Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 08:00 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,825,562 times

Advertisements

In particular I have no interest in buying the high deductable plan my employer offers. It is such a bad plan that I heard only two people in our office currently buys it. My mind is made up that even if it is against the law for me not to have health insurance I will not buy this no matter what!

If it's a relatively small fine not to be insured I will pay it. If it's a hefty fine I would rather go to jail than to pay it. I just hope they put me in a minimum security prison as I hate violent criminals with a passion and don't want to be anywhere near them.

Will the "exchange" allow me to buy a plan I like even if my employer offers me health insurance. If so I would consider buying it. If it's too expensive though just lock me up. At least I would get three square meals and FINALLY not have to buy health insurance under the Obamacare law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 08:04 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
There is no teeth in the fine, it's specifically written in he law they can't go after your bank account, assets etc. From 2010 statement by the then IRS chief:

Quote:
IRS chief: Buy health insurance or lose your tax refund | The Daily Caller

Speaking at the National Press Club on Monday, Shulman downplayed the IRS’s role in enforcing the recent overhaul of the health insurance industry by claiming the agency would not aggressively target individuals who don’t purchase coverage. He noted that the health-care bill expressly forbids the agency from freezing bank accounts, seizing assets or pursuing criminal charges, but when pressed said the IRS would most likely use tax refund offsets to penalize those that don’t comply with the mandate. The IRS uses refund offsets to collect from individuals that owe the federal government a delinquent debt.
If you adjust your withholding so there is no refund which you should be doing anyway there is nothing to collect from.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:07 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I would rather go to jail than buy health insurance
I would settle with doctors and hospitals being prohibited from treating you unless you can cover the cost of your own care and not have your cost passed on to me.

Deal?

Old 07-02-2013, 08:08 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,472,056 times
You are not gonna go to jail. Plus, even if you did, you would receive better health care than you do now.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:08 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,456,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I would settle with doctors and hospitals being prohibited from treating you unless you can cover the cost of your own care and not have your cost passed on to me.

Deal?
Amen!

Old 07-02-2013, 08:09 PM

39,080 posts, read 51,252,674 times
The plan your employer is offering, if it is as bad as you are saying, probably won't be allowed once Obamacare comes on line. There is a minimum level of coverage required and maximums on things like deductibles. What you get is a little complicated depending on who you work for and how many employees there are. And to make matters worse, today the Obama admin gave a pass to large employers so they do not have to provide coverage for their employees for another year - a payback for the campaign donors I suppose.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:11 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,228,286 times
Quote:

Deal?
That sounds good to me. I pay for my own health insurance. I do not want to pay for your injuries and/or illnesses.

I always hoped that they would create a national registry for people who knowingly and deliberately decline health insurance. This database should be accessible by all health care provider in assessing whether they should treat such an individual or not.

People relying on tax payer handouts when they are financially capable of paying for their own health insurance or health care costs are just a bunch of leeches.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:12 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:

Deal?
Ahh but if he gets sick the insurance company can no longer deny him coverage.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:14 PM

39,080 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Ahh but if he gets sick the insurance company can no longer deny him coverage.
They can (must) until the next open enrollment. That could be up to a year.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:15 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,825,562 times
Quote:

Deal?
Deal as long as we can cut everyone off from medical treatment who is not paying into the system, this would include every single Medicaid recipient (which my tax dollars help fund btw).

btw, I am paying my own doctor and hospital bills out of pocket. So your deal sounds very attractive to me. in particular if all freeloaders can be denied service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies