Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2013, 07:33 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,448,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
Why the hatred of unions in the USA ? unions fought for and won all the rights that people take for granted at work. I employed an American in Australia for my post stressing team, but there is no way he wanted to join a union so I ended up doing his contract myself. But here is the kicker, I told him no union no profit share, would the average American give up income not to join a union ? But the hypocrisy is this, he was happy to take the six weeks of holiday time that had been won by the union.

People are jealous that they don't get the benefits union members get. Rather than aspiring to get those same benefits for themselves, they would rather nobody have them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 07:36 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,937,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
People are jealous that they don't get the benefits union members get. Rather than aspiring to get those same benefits for themselves, they would rather nobody have them.
Jealous?? Why would I want to make less money??

Old 06-15-2013, 07:39 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,838 times
I believe in the idea of unions in the private sector--it is reasonable for workers and business owners to negotiate a fair split of wages.

But such negotiation must be bounded by reality--if either of the negotiators become so greedy that the company can't stay in business, it needs to fail and punish them with financial consequences. That reality is warped by our narcissistic President who thinks there are no limits to his power, and who has ZERO concern for fairness as he pays back his Special Interest benefactors (like organized labor). So instead of allowing General Motors to go under when the union got too demanding, walked in and ROBBED all the company's investors, while using taxpayer dollars to ensure the unions shared none of the pain. I lost on both sides--the shares that would have been my sole legacy from a Great-Aunt became worthless, while part of the obscene amount I pay in federal income tax went to bail out the very workers who BANKRUPTED the company. And don't think this doesn't matter to you--if you have retirement accounts or pensions, you probably DID hold GM stock that was made worthless by Executive Order of our Narcissist-in-Chief.

As to government workers and unions--it makes no sense at all to have government workers negotiating with THEMSELVES to set their salaries and benefits, with the bill sent to those who have no voice in the process. It's an insane perversion of the union concept, and we are all going to pay the price for this new privileged upper class of early-retiring government workers--who worked far few hours for a level of retirement benefits not seen in the private sector below the CEO level.

States and local governments will soon be taxing the working class into ever-greater poverty, using the ridiculous reasoning that "we promised" the overly-generous benefits, and now that can't be changed. NEWS FLASH---it CAN be changed, and SHOULD be changed. Private sector workers in all likelihood won't get the retirement benefits they were promised; and nobody born after 1960 will be getting their promised Social Security benefits either. Private sector pensions--even fully vested ones--can be easily wiped off the books with a simple "change of control" (I know, it happened to my family).

Time to level the playing field a bit. Government workers are NOT entitled to far better retirements than the vast majority of workers paying for them.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:40 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,448,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Jealous?? Why would I want to make less money??

If you're in Texas maybe you wouldn't make more money in a union as it is Right to Work. A union job in New York and non-right to work states is quite cushy and worth big buck$, unless you're in a management which most people aren't.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:42 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,370,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSpeak View Post
I would think many of those who don't like unions are either jealous because they were rejected OR they are so pro-big business that the unions threaten them. I'm thinking it's because the unions actually protect there members at least to a degree and many hate that. There are many pathetic and rather selfish pieces of dog turds in this country that view themselves as successful rugged individuals who are all apparently highly intelligent and just so happen to post on this site often It really is about being the corporate boot licker sort of like how most of our politicians are currently. It is really sad and rather pathetic but hopefully with age they die soon and we'll be rid of the filth.
ROFLMAO that's a good one. Rejected by unions? Is that supposed to be a joke? With no minimum bar no one is rejected by unions, that's why liberals love them. They don't have to do anything and get over paid for sub standard work. Union fans are afraid to actually have to compete and succeed.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:42 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Here are some examples of union tyranny:

#1 White union members attacking a black hot dog vendor in Lansing Michigan for simply selling hot dogs to a conservative group. Besides destroying his property they called him the N word, told him not to leave the "plantation", and called him an Uncle Tom.

#2 Many public teacher's unions own a health insurance provider. They then through contract negotiations create a monopoly for their company and then over charge by as much as 40% for the health insurance coverage for teachers. Some large school districts would literally lose well over half a million dollars a year through this corrupt arrangement. This means less money for teacher compensation, less teachers, less supplies, less leaky roofs getting fixed, keeping pay to play sports, etc...but hey more donations to Democrats!

No wonder FDR was opposed to public sector unions.

#3 Public voting for recertification so the union can intimidate you into voting the "right way."

#4 Bullying newspaper photographers not to take pictures of republicans at campaign stops.

#5 Protecting poor and lazy teachers.
Is this by state or what. And where did you get this info from. The reason I ask is because my daughter is a teacher and she can choose what health insurance she wants. She was so overwhelmed with all the options the union provided that my husband had to help her choose.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
If you're in Texas maybe you wouldn't make more money in a union as it is Right to Work. A union job in New York and non-right to work states is quite cushy and worth big buck$, unless you're in a management which most people aren't.
Think again.... I do better on my own than a union member in NY. And I don't have a union boss telling me I have to stand by and watch another man be injured because helping him prevent it is not a part of MY job. (Yes that happened)

Old 06-15-2013, 07:47 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,822,090 times
Quote:
Why the hatred of unions in the USA ? unions fought for and won all the rights that people take for granted at work. I employed an American in Australia for my post stressing team, but there is no way he wanted to join a union so I ended up doing his contract myself. But here is the kicker, I told him no union no profit share, would the average American give up income not to join a union ? But the hypocrisy is this, he was happy to take the six weeks of holiday time that had been won by the union.

Ummm... because unions suck? Yep, THAT's the answer, because unions SUCK.

Unions suck creativity.
Unions suck productivity.
Unions suck ambition.
Unions suck personal drive.
Unions suck resources that could be used elsewhere.
Unions suck the opportunity created by a merit based pay system.
Unions suck by creating legacy costs.
Unions suck by limiting promotion to qualified people vs people with seniority.
Unions suck by STEALING from members to fund union management favored PACs.
Unions suck because they cater to the lowest common denominator.

In essence... Unions suck because they SUCK!

Old 06-15-2013, 07:49 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Quote:
It's cultural manipulation orchestrated by the rich and powerful, plain and simple. Some people long for the days when you could tie strings on a worker and make him dance for their profit and pleasure whether the worker wants to or not.

I guess it's a bit like gun control... only a fool surrenders his leverage against the guy at the table who is obviously trying to acquire and hold all the cards and will say anything to get them.

Unfortunately, Americas is FULL of fools.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:52 PM

Oh brother.... What a load of crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies