Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 08:20 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,655,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
In particular I have no interest in buying the high deductable plan my employer offers. It is such a bad plan that I heard only two people in our office currently buys it. My mind is made up that even if it is against the law for me not to have health insurance I will not buy this no matter what!

If it's a relatively small fine not to be insured I will pay it. If it's a hefty fine I would rather go to jail than to pay it. I just hope they put me in a minimum security prison as I hate violent criminals with a passion and don't want to be anywhere near them.

Will the "exchange" allow me to buy a plan I like even if my employer offers me health insurance. If so I would consider buying it. If it's too expensive though just lock me up. At least I would get three square meals and FINALLY not have to buy health insurance under the Obamacare law.
Then you need to hope that Obamcare gets replaced by health care through bankruptcy, so you can decide for yourself if you want to risk that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 08:20 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,299,615 times
Quote:
Will the "exchange" allow me to buy a plan I like even if my employer offers me health insurance. If so I would consider buying it.
You have the option to buy insurance on the exchanges even if your employer already offers a plan. However, you won’t be eligible for any subsidies unless your employer’s plan is deemed inadequate.

You might want to withhold judgment until the premiums and benefits for the plans on the exchanges are finalized. You may actually come out ahead …

Old 07-02-2013, 08:23 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,660,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I would settle with doctors and hospitals being prohibited from treating you unless you can cover the cost of your own care and not have your cost passed on to me.

Deal?
Now that sounds like a plan!

Old 07-02-2013, 08:24 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
Anything the IRS can garnish then that is what they will hit for fines as IRS enforces the fine which is why Surpeme court ruled it a tax. You can shop in pools but your employer is not by the law able to give you contribution to buy in pools ;its all on you. Unions got that to keep people from leaving their pools in the healthcare bill. the coverage once under the mandates will be quite different from what you have now likely.it will have to meet guidelines of the bill. I don't think the penalty includes jian ;so under law you can not go to jail or do that in place of fines. Fine only offenses have been precluded from jail time for so year now under supreme court ruling.Doesn't mean tho you can't be picked on judges warrant to be brought before him they just can't give jail time in place of fine.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:25 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,070,009 times
Quote:
Deal as long as we can cut everyone off from medical treatment who is not paying into the system, this would include every single Medicaid recipient (which my tax dollars help fund btw).
There is a distinct difference between someone who can't and someone who can but won't.

Quote:
I am paying my own doctor and hospital bills out of pocket.
Either you have some bigassed pockets or you have never required hospitalization or you have never had to deal with a catastrophic illness or injury.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:26 PM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
I got it wrong on my comment above: SMALL employers are being exempted for a year, not LARGE ones. So if you work for a company that has less than 50 employees and your boss decides not to offer a plan, you can go on the exchanges. Frankly, I think everyone ought to go to the exchanges and the company can pay part or all of the tab instead of offering health care linked to a job. Under Obamacare, you won't be a slave to your health insurance as much as now, but it is still a dumbass system rooted in the industrial revolution and hurts employers and employees alike.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:32 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,749,912 times
Quote:
Deal as long as we can cut everyone off from medical treatment who is not paying into the system, this would include every single Medicaid recipient (which my tax dollars help fund btw).

btw, I am paying my own doctor and hospital bills out of pocket. So your deal sounds very attractive to me. in particular if all freeloaders can be denied service.

Including children?

Old 07-02-2013, 08:34 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,424,105 times
Fine with me. When you show up at the ER you better have cash. I'm tired of subsidizing your "freedom".

Old 07-02-2013, 08:35 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,299,615 times
Quote:
btw, I am paying my own doctor and hospital bills out of pocket. So your deal sounds very attractive to me. in particular if all freeloaders can be denied service.
Would you still feel that way if you were in a serious car accident or came down with a rare brain tumor?

Old 07-02-2013, 08:36 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,826,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
There is a distinct difference between someone who can't and someone who can but won't.

Either you have some bigassed pockets or you have never required hospitalization or you have never had to deal with a catastrophic illness or injury.
I was in the hospital late last year. I am on a payment plan. Unlike my enemies on Medicaid I am paying for my own medical care.

I don't buy the can't and can but won't. Many on Medicaid earn income near the same range as me. Because they have an illegitimate kid or two they now get free medical, food stamps and more. To add insult to injury I, as one of the 53%, help fund these programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies