Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 06:06 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,947,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
I think the South is made up of some really dumb, non-rich white people who side with right wingers in policies that work perfectly against their (the Southerners') own self interests.
What this points to is an explanation of the GOP focus on demonizing the "47%" that don't pay taxes. Never-mind that much of that 47% are located in GOP Southern strongholds. The message to alienated whites is that the 47% are those "other people," who mooch off of your hard work and taxes; get welfare; Food Stamps, etc.

This is the plutocrat's objective -- the underclass class pitted against the underclass. Divide middle-class private sector workers against middle-class public sector workers; demonize the poor who get government benefits against those whose incomes have been stagnant for 20 years.

While the underclasses are fighting each other, voting for the GOP, who is less likely to protect their jobs, less likely to protect their safety, less likely to protect their health and less likely to protect their income, the plutocrats make off with the spoils of society, in their luxury private jets.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:23 AM

Doesn't look like the OP's assertion is even true:

According to the link, as income rose more voted for Romney.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:30 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,173,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
In my state (MA) rich whites become liberal because they live above the consequences of their viewpoints. It's easy to despise Walmart when you are rich. It's easy to mandate school desegregation (socioeconomically as well as racially) when your kids go to a lily white private school.

... and they are mostly liberal with OTHER PEOPLE'S MONEY. They got theirs and will talk a good game, but will not give any of it away. Instead they start "foundations" for the PR that benefits their social status more than any group it is targeted for.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:43 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,741,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
What this points to is an explanation of the GOP focus on demonizing the "47%" that don't pay taxes. Never-mind that much of that 47% are located in GOP Southern strongholds. The message to alienated whites is that the 47% are those "other people," who mooch off of your hard work and taxes; get welfare; Food Stamps, etc.

This is the plutocrat's objective -- the underclass class pitted against the underclass. Divide middle-class private sector workers against middle-class public sector workers; demonize the poor who get government benefits against those whose incomes have been stagnant for 20 years.

While the underclasses are fighting each other, voting for the GOP, who is less likely to protect their jobs, less likely to protect their safety, less likely to protect their health and less likely to protect their income, the plutocrats make off with the spoils of society, in their luxury private jets.
and let me guess, they Democrats are the white knights? if that is the case why do the want to import non skilled, low wage workers? raise taxes on energy, cripple innovation in education, and disarm all people of America...so yeah the GOP is the only party hell dent on kill America from within.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
and let me guess, they Democrats are the white knights? if that is the case why do the want to import non skilled, low wage workers? raise taxes on energy, cripple innovation in education, and disarm all people of America...so yeah the GOP is the only party hell dent on kill America from within.
What you contend Democrats want have not been established as facts. The narrative that providing a path to citizenship is motivated by a desire to "import non skilled, low wage workers," is faulty on its face. The same goes for the others.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:58 AM

593 posts, read 470,323 times
Richer White Liberals = White guilt.

Richer Minority Conservatives = Prosperity realized.

pretty much

Old 07-11-2013, 08:33 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
For better off whites, politics is largely about demontrating their elite status by separating themselves from the hordes of middle class whites they compete against. Since they don't have the numbers to win at the ballot box by themselves, they form coalitions with poor minorities who don't live in their areas and are no competition for them in schools or in the workplace. It's the top and the bottom united against the middle.
Astute observation.

I'll also add that the bottom, in aligning themselves with the liberals at the top, doesn't realize that they are participating in their own continued oppression.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
In my state (MA) rich whites become liberal because they live above the consequences of their viewpoints. It's easy to despise Walmart when you are rich.
Another very good point.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:24 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,167,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I've noticed that at least in Maryland, the Democrats have consists of 3 major groups - the liberal yuppie elite (the Starbucks, Prius, Whole Foods, coffeeshop hipster crowd), ghetto people, and illegal immigrants. A lot of the Democrat votes come from rich urban areas and a few wealthy suburbs with a of of New York transplants. If you go into the ghetto you also see wild support for Obama, the kind of people who wear shirts saying "keep the White House black" and talking about how great is it to have a black man in the White House. But its the rich white liberals who are okay with things like rain taxes, wind farm taxes, giving in-state tuition to illegals, etc who are also pushing for abortion and gay marriage very passionately. It seems even though they might not agree with all the taxes, they are willing to pay them as a trade off to support abortion and gay marriage. Because I don't know how anyone in their right mind can actually support a gas tax increase that goes exclusively to fund mass transit in the city, or how anyone in their right mind can support a rain tax and wind farm tax, or be okay with increasing the alcohol tax, cigarette tax, and income tax. With nanny state laws like gun control, plastic bags, and soda bans you get support from the liberal elite AND the ghetto Democrats.

However most of the blue collar and middle class whites are conservative and Republican, not just on the federal but on the state and local level as well. However when it comes to blacks I've noticed when I see a black conservative its usually a middle class or upper class black person. Usually someone who has become financially successful and no longer buys into the victimhood mentality, but who also was raised right in church and has conservative social values. With Hispanics I don't know but I assume the better off Hispanics are the ones that are more assimilated, who came legally and have fewer connections to illegal aliens though I'm sure SOME still vote Democrat out of racial solidarity with illegal aliens. I personally and of Asian descent and am Republican for financial and religious reasons both.
LOL, I'm not an elite yuppie, nor ghetto nor illegal immigrant. But I am definitely a liberal. I guess I just must not exist according to you.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
LOL, I'm not an elite yuppie, nor ghetto nor illegal immigrant. But I am definitely a liberal.
Are you a member of the colossally deluded public employee union sector?
Quote:
With the threat of a city bankruptcy looming, Detroit city workers and retirees are pushing back against the state-appointed emergency manager, filing lawsuits to limit his options and refusing to accept demands to keep details of their discussions secret.

One lawsuit, filed in Ingham County Circuit Court in the state capital Lansing, seeks to stop Governor Rick Snyder from allowing the emergency manager, Kevyn Orr, to file Chapter 9 municipal bankruptcy. That lawsuit claims Orr's plan to significantly cut vested pensions would violate strong protections in the Michigan constitution for retirement benefits of public-sector workers.
Detroit city workers, retirees push back on pensions | Reuters

Hint to union members/retirees: There is no money. You're not going to get the pensions and benefits you think you've been promised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies