Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2013, 06:52 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,511,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
It helps to have lived in Miami and understand a bit better the cultural context of her life, having grown up in a family who recently (before she was born) moved to the U.S. In Miami, there are people from many countries, and they tend to maintain in their homes the culture from which they came, and often do not speak English at home, but the language from their native homeland. Haitians have an especially hard time in Miami. There are often boat loads of Haitians who come ashore in Miami, trying to escape Haiti's harsh govt before the hurricane that wiped them out, and those people are immediately sent back to Haiti, whereas the Cubans have the wet-foot-dry-foot policy/law which allows them to stay if they can get one foot on land. Seems to me that the Haitians in Miami get a pretty bad deal, and they don't much trust our courts to do anything for them, plus there is the combination of speaking Creole at home and English only where they must, like school. Additionally, she is an immature teenager. She is not accustomed to being precise when talking......that's why I think she didn't see much difference in "that could be Trayvon" etc. and "that was Trayvon." She has already explained that the Crump interview meant nothing to her, and she "rushed" through it to be finished with it. This girl is in fact an immature teenager seemingly without a good education in speaking correct, precise English.
The quote is from the depo she gave to West. Nothing to do with brushing off crump.

OK, so when listening to her today, I should keep in mind she's an immature teen who doesn't speak 'precise' English' [as if it takes 'precise' English to know 'It could be' and 'I don't know' are different than 'it was.]

Her parents May speak creole at home [you know that ?], so her years in school, with English-speaking friends, watching The First 48, etc. weren't enough for her to know the differene between 'It could be' and 'I don't know' and 'it was.'

It's a cultural thing.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:55 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,411,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Can you explain how comments about ONE person that has made racist statements and used racially offensive slurs is now an opinion of all black people? Martin is no more a representative of all black people than Zimmerman is of all Hispanics.
Last time I looked, we're all individuals. I never said Trayvon's opinions represented every black person in this country. I said Billy's opinions which he has been repeating "po', po' little trayvon" indicated someone who probably has a negative opinion about black people. Billy has been posting that "negative dialect" type of post long, long before the witness yesterday testified that Trayvon said he was being followed by a "crazy azz cracker"..........unless, of course, Billy is just making fun of another stereotype with the "po' po'" thing such as ignorant rednecks in the South.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
The quote is from the depo she gave to West. Nothing to do with brushing off crump.

OK, so when listening to her today, I should keep in mind she's an immature teen who doesn't speak 'precise' English' [as if it takes 'precise' English to know 'It could be' and 'I don't know' are different than 'it was.]

Her parents May speak creole at home [you know that ?], so her years in school, with English-speaking friends, watching The First 48, etc. weren't enough for her to know the differene between 'It could be' and 'I don't know' and 'it was.'

It's a cultural thing.
Have you ever or do you live in an International city like Miami which is so enormously diverse? There are people who have lived in Miami for 20 years and more who do not know how to speak one word of English. And they survive very well because so many people do speak their languages. How do you know that all this young women's friends speak English all the time? How do you know that she doesn't have a lot of Haitian friends who also speak Creole. She is also speaking "teenager"......

You really should also to try to remember that even though she looks like an adult, she is very immature, and she just experienced the most traumatic event of her life. She said she feels guilty because she was the last person who talked to Trayvon, and I assume she feels guilty because she may think that she could have done something to help him but didn't realize the importance of what she heard was happening with him.

Btw, I have visited in many homes in Miami where the family speaks Spanish at home, and in some cases had to take an interpreter with me, so I've had some personal experience with this type of thing. Also, many people in Miami who are multi-lingual will be talking to you in English and then just lapse into Spanish, or Creole, or whatever without even realizing it. Even if they can speak English well, if they grew up with their first language being something other than English, after they learn English in school, they still from time to time lapse into their "original" language. THIS is what I think is causing the "communication" problem with Rachel. She speaks "teenager" and English, and probably Creole. THAT combination can cause some issues with communicating like we white, English-speaking people "expect" all others to communicate. Try putting yourself in someone else's shoes for a minute.

Yes, I think the communication problem is a "cultural" thing which apparently you nor Mr. West can related to at all.

Last edited by FancyFeast5000; 06-27-2013 at 07:12 AM..

Old 06-27-2013, 07:05 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,678,384 times
Originally Posted by Tilt11
Not at all. Shes a proven liar and a loser on top of it. But it was nice of her to confirm that Martin was a racist. I just think its hilarious to watch a bunch of libs fawn over a borderline retarded wanna be thuggette.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's the new way, doncha know. The new norm. The newest and latest hypocricy:

Paula Deen says n***a 30 years ago and squalling racists want her boiled in Crisco.

An unknown semi-literate, mumbling doofus appears in what should be a professional, solemn setting and says "cracker n***a", and immediately becomes the Unpolished Pearl of Haiti...a brave soul people with no standards or common sense look up to and applaud.

And they wonder why we laugh at them...

Old 06-27-2013, 07:14 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,511,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
I don't have to ask any lawyers I know. All YOU have to do is turn on your TV and you will get as much opinion and advice from lawyers as you want.

I, having worked many trials, think her testimony was very good for the prosecution. She was very genuine. In court, that gets points with a jury. Also, in a courtroom it is easy to pick up on how authentic a person is when testifying. If you want to judge the young woman by comparing her to a well-educated person from a middle class typical American family, you're going to misjudge her every time.

Btw, I've never, ever typed a brief in my life. Wouldn't know where to start. Those things require somewhat complicated use of word processing software about which I am clueless. I don't think any attorneys would pay my hourly rate for me to do something for which I have no experience or training. Why does it bother you so much that my background is investigations and involves working with the legal teams in the courtroom?
She's authentic alright. An authentic liar. Or to you, a misunderstood teen.

I'm sure the jury was impressed by her authenticity when she said, 'No, I'm leaving today' and 'What !' [while shaking her head] when told she'd be returning today. Jurors who basically give up their lives for a month or so, no doubt thought, 'You go girl.'

Old 06-27-2013, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Not at all. Shes a proven liar and a loser on top of it. But it was nice of her to confirm that Martin was a racist. I just think its hilarious to watch a bunch of libs fawn over a borderline retarded wanna be thuggette.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paula Deen says n***a 30 years ago and squalling racists want her boiled in Crisco.

An unknown semi-literate, mumbling doofus appears in what should be a professional, solemn setting and says "cracker n***a", and immediately becomes the Unpolished Pearl of Haiti...a brave soul people with no standards or common sense look up to and applaud.

Dale, you do understand that when testifying that the witness is required to use the exact words said.....they are not supposed to "pretty" it up. Courtrooms are for adult jurors and court personnel, and when a witness takes the oath to tell the truth and nothing but the truth, that includes the exact words that they either said at the time, or as in this case the exact words Martin said to Rachel.

Amazing. There are still people in this country, born and raise here of American parents, that are so unsophisticated and harbor so many prejudices they are incapable of even the simple understanding that people in this world are not all the same.

And they wonder why we cry for them.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:18 AM

303 posts, read 595,800 times
Quote:

Listen, I'm not happy about the level of ignorance and disrespect this young lady is displaying either but the setting is entirely different.

While this is a professional setting, she is also UNDER OATH. In recounting the story, Trayvon used those words; therefore, she is under obligation to repeat the words TM used AD VERBATIM. This isn't a situation where Miss Rachel is calling the attorneys, judge or jury the word. She is simply recounting the story.

Not everyone is against Paula Deen, and I feel like the combination of these two events is apt to set off some kind of race war between racists on BOTH SIDES. Incidentally, neither of you are helping.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:24 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,228,517 times
Quote:

She was testifying to what Trayvon said....Was she supposed to make [MOD CUT/language] up like George. That is what folks mean when we say she is being herself. She is not pretending to be a professional, or anything else. She is a kid, who obviously has some learning disabilities, or comprehension disabilities. She is doing a decent job, I think she actually will have an influence....because she is being herself...and the Defense attorney is patronizing and insensitive. Just watch.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 06-27-2013 at 08:54 AM..

Old 06-27-2013, 07:27 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,991,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
She was testifying to what Trayvon said....Was she supposed to make s--t up like George. That is what folks mean when we say she is being herself. She is not pretending to be a professional, or anything else. She is a kid, who obviously has some learning disabilities, or comprehension disabilities. She is doing a decent job, I think she actually will have an influence....because she is being herself...and the Defense attorney is patronizing and insensitive. Just watch.
Disabilities? Maybe she is just ignorant. That doesn't mean someone is disable, it just means perhaps she has never learned how to conduct herself or how to handle certain situations. It always disturbs me how people are quick to say someone like this has a disability.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:30 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,399,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
Disabilities? Maybe she is just ignorant. That doesn't mean someone is disable, it just means perhaps she has never learned how to conduct herself or how to handle certain situations. It always disturbs me how people are quick to say someone like this has a disability.
Disabilities come in all forms. Some people can write well, and express themselves clearly, while being completely ignorant and intolerant. I think it's a disability.

Jeantel is showing she's not stupid, and has made some mistakes by not taking this appearance seriously. I think she knows this is very serious now.

West is definitely earning his money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies