez he cant alienate the religous right. Or is he really opposed. In any case, no votes from me, if he's the GOP nom in some future prez election.! So much for GOP "moderation".
I think you are correct; because leaders of various LGBT organizations in New Jersey say that on all other issues Gov. Christie is surprising pro-gay. As a "consolation prize" to the pro-same sex marriage constituents Gov. Christie actually nominated the first openly gay man to sit on the state Supreme Court.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:07 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
..yeah, I think there is going to be some upper limit to states permitting gay marriage. A lot of states have amended their Constitutions to forbid this (Ohio was one, and the language in Ohios can be construed to ban partnership recognition as well),

....and I dont see these amendments being repealed anytime soon.
Oh? I disagree.

I see the amendments in at least a half dozen states being challenged within just another year or two.

Besides, there will be judicial battles going on. Couples married in states where same sex marriage are legal and recognized are going to sue in the courts for recognition when they move to other states. Almost no one can remember the time decades ago when most Americans had to fly out to Reno, Nevada, in order to get a divorce ... but when those divorces were finalized they legally divorced in all the other states.

Let's see what the Supreme Court's decision is in little over a month concerning Windsor v. United States which is about the legality of DOMA.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:27 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Who cares? Not everyone is Catholic, not every marriage ceremony is done in a Catholic church. You don't even need a church to be legally married in this country.
Jesus Christ himself started the Catholic Church. That's why you should care. Gays will never be married in the Catholic Church, not in 1000 years.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:29 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Are you confusing the United States of America with Vatican City?
Are you confusing Marriage with a civil union? Or some Justice of the Peace sham?

Old 05-08-2013, 05:31 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
In case you didn't notice, most Americans support extending equal rights to gay couples. It is people like yourself who are writing your own political obituary. You're on the wrong side of history and the number of people who agree with you dwindles a little bit every time some angry old bigot who's stuck in the past (probably holding up a "race mixing is communism" sign back in the day) croaks.

Don't get too excited about eleven left-leaning states legalizing same-sex marriage.

DOMA is still the rule and same-sex marriage the exception with the overwhelming majority of states prohibiting homosexual marriage.

In fact, 30 of the existing state DOMAs are amendments to their state constitutions.

Do you really think those states will tolerate having same-sex marriage forced on them?

Old 05-08-2013, 05:35 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,483,423 times
Quote:
Are you confusing Marriage with a civil union? Or some Justice of the Peace sham?
No, I'm living in a free country where the civil authority has nothing to do with religion, ergo religion has nothing to do with civil marriage.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:37 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,046,395 times
Quote:
Jesus Christ himself started the Catholic Church. That's why you should care. Gays will never be married in the Catholic Church, not in 1000 years.
And I'm sure gays are all torn up and crying about it.

In reality, however, I'm sure they're realising the fact that Catholic Church is not the only entity that can wed people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.