Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 12:37 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,709,672 times

Advertisements

More vacuous posturing instead of discussing the topic? Really?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 12:38 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,479,664 times
They hire. In Bangladesh. In Central America. In Indonesia. Only place they have no desire to create jobs is where they are citizens.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:44 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,266,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
They hire. In Bangladesh. In Central America. In Indonesia. Only place they have no desire to create jobs is where they are citizens.
They actually are hiring domestically, but they aren't hiring fast enough to absorb the public sector job losses and population growth.

http://www.urban.org/UploadedPDF/412...he-Hardest.pdf

Old 05-15-2013, 01:07 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,954,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Good post, MTA, but how is it that the only parts of the US health care market that feature rising quality through innovation and ever-lower costs are free of both excessive government involvement and third-party payment mechanisms? Check out the free-market history of vision correction surgery. As a second point, look at the success of attempts to bring free market principles into mainstream health care via high-deductible health plans.

And let me say this, I like many aspects of the Affordable Care Act and I have an open mind about what we out to do to repair its glaring defects.
There are lots of reasons why health care can’t be sold like bread. You also can’t rely on experience because you don't know the quality of health care and insurance policies until after you're sick, when it's already too late. Comparison shopping doesn't work either. (I hear there is a sale on stents over at St. Mary’s!)

The high-deductible health plans are less effective than one thinks. The idea behind them is based on the theory that for every splinter people run to a doctor, because the insurance company is paying. But the big costs are not doctors visits, it's emergency room and surgery. Nobody is going to the ER or getting a bypass because the insurance company is paying. So what high-deductible health plans do is just make insurance companies more profitable by having the patient pick-up a higher percent of the cost. They don't reduce overall medical costs.

That coupled with the fact that insurance companies try to deny as much as possible, because they lose money paying for medical expenses, and one can see why free enterprise doesn't work for health care.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:11 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
And yet again, you're talking to someone who has effectively been living where an affordable care act has been in force for over six years.

But heck - go ahead and knock yourself out spreading vacuous fear, uncertainty and doubt, if that's what rocks your world.
But yet it is runned by a STATE, we all know the Federal government is a different story all together. How many laws over the years have been been screwed up in the process of going through everything.

I could be wrong, I just don't see enough positives right now. The expected negatives to positives are vary small.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:13 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,653,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Your comments reveal the utter contempt some people (typically the Union types) have for their employers.

What you describe is not reality. It is certainly not what I have experienced in my life, and I'm sure it isn't what most others have experienced either.

No employer would have anything to gain from running a business in such a manner, and treating employees as you describe. That business would be unable to hire anyone for any long term employment, which most companies wish to do, as training costs money, and well trained employees who stay with a company are an asset that no company would care to squander.

Loyal employees that are well trained, and willing to work hard for their employer because they like their job's and the company they work for increase a company's profits because of the efficiency that results when you have a team. This is what all businesses strive for.

Employees that are unwilling to be part of the team, who view their company and their boss negatively, and with an attitude displayed such as yours, are quickly dispatched. They bring down everyone around them. Nobody wants to work near people like this.
Doesn't matter. In reality, during the recession millions of people lost the jobs that earned them a middle-class income, and these jobs have not been replaced. Instead job growth has been in lower paying, less-qualified positions. Unless people are being hired back into the old jobs at lower pay, I guess that's also possible--in which case employees are still being screwed. Either way, "job creators" have not replaced all those middle-class jobs.

How the recession turned middle-class jobs into low-wage jobs

Last edited by ellemint; 05-15-2013 at 02:27 PM..

Old 05-15-2013, 02:32 PM

Mid-wage occupations, paying between $13.83 and $21.13 per hour, made up 60 percent of the job losses during the recession, but have made up just 27 percent of the jobs gained during the recovery. "Many mid-wage industries, such as construction, manufacturing, insurance, real estate and information technology, have either stagnated or grown too slowly to make up for their pre-recession losses."

"By contrast, low-wage occupations paying less than $13.83 per hour have utterly dominated the recovery, with 58 percent of the job gains since 2010.

Nearly 40 percent of the jobs gained in the recovery — about 1.7 million — have come from three low-wage sectors: food services, retail, and employment services (that last is a broad category encompassing jobs like office clerks and sales representatives)."

How well can you live off of one of those jobs?

How the recession turned middle-class jobs into low-wage jobs

Old 05-15-2013, 02:33 PM
bUU

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
But yet it is runned by a STATE, we all know the Federal government is a different story all together.
Health exchanges are run by STATES, that are conscientious enough to run them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
How many laws over the years have been been screwed up in the process of going through everything.
There are loads of idiotic STATE implementations of laws for which there are superior implementations at the federal level. I guess it depends on just how intent state officials, enabled by their constituents, are to corrupt their own state in the interest of making petty partisan points regarding health care.

Regardless, my state's implementation of ACA is excellent. We have over six years of experience with it. The passage of ACA requires comparatively little change, here. And we're going to have no significant problems that we wouldn't have had without ACA. If we can do it, then your state should be able to, if you're willing to do so.

I predict almost all the failures associated with ACA will be attributable to egoistic state legislators and officials deliberately "screwing things up" for their own people. And people, perhaps people like you, will still blame the federal law, vacuously ignoring how some states comply with the law just fine, thanks.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Health exchanges are run by STATES, that are conscientious enough to run them.

There are loads of idiotic STATE implementations of laws for which there are superior implementations at the federal level. I guess it depends on just how intent state officials, enabled by their constituents, are to corrupt their own state in the interest of making petty partisan points regarding health care.

Regardless, my state's implementation of ACA is excellent. We have over six years of experience with it. The passage of ACA requires comparatively little change, here. And we're going to have no significant problems that we wouldn't have had without ACA. If we can do it, then your state should be able to, if you're willing to do so.

I predict almost all the failures associated with ACA will be attributable to egoistic state legislators and officials deliberately "screwing things up" for their own people. And people, perhaps people like you, will still blame the federal law, vacuously ignoring how some states comply with the law just fine, thanks.
The more that conservative states purposely screw up implementation of the ACA the closer we move to federal universal healthcare.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:37 PM
bUU

Perhaps, or perhaps not. Surely, ACA itself may have been the only means of making it clear to bone-headed Republican sycophants that universal healthcare is the way to go. With ACA, the human cost of the previous status quo was hidden from view. It's now going to be quite visible, and therefore undeniable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies