Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 02:46 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times

Advertisements

I've been following this since the idea of a recall petition was first floated. CO is major gun supporting state. I'm of the opinion that Morse is about to be shown the door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Moonbat?

He's actually a pretty interesting guy. A Democrat elected in Colorado Springs (a conservative bastion), albeit in a district that is evenly split between Democrats, Republicans, and Independents. He's from a military family, he's an Eagle Scout. He studied economics and finance - has and MBA and PhD - and has been a CEO. He's also a former police officer and served as the Chief of Police of Fountain (a suburb of Colorado Springs).
Quote:
How am I splitting hairs? The OP claimed Senate President Morse had been recalled. That's just a flat out lie.

Supports of recalling him have submitted petition signatures for a recall election. That's the first in 3 steps to recalling a politician here in Colorado. The second and third steps are: 1) Certifying that a sufficient number of signatures were collect and 2) Conducing a recall election in which more people in his district vote to recall him rather than retain him.
Hey, guess what? In the 2010 Senate District 11 election, Morse won by a measely 252 votes. I'd like to know what kinds of drugs you're smoking if for some reason you don't think it's significant that 16,000 signatures were collected in a Senate District that only had a total of ~26,600 votes to begin with?

For some odd reason, it appears that you think that this recall effort is ill-conceived and has no merit. Unfortunately for you, the numbers tell the story, not your bizarro worldview that this Democrat is well on his way to defeating the recall. (Don't deny it. Your post clearly asserts that you harbor some sort of hope that he won't be recalled).

John Morse is out. Would you like to take a friendly bet?

State Senate District 11 - Results: Elections: The Denver Post

Old 06-04-2013, 02:55 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I've been following this since the idea of a recall petition was first floated. CO is major gun supporting state. I'm of the opinion that Morse is about to be shown the door.
He probably will be in due time considering his district. It'll be an isolated event here in Colorado though - as already pointed out, the other 4 recall attempts in Colorado centered around gun-control support have already fizzled out.

Honestly, it seems like a waste of money to me. Senator Morse is term-limited anyway, so this recall will just get him out of office a few months earlier than would have happened otherwise, but at a great expense to the taxpayers of Colorado.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
He probably will be in due time considering his district. It'll be an isolated event here in Colorado though - as already pointed out, the other 4 recall attempts in Colorado centered around gun-control support have already fizzled out.

Honestly, it seems like a waste of money to me. Senator Morse is term-limited anyway, so this recall will just get him out of office a few months earlier than would have happened otherwise, but at a great expense to the taxpayers of Colorado.
Glad you agree.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Hey, guess what? In the 2010 Senate District 11 election, Morse won by a measely 252 votes. I'd like to know what kinds of drugs you're smoking if for some reason you don't think it's significant that 16,000 signatures were collected in a Senate District that only had a total of ~22,600 votes to begin with?

For some odd reason, it appears that you think that this recall effort is ill-conceived and has no merit. Unfortunately for you, the numbers tell the story, not your bizarro worldview that this Democrat is well on his way to defeating the recall. (Don't deny it. Your post clearly asserts that you harbor some sort of hope that he won't be recalled).

John Morse is out. Would you like to take a friendly bet?

State Senate District 11 - Results: Elections: The Denver Post
When did I ever say that I don't think it's significant that 16,000 signatures were collected? (although a great many of them, like in any effort like this, will turn out to be invalid) Why are you lying about what I'm saying and thinking? (well, I know why you're lying - as a conservative Republican you can't help but lie)

All I simply said was that this thread title is a lie. That's true - the thread title, not to mention large parts of the linked article - is an out and out lie.

edit: Your addition skills need some work. 27,906 votes were cast last he was elected. I'd hardly call that ~22,600.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
When did I ever say that I don't think it's significant that 16,000 signatures were collected? (although a great many of them, like in any effort like this, will turn out to be invalid) Why are you lying about what I'm saying and thinking? (well, I know why you're lying - as a conservative Republican you can't help but lie)

All I simply said was that this thread title is a lie. That's true - the thread title, not to mention large parts of the linked article - is an out and out lie.

edit: Your addition skills need some work. 27,906 votes were cast last he was elected. I'd hardly call that ~22,600.
First, i'm a liar, and next your pointing out typos.

Is there any reason whatsoever that I should think you have credibility in defending your position while you resort to juvenile keyboard gamesmanship?

How about some facts and some objectivity for once? Try it!

Old 06-04-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
First, i'm a liar
For once I agree with you.

Quote:
Is there any reason whatsoever that I should think you have credibility in defending your position while you resort to juvenile keyboard gamesmanship?

How about some facts and some objectivity for once? Try it!
The reason you should find my position credible is that my position is 100% correct. We're not debating a position of opinion here - we're debating facts.

Senator Morse has yet to be recalled. That's a fact. Therefore, as my position claimed, the thread title is a lie. That's a fact. I even gave a brief overview of the recall process in Colorado to show the correctness of my position that he has not been recalled and the incorrectness of the lying thread title.

I can go into minute detail about the Colorado recall process if you really want me to.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:46 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
From the article:

The recall is not official until the Secretary of State’s office certifies that there are at least 7,178 valid signatures, or 25 percent of the number of ballots cast in the election that Morse won in 2010.

You're REALLY getting desperate, splitting hairs that badly, aren't you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
7000 signatures were required. They got over 16,000.
The article is lying. The recall is not official until the recall vote is held. That will be in November, if at all. (If 7000 signatures are found to be valid.)

Coop, you do realize that was NOT an election. It was a signature drive. The signatures have to be validated. If 7000 of them are found to be valid, there will be an election to recall John Morse, costing the taxpayers of El Paso County $150,000

Coloado Springs organization bankrolls effort to oust Sen. John Morse

Old 06-04-2013, 06:55 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Yes, the title of the discussion and assertion of the OP is a lie. Nothing new. The RWNJs consistently post untruthful/misleading information to this particular C-D forum. No doubt in my mind there will be a special election, given the number of petition signatures (provided they're not forgeries). An interesting side issue here is about the conservative, right-wing 501(c)(4) group which bankrolled the recall campaign. Seems to me the group violated the law with it's political involvement. IRS ought to have a look at this one, too.
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo., June 3, 2013 — Petition signatures filed with the Colorado Secretary of State’s office are more than sufficient to recall state senator John Morse (D). The recall is the first recall of a Colorado legislator in the state’s history.

The Recall Morse committee filed over 16,000 signatures, more than double the required number.

Looks like a done deal to me. Now let's see if he survives the vote.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:57 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo., June 3, 2013 — Petition signatures filed with the Colorado Secretary of State’s office are more than sufficient to recall state senator John Morse (D). The recall is the first recall of a Colorado legislator in the state’s history.

The Recall Morse committee filed over 16,000 signatures, more than double the required number.

Looks like a done deal to me. Now let's see if he survives it.
No link, I see!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies