Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2013, 09:26 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,328,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Grow up.

Maybe (if I'm interpreting your weird and poorly worded question correctly) it's because you don't live with, work with, KNOW people who you are giving every freaking excuse under the sun to. Let alone anyone who lives in Appalachia.

[Why are'nt you questioning the poor whites in the rural south or Applachia regarding the meth labs and the wife beatings and incest? How about you get in your own trenches and mind everyone else's alone?
I don't live in Appalachia or deal with folks who do. Do you? I can't speak of what I don't see or know first hand. Got yourself some self righteous agenda based on the color of your skin or those white folks in the mountains? I don't.[/quote]

i never mentioned anything about an excuse, but questioned your motives. You talk as if bad behavior only occurs in the black and hispanic communities and totally ignoring the white community.

So I guess that you live in the inner city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
I agree with the greater point that there ARE usually at least a handful of white people (usually older residents who have lived there for many years) living in what are considered "black, inner city slums."
This was really all I was trying to prove.

20,702 posts, read 12,544,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
i wholeheartedly agree with this statement. I'm black, i grew up loving books. I was sometimes made fun of for this. And it wasn't only black kids who did this. There were some white kids who did this too. I figured "forget them".

Some important questions need to be asked. Among the questions are these. Where did "acting white" come from? Why was "acting white" used to disparage black children who were into their studies?

it needs to be asked because one cannot find solutions without asking questions.

Old 05-18-2013, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
One thing I should mention is this. I ask such questions because I want people to really think about some things really hard. One really to ask questions.

1) Why do many Black students who are into books get teased and disparaged with the derogatory term "acting White"?

2) Where did the term "Acting White" come from and when did this start and why?

These were two questions I wanted people on this forum to think about and discuss.

Old 05-18-2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Grow up.

Maybe (if I'm interpreting your weird and poorly worded question correctly) it's because you don't live with, work with, KNOW people who you are giving every freaking excuse under the sun to. Let alone anyone who lives in Appalachia.

[Why are'nt you questioning the poor whites in the rural south or Applachia regarding the meth labs and the wife beatings and incest? How about you get in your own trenches and mind everyone else's alone?
I don't live in Appalachia or deal with folks who do. Do you? I can't speak of what I don't see or know first hand. Got yourself some self righteous agenda based on the color of your skin or those white folks in the mountains? I don't.[/quote]

Consider this. I'm Black, but I don't live in the inner city, or deal with people from the inner city. I might have a college-educated perspective on the situation, but I was never brought up in that environment. I was raised a suburban kid, so I have very little interaction with such an environment. I know what people have told me about the inner city, and other things I've learned in school. But I haven't actually lived in that environment. Believe it or not, there are many Blacks who aren't raised in the inner city.

Old 05-18-2013, 09:37 PM

207 posts, read 432,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
You probably have some stories to tell about growing up White in PG especially if you went to public school. Also I think Amistead is still overwhelmingly White, last article I read about it said it was about 1% Black but increasingly Hispanic.
I am a product of PG public schools, indeed. It was never dull, that's for sure.

Old 05-18-2013, 09:41 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,264,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
what was this a response to? don't remember saying anything about slavery. I know the hardships in low income communities are real, some self imposed, some institutionalize. you're darn tootin the Mexicans will work, for lower wages even. that's why so many immigrant families get food stamps and public health care. but I guess they're doing better than us lazy immoral n***as.
Please, slavery is the "go to" excuse all day long. Doesn't have to be "spoken".

If it's not the underlying excuse, what is? White supremacy? Maybe you said that, maybe some other poster did.

Blacks (why start with the "N" word? Because YOU can?) aren't the ones I see cashing checks all day long at my business that is in a black community.

Get over it and start to "GET IT".

The excuses for lazy BS and the whining about how underprivileged the black community is OVER - especially when you've got a new crew taking up the slack and not complaining. There is no NAAM (or L)P. How many decades is it going to take to get the smallest population to get over themselves and do something?

Like I said, the "woe is them" beyotcher's counterpart is sitting in the White House.

What else has to happen for the black community to get the hell over WHATEVER it is they need to get over as a whole?

Such a small percentage of the population (only pointed out when it suits someone's rebuttal), but such big ISSUES that take over every single aspect of life for everyone at one point or another (employers/schools from pre-K to post grad/ communities/government/tax payers/you name it). It's ridiculous.

No more excuses, and especially NOT when this is 2013 and the Jews have managed to make a come back. After not being sold by their own, for a profit, in a time where slavery WAS accepted. But for being medically experimented on, starved, tossed in a gas chamber (or worse) with the end point being the complete extermination of Jews.

Why aren't they as whiney and lost and full of excuses and blame for someone else?

Old 05-18-2013, 09:44 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,328,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I don't live in Appalachia or deal with folks who do. Do you? I can't speak of what I don't see or know first hand. Got yourself some self righteous agenda based on the color of your skin or those white folks in the mountains? I don't.
Consider this. I'm Black, but I don't live in the inner city, or deal with people from the inner city. I might have a college-educated perspective on the situation, but I was never brought up in that environment. I was raised a suburban kid, so I have very little interaction with such an environment. I know what people have told me about the inner city, and other things I've learned in school. But I haven't actually lived in that environment. Believe it or not, there are many Blacks who aren't raised in the inner city.[/quote]

Well, GM I did live in the inner city hood, I also lived in the lily white suburbs, as well as a military base, and a college campus and I own a home. Not all people who live in depressed areas are all bad nor are they all good either, but I refuse to have some jackazz make a broad statement about something that he knows very little about based on his own ignorance about poverty of one group and totally discounting the flaws in his own ethnicity

Old 05-18-2013, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Well, GM I did live in the inner city hood, I also lived in the lily white suburbs, as well as a military base, and a college campus and I own a home. Not all people who live in depressed areas are all bad nor are they all good either, but I refuse to have some jackazz make a broad statement about something that he knows very little about based on his own ignorance about poverty of one group and totally discounting the flaws in his own ethnicity
That is part of what I'm trying to say as well. There are so many people complaining about Blacks, as if Blacks are the only people with "bad people" in it. I lived in a predominantly area, and I'm back where I lived during middle school and high school because of economic reasons(recent college graduate and I'm still looking for work). I can tell you some stories about some of the bad stuff I've seen from some White people. Having lived in racial diverse areas as well as mostly White areas, I have a different view on things. I've seen the best and worst from different ethnic groups.

Old 05-18-2013, 09:55 PM

154 posts, read 245,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Have you ever been in a ghetto yourself? I don't think so!

Good for your friend! I've never worked in fast food; I have worked as an RN in a hospital and observed what the CNAs do. It's a toss-up, I think. My daughter worked in day care and I always told her at least she didn't have to work weekends.
Quote:
Have you ever been in a ghetto yourself? I don't think so!
I have seen up close in person the most dangerous housing projects in Orlando, Florida. My White butt racially stood out like a sore thumb there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies