Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2013, 08:35 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Let me ask this.

BOTH heterosexuals and homosexuals have anal and oral sex. So why should ONLY homosexuals be denied marriage, and all of the legal benefits and protections that come with a legal civil marriage, when we do the same things that heteros do?

Either neither heteros NOR homosexuals can get married based on their sexual acts, OR both can because we all do the same things.
Yeah, that's exactly what I tried asking that other poster... but all he could do was change the topic (and eventually ignore me) when I asked it point blank. In other words, he had no answer.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:15 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I don't care why or how, I'm merely explaining the nature of sexual attraction - which I'm shocked you & a few others (supposedly) do not understand. Honestly, I think you're just "playing dumb" with an agenda here. Unless you are legitimately asexual, there's no way you wouldn't understand the difference between voluntary thoughts and attractions.

What I find attractive in a woman are the things I most like about myself.

Aside from physical attributes that play an ever diminishing role in my preferences, I'm primarily attracted to women who have excellent taste in music, a sense of humor and devotion to family.

If I didn't care about these qualities in myself, I wouldn't care about them in a potential love interest.

In short, the character traits I most like in myself are the same character traits that make a women attractive to me.

Of course these same qualities have evolved over decades and are still changing as I continue to develop as a person.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
I never think of gay men or women. I have a lesbian neighbour and I do not fantasize of what she and her partner may be doing, it really does not bother me one iota.

I still maintain that folk that are hung up on teh ghey either have real boring unfulfilled sex lives or are latently in the closet. I would go as far as to say they would classify as sexual perverts in my book.

These same people in these discussions go onto the false analogies of bestiality and paedophilia.

An it is the same bigots that start these threads over and over.

When the LGBT finally get their civil rights, nothing is gonna change in your life, the sky will not fall, gays are not gonna teach their "lifestyle" as you twits so erroneously put it.

Here in SA, at school in life sciences, where they learn of the birds and the bees and safe sex, STDs, AIDS, etc. all that is mentioned is that some people are attracted to the same sex and for them it is natural. There is no curriculum of dealing with confusion of sexual identity. Kids can discuss this privately with the teacher and no, we do not have fundies teaching here, their religious views are banned from the classroom.

There were only a few gays in my daughter's school and they were NOT ousted or ridiculed, that law of hate speech extends to the schools too.

In a nutshell, it is a non issue.

What all you bigots forget is that these kids are born to hetero marriages and many of them are religious too. It is not rebellion and even though we do have equality for all, homophobia is still there, just not on the scale like it appears to be in the US. SO kids are NOT gonna choose a "lifestyle" or orientation that places them in the crosshairs of ridicule down the line somewhere.

Most of these gay folk excel academically and go onto successful careers.

South Africa?

How about you get your own house in order.

HIV and AIDS in South Africa

Old 06-01-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
I have to call into question the heterosexuality of someone who is constantly thinking about what gay people do

I think you're stuck for an intelligent response so you've resorted to calling me a ***.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Loving someone of your own sex.

And, no, it isn't voluntary. You're born that way. You no more choose to be a homosexual than you choose to be black.

I'll be sure to let the APA know that since they cannot determine what causes homosexuality.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:48 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post

Aside from physical attributes that play an ever diminishing role in my preferences, I'm primarily attracted to women who have excellent taste in music, a sense of humor and devotion to family.

If I didn't care about these qualities in myself, I wouldn't care about them in a potential love interest.

In short, the character traits I most like in myself are the same character traits that make a women attractive to me.

Of course these same qualities have evolved over decades and are still changing as I continue to develop as a person.
Looks like you look for many of the same qualities that someone who is homosexual also looks for in a partner.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:50 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,772,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Oh dear. I said "figures" and you equate that to antisemitism? You've got to be freaking kidding me.

Seriously? Is your skin that thin? FTR, it has to do with the religion and atheism, which many Jews are. Settle down, chief, I'm not an anti-Semite
Being Jewish encompasses a lot more than just a religion. The Holocaust also played a part in atheist beliefs among Jews.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:52 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:

While inner qualities can sometimes influence your physical attraction over time, that is not the same as what we're discussing... you asked about in/voluntary thoughts and sexual attraction, and I'm pretty sure "good taste in music" doesn't cause an immediate reaction. If it did, and you truly didn't care about external factors, couldn't you as easily be turned on by a man with good taste in music, a sense of humor, and devotion to family?

Are you too old to remember (and/or still get) that special feeling? Not trying to be rude, just going off what you said about "physical attributes that play an ever diminishing role in my preferences."

Old 06-01-2013, 09:54 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,772,641 times
Quote:
I'll be sure to let the APA know that since they cannot determine what causes homosexuality.
Many studies have shown the biological (genetic/hormonal) link to homosexuality. Just because you willfully reject any evidence that challenges your prejudices doesn't mean it isn't there.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:20 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Many studies have shown the biological (genetic/hormonal) link to homosexuality. Just because you willfully reject any evidence that challenges your prejudices doesn't mean it isn't there.
Those studies were biased.

Where is the gay gene?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.