Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 12:25 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,343,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Reagan would be a centrist Democrat in today's political climate.
He was Centrist enough for me have voted for him TWICE.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 12:40 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,369,489 times
As a Libertarian I view Reagan's record as spotty with some good and some bad. But I do appreciate being a young man back in that day and how his tax cuts did gas the economy. As someone who was just starting to belt out a living there was a huge difference from the Carter years where jobs were very difficult to find. And no one can take that away from his legacy and the U S had a good run from his years up until the crash.

With that said it is time for the {R}s to come up with a new message in place of tax cuts will cure all ills. We are in a different time with a global economy where the rich have a lot of different avenues to plop their money for profit. The trickle down has run out of trickle investors do not have to start U S businesses to reap a return they could play the stock market.

I would say that Reagan was the best President in my life time but consider that is not saying much when you look at the others.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:45 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Two really important things Republicans remember and love about Ronald Reagan:

"Mr. G, tear down this wall."

"Government is not the solution to our problems. Government IS the problem."

And let's not forget that Reagan started as a democrat. He came to his senses.
and anyone who thinks he was a lib didn't know him or work for and with him. I will leave it at that. You point out, what too many forget: he brought patriotism back to our country and made us proud to be Americans.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:54 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Any so-called "conservative" who still reveres Reagan the big-government Statist needs to read Rothbard's classic 1988 take-down and evisceration of the Reagan Presidency:

Ronald Reagan: An Autopsy by Murray N. Rothbard
I know a heck of a lot more about Reagan than you do, I don't care what you have read; we have all read things that are true and things that are not: Reagan was more of a Libertarian than anything and most of all he built up our defense which had gone to pot. A strong defense cost money or did you think it was free?. He also had the ability to compromise and work with all sides. There will not be another Reagan in our lifetime or probably not, but we can live with the memory of those 8 years in CA followed by his 8 years in DC. Don't forget he had a Democrat congress to try and work with, not easy!!! But he did it and they mostly respected him.

Last edited by nmnita; 06-06-2013 at 01:02 PM..

Old 06-06-2013, 03:21 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,921,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I know a heck of a lot more about Reagan than you do, I don't care what you have read; we have all read things that are true and things that are not: Reagan was more of a Libertarian than anything and most of all he built up our defense which had gone to pot. A strong defense cost money or did you think it was free?. He also had the ability to compromise and work with all sides. There will not be another Reagan in our lifetime or probably not, but we can live with the memory of those 8 years in CA followed by his 8 years in DC. Don't forget he had a Democrat congress to try and work with, not easy!!! But he did it and they mostly respected him.
LOL, Nancy is that you? Just say no to drugs, remember.

Reagan's policies on defense were pretty much the polar opposite of Libertarian. He used deficit spending to massively expand the military so that he could get involved in conflicts all over the globe. It is laughable that the same person that cooked up schemes like Iran-Contra can be described as a Libertarian.

Old 06-06-2013, 03:41 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,018,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post

Reagan's policies on defense were pretty much the polar opposite of Libertarian. He used deficit spending to massively expand the military so that he could get involved in conflicts all over the globe. It is laughable that the same person that cooked up schemes like Iran-Contra can be described as a Libertarian.
And he violated the Boland Amendment to the Constitution when he continued to illegally fund another
"fake" war in Nicaragua...I'm still waiting for Daniel Ortega and the Sandanistas to invade.

Boland Amendment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-06-2013, 04:01 PM

30,075 posts, read 18,682,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And every thread that tells the truth about ol' Ronnie RayGun has the righties scrambling to deflect from that truth.

Big difference-

Reagan-

low unemployment
low debt levels
low deficit levels
dollar strong
high personal incomes
personal savings up

Obama-

high unemployment
high debt levels
high deficits levels
dollar weak
low personal incomes
personal savings down

Gee- I guess liberals love misery, as they would prefer to have the nation suffer under a democrat, rather than prosper under a republican. That is just how crazy libs are.

Old 06-06-2013, 04:18 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,480,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post

And why exactly was he doing that?

Old 06-06-2013, 04:23 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,480,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
And he violated the Boland Amendment to the Constitution when he continued to illegally fund another
"fake" war in Nicaragua...I'm still waiting for Daniel Ortega and the Sandanistas to invade.

Oh, so democrats wanted to limit the ability of the Reagan administration to wage war against the Soviet Union and its imperialist desires... I'm shocked I tell you. Just shocked.

Now what was all that rhetoric about how today's liberals despise communism and how they'd never have gone for a totalitarian regime like the Soviet Union?

Uh huh. We didn't believe you then and we still don't believe you now.

Last edited by BigJon3475; 06-06-2013 at 05:11 PM..

Old 06-06-2013, 05:09 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,328,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post

The Boland Amendment prohibited the federal government from providing military support for the "purpose of overthrowing the Gov't of Nicaragua." Aimed to the prevent the CIA funding of rebels opposed to the then-Marxist elected Gov't of Nicaragua, the Boland Amendment, however, as narrowly interpreted by the Reagan administration, only applied to U.S. intelligence agencies, allowing the National Security Agency, not so labeled, to channel funds to the Contra rebels.

The Boland Amendment was clearly an unconstitutional usurpation of the President's clear authority to conduct foreign policy and flew in the fact of the Monroe Doctrine which the U.S. had relied on for the previous 150 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies