Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2013, 05:16 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,651,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Who could she have called for help ?

TM's parents are why she's going through this.
No, George Zimmerman is why she's going through this.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:18 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,610,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
really his past is irrelevant

the fact of being 6'3 former high school football player with anger issues

the fact that he was from a broken home

the fact that he was suspended at least 3 times just in the past year

the fact that he was caught with stolen property and burglery tools

the fact that he had a pipe and an bag of weed residue

the fact that he told his girl friend he was going to get this guy who was watching him

the fact that he was acting suspicous, looking in some of the houses, (casing/checking out )

the fact of his offensive tweets and illegally having a gun

realy that is all irrelevant

the facts are a punk kid was acting suspicous in a neighborhood that was having problems with robberies, he was tailed/observed by the neighborhood watch, TM attacked the neighborhood watch, and unfortuatly was killed in self defense

Totally agree with the great points you make!!!

I just get the sinking feeling that Zman is done for.....both sides want to see him go away for a long, long time.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:20 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,410,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Thinker View Post
She's agitated, and unable to focus. I agree, the usual tactics are not effective. But as a Friend? While on the phone with Trayvon, she was headed to do her hair. That's when Bluetooth came up. Could be just the way she is, little emotion, except for seeing the body. She did have some very solid moments when she concentrated, and defense allowed her to score goals in an empty net.

I hope it's not as confrontational tomorrow.
I think the defense will do everything possible to make her angry.

And I really believe it is important to be able to understand this young woman in terms of the cultural context in which she has been raised. Miami is many countries in one city. There's "Little Havana," there's "Little Haiti".....etc., etc. People from the islands and from South America. The do not assimilate very much. The Cubans see themselves as superior to all the other Hispanics in Miami, as well as all the native Miamians, white, black, purple, and the Haitians and all South Americans for the most part. These people from different countries maintain their cultural heritage. The Haitians are at about the bottom of the barrel in Miami. They don't trust courts of law or enforcement very much, as well they shouldn't. Many of the older Haitians remember well the history of Papa Doc. Rachel is/was Trayvon's friend but she doesn't think like we native "white folks" in this country.. And I don't mean that as a negative thing. She lives within the context of HER WORLD, her culture.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:26 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,778,476 times
You are entitled to your beliefs, id be surprised if any of it means squat to that jury

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
I think the defense will do everything possible to make her angry.

And I really believe it is important to be able to understand this young woman in terms of the cultural context in which she has been raised. Miami is many countries in one city. There's "Little Havana," there's "Little Haiti".....etc., etc. People from the islands and from South America. The do not assimilate very much. The Cubans see themselves as superior to all the other Hispanics in Miami, as well as all the native Miamians, white, black, purple, and the Haitians and all South Americans for the most part. These people maintain their cultural heritage. The Haitians are at about the bottom of the barrel in Miami. They don't trust courts of law enforcement very much, as well they shouldn't. She is Trayvon's friend but she doesn't think like we native "white folks" in this country.. And I don't mean that as a negative thing. She lives within the context of HER WORLD, her culture.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:27 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,469,695 times
Z says he left his keys in the ignition - and the car sounds ding-ding when he gets out - but his keys w/ attached pocket flashlight are found at the T.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I will have to plead on this one. This was per a legal expert on MSNBC today. So, I do not know this to be 100% accurate. So, it could be wrong - it just happened to come up at the exact same time I was watching it and she said that.
She may just be incorrect on that. I've been through hundreds of trials and I've never once heard a jury instruction to the jury to ignore the witness's entire testimony if that witness is impeached by an attorney on different points.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:29 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,028,329 times
Quote:
She may just be incorrect on that. I've been through hundreds of trials and I've never once heard a jury instruction to the jury to ignore the witness's entire testimony if that witness is impeached by an attorney on different points.
That very well could be - I was going with her expertise. If I am wrong, I am happy to admit so.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
You are entitled to your beliefs, id be surprised if any of it means squat to that jury
I was responding to comments/question made by Sun Thinker. I was not talking about the jury understanding that. And, who knows? There is a woman on the jury who is Hispanic/Black. Maybe she understands the cultural differences. What I do think is that the jury is able to see this young woman as being authentic and honest in her testimony and that she does NOT have an agenda to "get" Zimmerman. She doesn't care about this trial. She cares only that her friend is dead, and, unfortunately, that's life.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
That very well could be - I was going with her expertise. If I am wrong, I am happy to admit so.
Fine with me. How do we know when the witness is impeached adequately for that kind of instruction to the jury to disregard all of her testimony? The fact is that the defense has already impeached her on one point today.......she said in a statement made prior to the trial that the voice screaming for help on the tape "could be Trayvon," yet on the witness stand today she said the scream for help "was Trayvon." Technically, that's a lie.

If you see that attorney on MSNBC again, maybe you could jot down her name? Thanks.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:41 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,778,476 times
I cant read a jury so completely. Its a good thing you are here to help us along

Quote:
I was responding to comments/question made by Sun Thinker. I was not talking about the jury understanding that. And, who knows? There is a woman on the jury who is Hispanic/Black. Maybe she understands the cultural differences. What I do think is that the jury is able to see this young woman as being authentic and honest in her testimony and that she does NOT have an agenda to "get" Zimmerman. She doesn't care about this trial. She cares only that her friend is dead, and, unfortunately, that's life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies