Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 11:05 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,462,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
HELLO!!!

Harrier said that the team should pay for their own stadium, not the taxpayers.

Surpise - urbanlife78 agrees with Harrier!.

Are you an "in the closet" conservative?
I agree with you on most things but the 3rd person is creeping me out lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 09:16 AM

3,121 posts, read 3,101,404 times
Conservatives greatly admire loyalty. The Big 3 of San Antonio have been remarkably loyal while two of the three big 3 Heat members have acted in a somewhat mercenary fashion.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:30 AM

15,896 posts, read 12,005,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
And guess what happened when the city refused to pay for a new stadium? The team moved to a city that was willing to pay for a new stadium because that is how professional sports works.

And, no Harrier I am not a conservative, I just think multi-millionaires should pay for their own stadiums rather than relying on the tax payers to fund their pet projects. Think of it like the whole Occupy Wall St., this is about making the 1% pay for their toys rather than relying on the 99% to pay for everything for them.

I agree with this. While they're at it tell them to stop taxing smokers for funding their pet projects such as stadiums and then telling us we can't smoke in them! Especially when they're open air stadiums! And yes while I agree with you and Harrier about owners paying for their own stadiums, unfortunately, those owners hold the city hostage, and if the taxpayers don't pony up, then the team moves. Exhibit A: Art Modell and the Cleveland Browns!

As for the topic of the thread, I am rooting for the Spurs simply because of the way Lebron James made a spectacle of himself with his "Decision" and the way that he b**** slapped Cleveland and it's fans on national tv after they did nothing but gave him undying support! On the other hand, hopefully my fellow Northeast Ohioans learned a lesson going forward, and have learned to have more pride in themselves and this region than to worship some athlete like he is some sort of God, simply because this region is so desperate for a championship from one of its sports teams!

Old 06-17-2013, 09:32 AM

32,820 posts, read 19,518,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Poll: Most Americans Cheering For Spurs In Finals « CBS Miami
This is the kind of thing I find fascinating. PPP did a poll to find out who favors which team in the current NBA finals. While Americans overall like the Spurs, Obama supporters favor them by a scant 28-25 margin. Romney voters favor the Spurs by a 37-15 margin, while 'very conservative' people favor the Spurs by an even more lopsided 42-15. Numbers are less than 100%--presumably the rest had no opinion. 42-15 is just under a 3-1 margin.

Speaking for myself, I would call myself very conservative, and am rooting for the Spurs. Part of it goes back to David Robinson, former Spur, former Navy officer, patriot, and all around good guy. Part of it is the idea that the Heat 'jumped the queue' to build their team. I don't know if jumping the queue is a liberal value, but the fact is that for some reason, libs have warmed up to the Heat much more than cons. Anybody have any theories as to why?
I'm cheering for the Knickerbockers, someday they will get there

Old 06-17-2013, 09:43 AM

78,553 posts, read 60,762,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Poll: Most Americans Cheering For Spurs In Finals « CBS Miami
This is the kind of thing I find fascinating. PPP did a poll to find out who favors which team in the current NBA finals. While Americans overall like the Spurs, Obama supporters favor them by a scant 28-25 margin. Romney voters favor the Spurs by a 37-15 margin, while 'very conservative' people favor the Spurs by an even more lopsided 42-15. Numbers are less than 100%--presumably the rest had no opinion. 42-15 is just under a 3-1 margin.

Speaking for myself, I would call myself very conservative, and am rooting for the Spurs. Part of it goes back to David Robinson, former Spur, former Navy officer, patriot, and all around good guy. Part of it is the idea that the Heat 'jumped the queue' to build their team. I don't know if jumping the queue is a liberal value, but the fact is that for some reason, libs have warmed up to the Heat much more than cons. Anybody have any theories as to why?
It's probably at least somewhat age related.

Miami has a whole bunch of younger fans due to Lebron.

Spurs are an older team with older fans that have followed Tim Duncan and before him David Robinson etc.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:46 AM

78,553 posts, read 60,762,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
I'm cheering for the Knickerbockers, someday they will get there
Not with those owners. Knicks are one of the 5 worst run teams in the NBA.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:10 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,466,179 times
Who in the hell cares oh please. People have a right to root for the team they want to win, for whatever reasons, whether we like it or not. Who cares. This is a post why.

I'm republician who usually like the spurs, nope right now i want the Heat to win, i just want the heat and this is my damn choice whether some like it or not.

People make too many deals today out of nothing, while living and breathing in American, we still have some choices left.

I'm a die hard laker fan at heart, but the team, and i am honest was **** this year, and a disapointmnet. So i am rooting for the Heat, and that is my choice. You don't have to like it or hate it, i really could care less.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:18 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,712,053 times
Vegetarians support the Spurs heavily, while meat eaters were more balanced. People see the Heat as all 'show', because of the star power they purchased, almost like Hollywood, and many people don't like it. I support the Heat, but then again, they are a local team for me, and I supported them befor the LeBron came here. I believe LeBron was voted the 'most disliked athlete in US'. Maybe that has something to do with it

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 06-17-2013 at 12:36 PM..

Old 06-17-2013, 12:35 PM

15,896 posts, read 12,005,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Vegetarians support the Spurs heavily, while meat eaters were more balanced. People see the Heat as all 'show', because of the star power they purchased, almost like Hollywood, and many people don't like it. I support the Heat, but then again, they are a local team for me, and I supported them befor the LeBron came here

Given that they are a local team for you, I can understand, and can respect that, as I too am loyal to my hometeams! While I have no love for the Heat, I do have a soft spot for the Dolphins, as I had a great uncle (originally from up here) who lived in Hollywood, FL back in the day. He has long since passed on. Not to mention, I used to love watching Dan Marino back in the day, and of course Don Shula was a Cleveland guy, and started his career as a Cleveland Brown.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:41 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,916,577 times
I've always believed Popovich is the most underrated coach in the league and when the Rockets are out San Antonio is my second choice to win the championship. I do tend to favor smaller market teams over larger market teams and tend to root against the favorites. I've always admired the quite types who get it done over the showy guys. Though, to be fair to James, I do not really see him as a showy type I think the media is just infatuated with him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies