Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 05:42 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times

Advertisements

The Koch brothers are liberals?
Who knew?

Old 07-09-2013, 05:59 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,954,445 times
Why are richer whites more liberal and richer minorities more conservative?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I've noticed that at least in Maryland, the Democrats have consists of 3 major groups - the liberal yuppie elite (the Starbucks, Prius, Whole Foods, coffeeshop hipster crowd), ghetto people, and illegal immigrants.
In order to debate this, one needs more than "I've noticed this," in order to determine if what you noticed is actual factually correct. I have no idea if rich whites are more liberal or rich minorities are more conservative. Without actual research, it's no more than conjecture.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:56 PM

12,041 posts, read 6,574,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
The Koch brothers are liberals?
Who knew?
George Soros a conservative?
Who knew?
(Way wealthier and more influential than the Koch clan)

Old 07-09-2013, 08:19 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,744,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Who knew?
and a Nazi, Cant wait for this man to burn in hell.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:29 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,835,116 times
It's like these ultra liberal celebrities....they have $50m for being in a few dumb movies, so a few extra tax bills aren't going to affect them. And they get to feel better about themselves by preaching equality for all. That call may b slightly different if they were taking the 5:50am New Jersey transit an hour and a half into the city and getting home at 9pm.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:37 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,744,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
It's like these ultra liberal celebrities....they have $50m for being in a few dumb movies, so a few extra tax bills aren't going to affect them. And they get to feel better about themselves by preaching equality for all. That call may b slightly different if they were taking the 5:50am New Jersey transit an hour and a half into the city and getting home at 9pm.
limousine liberals, do as I say, not as I do.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:40 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,735,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizjo View Post
Most poverty stricken southerners are black. That's why they vote dem, low education and low self-esteem? Seems reasonable to me.
I think the South is made up of some really dumb, non-rich white people who side with right wingers in policies that work perfectly against their (the Southerners') own self interests. Here are some interesting excerpts written by a Southerner who thinks as I do, that there are one heck of a lot of dumb people in the South:

The former Confederate states set the gold standard in American economic deprivation.

We also lead the nation in those without health care coverage of any kind. Here, Texas paves the way – with an astonishing 24.2 percent. But Louisiana (20.3), Florida (20.2), South Carolina (19.7), Georgia (19.3) and Mississippi (18.6) give the Longhorns a spirited run for their money.

And, in the South, we move a step beyond marginalization – often pointedly, boastingly, refusing to embrace policies congenial to those facing economic hardship. Many Southern governors carped about federal stimulus efforts, occasionally even turning back dollars, as their states reeled from unemployment.

Opposition to the Affordable Care Act was most potent, and uniform, in the South – though our citizens benefit from it disproportionately. We now threaten to reject expansions of Medicaid that would dramatically (and inexpensively) offset our gaping holes in health care coverage.

A survey, last year, of the Congress’ Tea Party caucus – those most vehemently opposed to a bolstered safety net – reported that the largest state contingents are from Texas, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and Tennessee. New England claims no members.

Read more here: The South is tops in poverty | Other Views | NewsObserver.com

Old 07-09-2013, 08:45 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Who knew?
What a stupid response.
If you read the OP, it stated that rich white people were liberal.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:02 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,020,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Really. What do you observe then?
What's going on in lala land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
According to the data, the states that were the mostly to have wealthy Whites vote for President Obama were Oregon, Wisconsin, Illinois, New York, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine.
Maine doesn't have "wealthy" people. They're just vacationers.

Old 07-10-2013, 05:57 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,301,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Why are richer whites more liberal and richer minorities more conservative?

In order to debate this, one needs more than "I've noticed this," in order to determine if what you noticed is actual factually correct. I have no idea if rich whites are more liberal or rich minorities are more conservative. Without actual research, it's no more than conjecture.
No break it down by race but in 2008, Obama did get 52 percent of the vote from those that came from a household income of 200K or more. Can not find any data for that income group from 2012.

Local Exit Polls - Election Center 2008 - Elections & Politics from CNN.com

I would believe it varies from area to area. Here in Philly some of it's wealthiest suburbs (Montgomery County) saw 64 percent of it's voters go for Obama in 2012.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies