Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 09:27 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,765,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Washing dishes? I think she told me she earns $9/hr and works something like 25 hours a week max. Her hours are inconsistent, though.
She can be paid that since it comes to $900. It gets weird though because if she was drawing $2000 a month SSDI and made $1200 on the side she'd lose the $2000. Not much motivation now.

So, paying her under the table isn't protecting anyone, it is rewarding her with extra money as a charitable cause or to be cynical the employer is saving by not paying tax. I doubt she's really saving much by doing that.

1,999 posts, read 2,472,591 times
Quote:
You'd be wrong (again).

I know a lady who is in some kind of depressive medical condition, nothing else wrong with her, lives on Prozac, and gets everything from SSDI to food stamps.

She's a basket case.
Bipolar and certain conditions can get you automatically qualified.

Regular depression won't.

32,071 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
You'd be wrong (again).

I know a lady who is in some kind of depressive medical condition, nothing else wrong with her, lives on Prozac, and gets everything from SSDI to food stamps.

She's a basket case.
How am I wrong. I only said I never heard of this. Maybe you should re read my post for a better understanding of what I said. lol
Anyway, how do you know that there is nothing else wrong with this lady. An SSRI is not reason for disability so obviously there is more to it which you are not privy to.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:29 PM

Quote:
You'd be wrong (again).

She's a basket case.
Just a technical point (analaty) she said she hadn't heard of it. If she's getting foodstamps she's probably also getting something I don't think we've mentioned yet but SSI which is supplemental income for people that are really broke and disabled. Assuming she doesn't have many assets.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:30 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Does anyone have any statistics on the percentage of people on disability due to lifestyle choices? I couldn't find anything. And given the recent rampant surge of obesity and the fact it is now considered a "disease" I suspect the number of people getting federal assistance for disability will explode in the next decade or so.

I got to thinking today about the people I know for whom disability checks is their only income. Almost all had horrible lifestyles and are not that old.

Couple A: She has been obese her entire life. Poor diet, zero exercise. Late 50s, now 100% disabled because of serious complications from diabetes. Her husband is in his early 50s, also obese, and a smoker, has bad heart/pacemaker and is on 100% disability.
Couple B: She has been obese most of her life. Poor diet, zero exercise...is on 100% disability for bad heart, diabetes, two knee replacements. She is 58. Her husband is 61 and also is considered 100% disabled because he has severe COPD. Fat and a long-time smoker (to his credit he quit about 10 years ago.)
Person A: Obese, smoker, alcoholic, 62 years old. On disability for substance addiction and spinal stenosis.
Person B: Smoker, alcoholic, 55 yo on disability for multiple strokes and now partially blind.
Person C: Late 50s, not obese but smoker, on 100% disability for congestive heart failure and has a pacemaker.

Actually the only other person I know of personally who is on disability is on it because of some horrid genetic snafu for early arthritis...she is 55 and was at one point a competitive body builder and does not smoke or drink but has had several joint replacements and is facing more at 54 years old...I think her case is righteous.

I totally agree with you about the obese people. Obese people and smokers are the reason insurance rates skyrocketed.

But I wouldn't give the bodybuilder a pass. Many of these people abuse their bodies. Just like the joggers you see running on cement sidewalks, the joint damage they're doing in their 20s and 30s is going to come back to bite them in their 40s and 50s.

They think they're keeping themselves in shape when they're looking at major joint damage down the road.

I would be willing to bet your bodybuilder friend has a reason for needing joint replacements.

So it is no different than the ones who stuff themselves and blow up to 400 pounds.

They just abuse their bodies in different ways.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
Bipolar and certain conditions can get you automatically qualified.

Regular depression won't.
This is correct. What this means is that it is assumed that if you have this condition and can't work there aren't the rest of the hoops to go through. There's an entire determination that is done in steps. With bipolar and several others if you pass the right step (I think it's 3 or 4) it stops.

There is also one condition that is REALLY automatically qualified. Trivia question if anyone wants to win points. You only have to prove that you have it not that you can't work. This is a lottery you don't want to win.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:36 PM

32,071 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
This is an area you don't want to challenge me in. But if you insist, please tell me but in the form of links to SSA since that's what we're talking about.

I cannot wait to learn the difference between bi-polar and manic depression. I'd pop corn if it wouldn't make the keyboard greasy so please hurry. I want a snack.
I wasn't talking about SSA. You were talking about people with bi polar disorder who would just kill themselves anyway. I was disputing that because you really don't know what you're talking about. Bi polar has extreme highs and lows, manic depression only has lows. Bi polar people have no interest in killing themselves though. And bi polar 2 is the hardest to diagnose because it's confused with manic depression. They are treated differently though. So if your an expert in this area then you would know all of this.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I wasn't talking about SSA. You were talking about people with bi polar disorder who would just kill themselves anyway. I was disputing that because you really don't know what you're talking about. Bi polar has extreme highs and lows, manic depression only has lows. Bi polar people have no interest in killing themselves though. And bi polar 2 is the hardest to diagnose because it's confused with manic depression. They are treated differently though. So if your an expert in this area then you would know all of this.

Actually you don't know what you're talking about. Bipolar Disorder was a term that came out several years ago and replaced the term Manic Depression, it sounds less scary.

They are in fact one and the same condition.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:46 PM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
But what to do with them? That's where we start making societal damages to not punish someone for their condition after they paid in to the system. Any idea what their check is and how long long they worked and what the earned?
If you're going to argue denying them benefits, don't forget to add those who are on disability due to a sugar addiction, as many more people are on disability due to diabetes than drug addiction. There are also more people on disability due to nicotine and alcohol than drugs.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:49 PM

Quote:
You'd be wrong (again).

She's a basket case.

This is correct. I knew someone when I still lived in CA who was collecting SSDI for being agoraphobic, she was in her mid 30s and said it prevented her from going to work.

She had no problem driving her car and going to stores and such, but couldn't go to a job.

Also managed to sit on an airplane from LAX to fly to Europe and visit several countries for over a month.

But couldn't sit at a desk in an office. Go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies