Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2013, 07:56 AM

1,976 posts, read 2,353,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Yeah well see, thats the dirty little secret. Make everyone register their guns with the promise that only ILLEGAL guns will ever be confiscated. Then, one by one, pass laws that make more and more guns ILLEGAL.

And by the way, I'm not letting you off that easy. You failed to answer my last question directed at you. Since you "support" these laws, I want to know the answer, and you will not escape it, for I will return here daily and if you've posted, I will reply with this.....

What constitutes an "assault weapon"???? What is your definition of them and what sets them apart from other guns that wouldn't be banned under an assault weapons ban? Are they more lethal? Are they more powerful? Do they function in a way that make them too dangerous for civilian ownership?

Since you "support" an assault weapons ban, you should know the answers to all these questions correct? You should be able to intelligently define what an "assault weapon" is and why it is too dangerous for civilian ownership right?

I'm sick of people getting let off the hook on this stuff. They want to poke their nose in to the debate, render an opinion based on zero knowledge of the topic at hand. If you don't answer, I will take your silence as an admission that you don't know the answer, and you'll be exposed for the fraud that I believe you to be.
Ok Captain Hook, here's Webster's definition of assault weapon:

any of various automatic or semiautomatic firearms; especially : assault rifle.

More info:
What Makes a Gun an Assault Weapon? -- Daily Intelligencer

Since I'm only interested in WWII weaponry, these are just ugly plastic/composite crap to me, but at any rate, do you want people to just be able to drive around with Gatling guns in their pickup beds?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 09:49 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,913,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
Ok Captain Hook, here's Webster's definition of assault weapon:

any of various automatic or semiautomatic firearms; especially : assault rifle.

More info:
What Makes a Gun an Assault Weapon? -- Daily Intelligencer

Since I'm only interested in WWII weaponry, these are just ugly plastic/composite crap to me, but at any rate, do you want people to just be able to drive around with Gatling guns in their pickup beds?
Margaret Hartmann, the article writer linked above, has no clue what she is talking about. In the description of the threaded barrel, it states "shown with suppressor attached". That is in fact an A2 flash hider that costs less than $10. PSA AR15 A2 Flash Hider 1/2-28 While a suppressor for a 5.56 costs approximately $500 plus a $200 tax stamp and a current wait of almost a year for approval from the ATF and local law enforcement. Page 3

I would not mind having the company truck for Major Malfunction.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:04 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,972,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingtundra View Post
didn't bloomburg try to get salt shakers off all restaurant counters, geeze what a nut case lol
He did and he reduced how big a soda pop you could buy too... But he didn't limit the capacity, so you can buy hi cap paper cups of soda pop all you want, but can't buy them in maximum humungo.

This way it is impossible to become a fat heffer..

Old 06-14-2013, 11:00 AM

57,311 posts, read 26,228,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
how so? we are speaking and making sure our rights are not be limited further and actively leading the charged to have unjust and unconstitutional laws repealed

5 million members, and about 150,000,000 million gun owners, we are not a small percentage of voters and even if we were, do we still not have rights?

We do not control the issue, we just have the winning argument because we base it on facts, statistics, logic, reason, and common sense.
That is a relatively small percentage to control but they are very well funded and backed by the gun manufacturers. Background checks is extremely popular among voters but yet congress refuses to take any action.

The NRA is now going after Senator Manchin even though they assisted with the proposed legislation, now they changed their minds and have spent large sums of money to defeat their previously A rated NRA senator.

Background checks is common sense and reasonable legislation, its impact is minimal yet couldn't even get through the senate.

Looks like the gun legislation was vetoed by the governor even though it was supported by 80% of all voters, a similar vote will be coming up in NJ and Christie will be on the spot.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:04 AM

1,137 posts, read 972,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post

Background checks is common sense and reasonable legislation, its impact is minimal yet couldn't even get through the senate.
Of course it is. Thats why gun haters feel the need to preface every gun control law with the terms "reasonable" or "common sense".

If it was so reasonable, it would be obvious and wouldnt need to be introduced as such.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:21 AM

510 posts, read 889,350 times
I would think most of the reason it didn't make it through the Senate, was due to being included in that monster of a bill that had plenty of things that were unreasonable--from both sides point of view. I'm guessing the antis would've been upset with a national concealed carry?

Old 06-14-2013, 11:24 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,913,619 times
Quote:
That is a relatively small percentage to control but they are very well funded and backed by the gun manufacturers. Background checks is extremely popular among voters but yet congress refuses to take any action.

The NRA is now going after Senator Manchin even though they assisted with the proposed legislation, now they changed their minds and have spent large sums of money to defeat their previously A rated NRA senator.

Looks like the gun legislation was vetoed by the governor even though it was supported by 80% of all voters, a similar vote will be coming up in NJ and Christie will be on the spot.
We already have background checks at the retail level. Please explain how we can have universal background checks without a registry?

Old 06-14-2013, 02:15 PM

1,976 posts, read 2,353,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Margaret Hartmann, the article writer linked above, has no clue what she is talking about. In the description of the threaded barrel, it states "shown with suppressor attached". That is in fact an A2 flash hider that costs less than $10. PSA AR15 A2 Flash Hider 1/2-28 While a suppressor for a 5.56 costs approximately $500 plus a $200 tax stamp and a current wait of almost a year for approval from the ATF and local law enforcement. Page 3

I would not mind having the company truck for Major Malfunction.
I only ride with these guys
Attached Thumbnails
bloomberg takes war on guns to the states-rat-patrol-2.jpg   bloomberg takes war on guns to the states-rat-patrol.jpg  

Old 06-14-2013, 05:30 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,900,806 times
[quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
Ok Captain Hook, here's Webster's definition of
assault weapon:
any of various automatic or semiautomatic firearms; especially : assault
rifle.
More info:
What Makes a Gun an Assault Weapon? -- Daily
Intelligencer
I don't care how Merriam Webster defines them or how the bimbo who wrote that article you posted defines them, YOU said that YOU support a ban on them, so YOU should already know the answer to all the following questions.....

What constitutes an "assault weapon"???? What is your definition of them and what sets them apart from other guns that wouldn't be banned under an assault weapons ban? Are they more lethal? Are they more powerful? Do they function in a way that make them too dangerous for civilian ownership?

If you could answer all of these questions separately and in detail, I'll take your argument seriously. Since you support banning them, answering any of these simple questions in your own words should be pretty easy....

EDIT: please see my posts #121 on the next page.

Quote:
, do you want people to just be able to drive around with Gatling guns in their
pickup beds?
If the people were good, decent, law abiding citizens, what would it hurt?

I once heard someone say that you could literally double or triple the amount of guns owned by peaceable citizens, and absolutely nothing would happen. However, just a few hundred guns in the hands of criminals can do a lot of damage..... very true.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 06-14-2013 at 06:14 PM..

Old 06-14-2013, 05:32 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,900,806 times
Quote:

The NRA is now going after Senator Manchin even though they assisted with the
proposed legislation
Is that actually true? I hadn't heard that. Do you have a link?
Quote:
Background checks is common sense and reasonable legislation, its impact is
minimal yet couldn't even get through the senate.
Background checks for every gun purchase sounds good to me. I'm not opposed to it at all. Neither are most of us. Do you know why it failed to pass the Senate though? Because it's a pipe dream, an unenforceable pipe dream. There is no way to enforce it. I know you and I have personally had this conversation, so why do you keep saying it's a good idea when it's already been explained to you why it's unenforceable???? Why keep pushing the idea when it's been explained to you how it's a fail? Why do you refuse to acknowledge it's a fail?

Quote:
Looks like the gun legislation was vetoed by the governor even though it was
supported by 80% of all voters,
How do we know it was supported by 80% What do we have to go on? Gallup polls or something? The governor vetoed it because gun owners and second amendment advocates actually called in in record numbers to tell him to oppose it, where as very few proponents called in in support of it. That's where we as the second amendment advocates have the upper hand.... we care enough to go the extra mile..... How many times did you call, write, and email your senators and tell them to support the bill when it was still active in the Senate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies