Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2013, 03:04 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,790,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonarchist View Post
Lotsa boys will feel that they have to be gay to be "accepted".
What on earth would possess you to think that nonsense?

Old 05-25-2013, 03:04 PM

5,664 posts, read 5,096,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
the boyscouts had to give in. the boyscouts would be obliterated if they didn't allow gays.
And by doing so have committed organizational suicide. It's unfortunate either way. Into the dustbin of history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Well, obviously the majority of leaders in the BSA did want gay scouts in because they voted (61%) to let them in. Remember, it was leaders within the BSA organization itself that changed the policy, not the Human Rights Campaign, the NRA, the Make A Wish Foundation, the B'nai B'rith, or the Sierra Club.
It's not "want". It's called "caving in to political pressure". I'm sure we'll never know the real reasons or pressure that was exerted. Had it been something that the majority felt comfortable with or been on board with all along, this would have happened long ago and would never have been an issue.

I still hold that a separate Gay Scouts organization, would be the solution by which everyone would be happy. It would be interesting to see what type of institutional support such would receive at the community level. Florist shops? Leather bars? Interior design studios? Surely not churches or traditional supporters of Scout troops.

Why do gays want to be in Scouting anyhow? Seriously, what is offered in the typical Scouting activities that would be of any interest to them? (And note I'm skipping the opportunity for the obvious remarks here that would get a mod's rebuke. This is a query of genuine interest.)

Old 05-25-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I think it is best if the organiztion splits into two separate units: gay scouts, and straight scouts. If they do not, they will see a massive exodus, because faith based groups sponsor 70 percent of Boy Scout troops in the country.
Good riddance to the religious fundies then. Maybe they can start their own little country.

Old 05-25-2013, 03:06 PM

5,664 posts, read 5,096,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Good riddance to the religious fundies then. Maybe they can start their own little country.
Be careful. The same can be said of the gay apologists.

Old 05-25-2013, 03:06 PM

3,846 posts, read 2,388,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
What on earth would possess you to think that nonsense?
It will be cool to be gay.

Since "rap", lotsa whites began acting black.

Old 05-25-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonarchist View Post
It will be cool to be gay.

Since "rap", lotsa whites began acting black.
Well seeing as one can't choose to be gay, they will never become gay if it were to ever be cool. And I seriously doubt people will view gays as being cool. Being straight is much easier.

Old 05-25-2013, 03:09 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,581,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
I still hold that a separate Gay Scouts organization, would be the solution by which everyone would be happy. It would be interesting to see what type of institutional support such would receive at the community level. Florist shops? Leather bars? Interior design studios? Surely not churches or traditional supporters of Scout troops.

Why do gays want to be in Scouting anyhow? Seriously, what is offered in the typical Scouting activities that would be of any interest to them? (And note I'm skipping the opportunity for the obvious remarks here that would get a mod's rebuke. This is a query of genuine interest.)
Your silly stereotypes aside, most boys cross over from cub scouts to boy scouts at the end of 5th grade. How many of those boys are aware of their sexual orientation? Are you suggesting that once they start to become aware of their orientation they be asked to leave the BSA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
It's a halfway measure. The next step, allowing gay leaders, is inevitable and 100% correct. It's only a matter of time.

Old 05-25-2013, 03:11 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,566,491 times
Boy Scouts already had plenty of gays in their ranks. Are they so dumb that they didn't know it?

Honestly, I think that organization is on it's last legs anyway.

Old 05-25-2013, 03:18 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,341,503 times
Quote:

Why do gays want to be in Scouting anyhow? Seriously, what is offered
in the typical Scouting activities that would be of any interest to them?
WTF? Same thing that's offered to the straight scouts. You think that if they're gay, the only things that interest them are flower arranging and choosing the correct wine to serve with fish?

Old 05-25-2013, 03:28 PM

40,956 posts, read 49,260,682 times
When our 15 year old Gay son came out to us, we would no longer allow his male friends to spend the night like they did as kids.
This presents a problem when an older boy is sexually attracted to another boy.

My other (oldest) son is an Eagle scout. I would not want him sharing a tent with a gay youth where there could be sexual attraction.

I would not want my sons sleeping in a tent with either a Girl Scout or Gay Boy Scout where sex could be an issue.

Scouting is a Private Christian Organization. Let them set their own boundaries and rules.

First time there is gay sex on a camp out.... you know who will be sued ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.