Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 10:18 AM

769 posts, read 1,007,331 times

Advertisements

Over the past few days when I've been reading over thread after seemingly endless thread about Benghazi, the IRS, and Obama's "impeachment", etc., one of the things that's consistently popped into my mind has been the right-wing strategy.

For months and months the R's were all about the debt, and the spending, and cutting (even though, looking at Europe, austerity evidently does not work). However, now that the economy is recovering (IMF predicting 3-4% growth from next year on), the deficit is shrinking, etc., it seems that they've now turned their attention and are going bananas over "one of the greatest scandals in American history ever" and Obama's "inevitable" (or so some would seem to think) impeachment. Personally, I do not think that anything will become of this and to me it seems like now they have to avert their attention to a new issue and cause a commotion because they're clearly losing the argument on their other talking points. So do you think that this is just the latest right-wing strategy and that they'll just continue to try and squeeze every drop of blood out of this because they've got nothing else? Is it because they're trying to damage Clinton for a possible 2016 run?

The secondary aspect of this that all of the current "scandals" have made me think about is why the right-wing cannot (or will not) foresee that their current strategy (as perceived by me, and I'm going to say many others as well) is ultimately doomed to fail? Plain and simple, demographics are dead against the right-wing. No ands, ifs, or buts about it. Period. For whatever reason, at this point in time, the overwhelming majority of minority voters simply do not vote for the Republicans. Given this fact, I can't for the life of me figure out why they don't try to amend this ASAP. Every single year, the US is becoming more diverse and "less white". Thus every single year, the demographics are slowly chipping away at the R's chance of victory. They're losing a little bit of ground every, single year. However, in spite of this, it seems that 2012 taught them nothing and they are still hellbent on pursuing their current, radical strategy/agenda. They need to focus on widening their appeal and opening up their tent and attracting new potential voters. In my opinion, THIS should be the right-wing strategy. Not obstructionism and continuing with their current, radical agenda. Stop isolating people, and then you can start winning elections again.

Also, even if all of the hard-core conservatives had all their dreams come true, and Obama got impeached (how do you feel about President Biden?) and Hillary's reputation was trashed, do you honestly think that that would spell the end of the D's in office for years to come? Consider what I said above and be realistic. The R's isolate huge portions of Americans from them. Portions that are growing in size and influence all the time. Even if things totally unraveled for the Obama administration (HIGHLY unlikely), do you think that these people would suddenly all turn and vote R from now on? If so, then I think you're dreaming. The way I see it, no matter what happens, pretty soon (unless they change, which is always possible), then sheer numbers are going to doom the R's. All the D's have to do is sit back, and watch the show.

The country is changing and becoming more socially liberal. Most people accept and want same-sex marriage to be legal, most people don't want a war on drugs, and most people don't want to hear crazy people preaching religion to us from a political office. Get over the social issues, put the radicals off to the side, and start appealing to a broader and more moderate base, and then you will start winning elections again. I find this very easy and obvious to comprehend. But, hey, maybe it's just me.

What is your opinion on current and future right-wing strategies? Do you agree? Do you think otherwise? Let's hear what everyone has to say.

P.S. The only reason the R's got the House in 2012 was because of gerrymandering. More people actually voted for D's than R's.

*runs to go get popcorn*

Facts and Figures:

The US is currently 63.7% non-Hispanic White, a number that is forecasted to drop to about 46% by 2050. The Census Bureau predicts that the US will become majority-minority by 2043.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/natio...-births/52447/

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/...164735561.html

Last edited by CityLover9; 05-16-2013 at 10:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 10:29 AM

1,978 posts, read 1,553,365 times
According to "Whacopedia" the usa is 72.4 percent white, so, your foolish theory is just a foolish theory.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:33 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Oh it has been funny to watch, when the one thing falls apart for the Cons, they are quick to make some up to be the "new scandal" to keep their audience glued to them and keeping their ratings up to make more money.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:35 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 29 days ago)

27,651 posts, read 16,138,284 times
Scandle after scandle and you see it as rep. strategy? I see it as bad news for the admin. The free pass once agian givin to the party of NO Shame.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:41 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,331,859 times
You silly libs should stop worrying about "right wing strategy" and start worrying about Obama's abuse of power. You can't or don't even see what a disaster he's created, do you folks? Chris Matthews is typical of this silliness, blaming all of Obama's problems on white supremacy, for crying out loud.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Scandle after scandle and you see it as rep. strategy? I see it as bad news for the admin. The free pass once agian givin to the party of NO Shame.
What's a "scandle?"

Old 05-16-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
You silly libs should stop worrying about "right wing strategy" and start worrying about Obama's abuse of power. You can't or don't even see what a disaster he's created, do you folks? Chris Matthews is typical of this silliness, blaming all of Obama's problems on white supremacy, for crying out loud.
Why would anyone watch Chris Matthews or care what his opinion is?

Old 05-16-2013, 10:55 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
This column lays it out:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/16/op...ml?ref=opinion

I won't quote anything because the mods shorten it anyway.

But the right-wing has been trying to nail Obama since before he was sworn in. Now they think they've got something, so they latch on like German Shepards. Unfortunately, what they have doesn't have anything to do with Obama and the AP issue isn't even a scandal.

Benghazi isn't a scandal either. A tragic event occurred and it wasn't anyone's fault. There was no coverup either because to have a coverup something substantive needs to be uncovered, which there isn't.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:03 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,175,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post

That is funny since Chrissy Matthews lives in a all-white suburb of Maryland and takes a car service past the "brown people" he seems to covet these days.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:06 AM

59,088 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Oh it has been funny to watch, when the one thing falls apart for the Cons, they are quick to make some up to be the "new scandal" to keep their audience glued to them and keeping their ratings up to make more money.
"quick to make some up to be the "new scandal" Right!

"When you keep your cool when everybody else loses theirs, maybe you haven't grasped the situation"

Who in the republican party told the IRS official to announce the their fiasco?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies