Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 09:38 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,339,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
The pipeline is basically infrastructure, and just like building bridges and roads, those construction jobs are temporary. The difference between the pipeline jobs and Obama's "shovel ready jobs" rhetoric, is that the pipeline jobs do not require our government a dime of taxpayer money, in fact the pipeline construction will create tax revenue.

Why is it when government uses taxpayer money to pay for infrastructure the dems applaud like clapping seals, but when private industry wants to do the same thing they oppose it?
Correct.

Guess all construction jobs are temporary and pipelines & refineries don't pay taxes.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:38 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,160 times
Yes it will create thousands of temporary jobs and very few permanent jobs, but that has been known for years, only in the fever swamps of conservative fantasyland is this surprising or new information.

It continues to be under appreciated just how radical the conservative party has become in its rejection of objective reality.

It is truly amazing the level of make believe that exists in much of conservative policy discussions.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
How DARE he cut in on Big Oil profits!!!
How many public pensions around the country are invested in "Big Oil"?

Not to mention working people's 401K plans?

Old 02-04-2014, 09:44 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,294,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
No it isn't good enough, environazi.

I am staying on topic. Obviously your argument is weak so you want to expand it to all types of fossil fuels to strengthen your point. Want to whine about W.VA. Start a thread.
No, I don't even need to leave oil if we wish to discuss environmental impacts... I take issue with a stupid, loaded term like "environazi" and thought I'd point out exactly what these "environazis" are trying to avoid... The fact that you insist on the label while trying to throw out a legit example why "environazis" are concerned suggests its you that lacks a position of defense.

Makes me pretty sure that you are one who likes to dabble in a bit of hyperbole. As though throwing the word "nazi" on the end of something legitimately demonizes anyone who might disagree with your point? You know who "nazis" are I assume? I'll give you that much credit at least.

That said, I personally agree that the pipeline is a safer way to transport if we, indeed, need to transport it down the middle of our country in the first place.... The tar sands themselves are an environmental nightmare, but far be it for me to criticize Canada for doing what they want to do on their own land...

Old 02-04-2014, 09:47 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times
In addition to not creating jobs, the Keystone pipeline will have a paradoxical effect on the price of oil- an increase!

Quote:
Gas prices might go up, not down: Right now, a lot of oil being produced in Canada and North Dakota has trouble reaching the refineries and terminals on the Gulf. Since that supply can’t be sold abroad, it reduces the competition for it to Midwest refineries that can pay lower prices to get it.
Quote:
Completion of the entire [Keystone] pipeline would raise prices at the pump in the Midwest and Rocky Mountains 10 to 20 cents a gallon, Verleger, the Colorado consultant, said in an e-mail message.The higher crude prices also would erase the discount enjoyed by cities including Chicago, Cheyenne and Denver, Verleger said.
Why The Keystone Pipeline Will Actually RAISE Gas Prices In the U.S. Washington's Blog

Those of you who think the Keystone pipeline will somehow increase the quality of your life, are in for a big disappointment.

Quote:
If there was any doubt that Keystone XL will essentially operate as a bypass through America, TransCanada’s president Alex Pourbaix put it to rest last month in his testimony before Congress. As the report’s authors explain:

TransCanada recently refused to support a requirement that oil from Keystone XL be dedicated for use in the United States in a recent Congressional hearing.26 In December 2011, Representative Edward Markey asked TransCanada’s President, Alex Pourbaix, to support a condition that would require the oil on Keystone XL to be used in the United States. Mr. Pourbaix refused, saying that such a requirement would cause refineries to back out of their contracts.

So by diverting the oil that would have otherwise poured out into Midwestern refineries, the pipeline would actually reduce American oil supply, thereby increasing prices.
Keystone XL Pipeline Would Increase Oil Prices in Midwest | DeSmogBlog

Old 02-04-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
"We Love Crony Capitalism," the new left-wing mantra during the Obama era
I'd prefer, "We learned from the best", but that works too I guess...

Old 02-04-2014, 09:49 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,820,687 times
All those redevelopment projects during the Great Depression were useless because those didn't create any permanent jobs either.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
How many public pensions around the country are invested in "Big Oil"?

Not to mention working people's 401K plans?
I never suggested that the American people were stupid.... They know what side of the bread is buttered...

Now point me to the people with these 401Ks that make anywhere CLOSE to the profit margin that Exxon is raking in...

Old 02-04-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Yes it will create thousands of temporary jobs and very few permanent jobs, but that has been known for years, only in the fever swamps of conservative fantasyland is this surprising or new information.

It continues to be under appreciated just how radical the conservative party has become in its rejection of objective reality.

It is truly amazing the level of make believe that exists in much of conservative policy discussions.
Here's some reality for you...

Old 02-04-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
All those redevelopment projects during the Great Depression were useless because those didn't create any permanent jobs.
Wanna roll out unemployment figures from the last report here and compare them to those during the Great Depression?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies