Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2013, 11:43 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,411,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
The defense is definitely boring but he's presenting facts. His presentation is pathetic, though. I don't like the way he says stupid things like, "someone keeps moving my stuff," when he can't find a photo or something.

The world does not need screaming, screeching, forum-type attorneys, though. I realize most people think the unbelievable action they see on TV and movies is real, but that's not real life.

OK, they're going to lunch, now.
What he is saying in opening is not presenting facts. Guess you're unfamiliar with the Jury instructions (which the Judge gave to this jury prior to the attorneys starting their opening statements this a.m.)that specifically tells the jury that THE THINGS SAID BY THE ATTORNEYS IN OPENING ARE NOT FACTS, and should not be considered as facts.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:47 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,399,115 times
I was curious as to how he'd deal with the most damaging lack of evidence. Pretty good, but he was a bit tense. The hands

9,827 posts, read 6,939,754 times
Both defense and prosecution will try and game the other in the opening statements....It's important to paint the picture you want in the juries mind even though they are supposed to dismiss them as non factual.. It's gamemanship

10,942 posts, read 10,259,187 times
I wonder if at lunch break they told Zimmerman to "wake up." lol

He seems to be holding his head up more now and he looks like he's trying to keep his eyes open.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Thinker View Post
They review the performance, and come up with ways to improve it. DETAILS, he says.

After reviewing the prosecutions opening statement, which seemed like about 3 minutes, not impressed. West is doing one of the longest opening statements I've heard in years. He's actually trying the case with the opening left right now.

Oh, and at some point, the evidence may even be presented, time allowing
I was very impressed with the State's opening, and if they can present evidence to back up everything that was said, it seems like they have a really good case. The State's opening lasted about 30 minutes I think.

West's opening sounds more like a closing to me. Yes, I agree, he certainly seems to be "trying the case" in opening, and surely the jury will not remember whether or not the defense presents actual evidence to back up everything he "argued" in opening, which will be good for the defense.

Based on what you've heard so far, do you think they're going to put Zimmerman on the stand?

Old 06-24-2013, 11:55 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,830,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Oh, so cursing now makes him a very bad person and guilty..... I guess none of these jurors watch tv, movies, listen to music, etc....our world is filled with foul mouthed people. Doesnt make them guilty of a crime.

And perhaps they shouldve been allowed to see the real Trayvon then. The one who had pictures of a gun, showed gang signs, etc. But no, you wouldnt want that to be allowed in the trial
Zimmerman used those expletives to describe Martin. This demonstrates Zimmerman's state of mind as he was in pursuit of a teen simply walking home.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:56 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,471,721 times
West's main point so far is that when the shot was fired Martin was on top of Zimmerman. I don't disagree and doubt that the prosecution would disagree.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:56 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,678,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
What he is saying in opening is not presenting facts. Guess you're unfamiliar with the Jury instructions (which the Judge gave to this jury prior to the attorneys starting their opening statements this a.m.)that specifically tells the jury that THE THINGS SAID BY THE ATTORNEYS IN OPENING ARE NOT FACTS, and should not be considered as facts.
Wrong, as usual. Evidence and facts are presented to be later verified and corroborated by witnesses and experts. They don't babble about the weather and/or the price of beans in China.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:57 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,399,115 times
Putting Zimmerman on the stand would open the case up. It would allow cross-examination that I don't think the defense wants to happen. Although I think GZ is a very credible and calm witness, I still think it's not advisable. West is pretty much giving the jury every good and thoughtful opinion he thinks they'll ever need to know about GZ

I know nobody else paid attention to me, but I suspect that the defense has been stalking my comments online LOL Almost step by step, darn them

Old 06-24-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
This had me wondering also. Maybe I just watch too much TV court drama. Hopefully West will summarize and make a point after the break.
It's just my opinion, but I think this opening statement is a sort of smoke screening tactic, which is why it's taking so long, and why he seems to be stumbling over things, and just rambling along. As Sun pointed out, he is making points from time to time but they are sort of buried in all the other "good old boy country lawyer" style he's using. I've watched a lot of real life trials, and lawyers do use a smoke screen strategy when they don't have much of a real defense; it sometimes works for them.

I have an appointment at 3:30 so I probably will miss some of the first witnesses unless West continues on in the same manner for a few more hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies