Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 03:52 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,336,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanatos331 View Post
Census bro.
There are hard stats, then there is actual experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 04:16 AM

92 posts, read 56,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
It's true. It's been a decade since I've been to Dallas. Never cared much for Dallas either.
It's a mess. Don't bother.

Quote:
I think a lot of this has to do with cities outgrowing their infrastructure as people flood in. I don't think it's a liberal/conservative thing, nor do I think it has to do with the racial makeup or national origin of the people themselves. But it does depend o the city. Some cities can have positive growth, but it seems that more often they sort of begin to crumble under their own weight.
Well I don't know what happened to Dallas per se, but the demographics is definetly one of the main things that's changed about it. I spent a few weeks in Dallas this past fall and rarely saw white people anywhere I went, and usually when I did it was trashy white women that looked strung out on dope with mixed kids not far behind. It was the first time in my life that I realized walking around that I was a minority.

It definetly felt like I was in a foreign country.

I looked at the census data for dallas shortly after I returned to see wtf was going on, and found out that most all of the whites have left dallas and the few that are still there all reside in small wealthy enclaves on the north side of dallas. Likely doctors and such living there only for the high paying job they have.

In any case, Dallas is not some place I would want to live after visiting there.

Many buildings were boarded up and dumpy looking. Vast parking lots with weeds and grass growing in them. Tall signs that weren't readable and torn up. Trash on the side of the roads. Tons and tons of poor people pushing carts along walk ways. It was a sad sight to say the least.

Quote:
Austin is certainly the most liberal city in Texas. No question. Politically speaking, at least. It's my birthplace and I dig Austin, but it has become really expensive and the traffic is crazy. It's grown so much so quickly. I always liked San Antonio, but again, it's been several years since I've been there.
My impression of Austin has always been that it was one of the less liberal cities in Texas. *shrug*

Old 05-31-2013, 04:28 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,336,773 times
Quote:
Many buildings were boarded up and dumpy looking. Vast parking lots with weeds and grass growing in them. Tall signs that weren't readable and torn up. Trash on the side of the roads. Tons and tons of poor people pushing carts along walk ways. It was a sad sight to say the least.
Sounds like OKC, except that Dallas actualy once had good things going for it.

Old 05-31-2013, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Sounds like OKC, except that Dallas actualy once had good things going for it.
Oh man. I was on my way home and got lost in a neighborhood area that was rough. And I mean rough. I thought the black ghettos in my home town were bad. But they aren't nothing compared to that neighborhood I accdiently drove through on the way back.

Needless to say, when I realized where I was, I locked my doors while driving.

Never again. LOL

Though one thing I found odd was that all of the convenient store clerks were Asian Indians for some reason...I don't know if it was just a coincidence or what, but it was odd for sure.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:21 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Oh man. I was on my way home and got lost in a neighborhood area that was rough. And I mean rough. I thought the black ghettos in my home town were bad. But they aren't nothing compared to that neighborhood I accdiently drove through on the way back.

Needless to say, when I realized where I was, I locked my doors while driving.

Never again. LOL

Though one thing I found odd was that all of the convenient store clerks were Asian Indians for some reason...I don't know if it was just a coincidence or what, but it was odd for sure.
The last line is not exclusive to Dallas, Houston, or OKC. Trust me.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
The last line is not exclusive to Dallas, Houston, or OKC. Trust me.
Hah. Why convenient stores though? It must be easy to start a convenient store from scratch. Maybe I should get into that business...

Old 05-31-2013, 06:11 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Something about geography. You tend to find tumbleweeds in WESTERN Texas, not the Gulf. And if math was lacking in Texas, you wouldn't have the Space Program in Houston. You wouldn't have Texas Instruments, as well as Dell Computers in Texas.
I am old enough to remember when the first consumer calculators came along, and TI was indeed the pioneer in this. All invented, designed, and manufactured in Texas, USA. Before that everybody had slide rules. It has been interesting to watch the rapidity of change in those 40 years.

TI also offered a microcomputer in the early 80's to compete w/ the Apple II and TRS-80 (radio shack). I tried one, but unfortunately it was very slow compared to the competition, so it didn't sell very well.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:08 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
How 'bout some love for ZZ Top, Kathy?
MY BAD.

Hey, I saw them in concert a few weeks ago - with Lynard Skynard.

It was bad ass.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Austin would probably be more to your liking.
Shhhhh...don't give this poster any ideas...

Old 05-31-2013, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELR123 View Post
Also, I've never been to Houston, but my uncle lived there for several years and said it was the worst place he's ever lived.

Keep in mind that this man lived in rural Arkansas for much of his life.
LOL well there you have it.

He probably woke up each morning believing he was waking up in Sodom or Gomorrah!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies