Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2013, 08:46 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Not just inner city minority youth either. Try rural youth and all kinds of youth.
I went to a rural high school. Literally 3 miles outside of the nearest town. The test scores from my class were on par with the private schools in my state. Almost every student that didn't stay to work on the family farm or take over the family business went to college. Today my friends from that little school are doctors, programmers, bankers, biologists, pharmacists, nurses, etc.

Location doesn't matter. Poorly educated students are a result of poverty and parents who don't care about their kids' education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 08:47 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,824,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Sounds like THAT person has failed to apply themselves......sounds like the PARENTS do not really give a **** about their kids education. If that student wants to be a doctor....wow, I hope she does not succeed!

Enough with the BS guilt-trip.....some kids don't care about a formal education.....they can be janitors or fast-food workers.
That is just an ignorant, nasty attitude to have. Not every kid gets the help they need in these subjects. I didn't catch up in math until I was in college and happened to have a good professor who helped me. Without her, I would still have never caught up. I hope like hell you're not a parent or a teacher.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:51 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,162,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
In my state so much of the IT work that has been outsourced to (often incompetent) H1B visa holders from India could be done by good ol' American kids from the inner city to the 'burbs.
That's a big problem around here. Yes, I hear that they are educated but I also know they will work at half the price of some US kid out of college.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:54 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,019,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
That's a big problem around here. Yes, I hear that they are educated but I also know they will work at half the price of some US kid out of college.
Most of those easy IT jobs don't require college degrees. However, no kid who just paid thousands upon thousands of dollars wants to work in these jobs. Self licking ice cream cone in a way.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:57 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
I knew all that stuff by the 9th grade but I could not force myself to read "Pride and Prejudice" when a science or technology text or a Robert Heinlein SF book was available.

Obviously this kid was never encouraged to think or question but just bore herself to tears with rote learning. She also never discovered a reason to bother. Her folks were poor, her neighbors were poor and every kid in school was poor so why bother working? The only thing she would get out of learning would be estrangement from family, friends and most of the teachers. Discouragement is a contagious disease that results in a universal "why bother" attitude.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:03 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,227,341 times
For what it's worth:

I used to teach graduate students (M.A. & Ph.D.) at one of the nations most prestigious private universities and I was often very disappointed with students. Their general knowledge was appalling and some clearly lacked exposure to adaptive reasoning and studying skills.

Presumably, most of these students are privileged and had life-long access to education. Still, the work put forth by these students was often very, very poor.

On occasion, I would also teach undergraduates at the nation's premier school for criminal justice - and found this to be an even more sobering experience.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:13 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,639,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Yes, they work for less money and don't rock the boat. Problem is, so many of them are incompetent (with bullcrap "degrees" from schools that don't exist - I've seen their resumes) that the quality of work suffers and projects are greatly impacted as a result.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:21 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,940,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Sounds like THAT person has failed to apply themselves......sounds like the PARENTS do not really give a **** about their kids education. If that student wants to be a doctor....wow, I hope she does not succeed!

Enough with the BS guilt-trip.....some kids don't care about a formal education.....they can be janitors or fast-food workers.
So all your children were proficient in Physics in highschool and were doctor material?

Old 06-25-2013, 09:31 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,183,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Not just inner city minority youth either. Try rural youth and all kinds of youth.

We spend more money by far on "education" but much of it's just a big waste.

One teacher here told me that out of 20 kids in 9th grade geography, only 4 kids were at all prepared, most had no clue how many states there are or could locate many of them.
Bingo.

I live in an affluent area in an affluent school district, and we have the same problem. This is far from being an inner city problem. It's a nationwide problem.

Kids will instinctively do only what's necessary to pass, and nothing more. Most kids aren't naturally ambitious when it comes to school...and without guidance, they don't realize that you'll need certain classes if you wanna prep yourself for college.

We can lay the blame at the feet of the parents, but lets be truthful...how many parents out there actually KNOW what their kids should be taking, and it's all the more worse with lower income families. Most parents just figure that as long as their kids are passing, they'll be ok. They don't get the full picture about what's needed.

This is where having good guidance counselors come in handy, and unfortunately, many districts here in Arizona have slashed those positions out of the schools. We used to have a counselor for each grade back in my day.

Many of these kids are on their own and can't figure out what they should be doing.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:32 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,730,895 times
I think modern technology is going to make public school more and more obsolete. Home schooling didn't used to have the resources to be highly successful. That is no longer the case. Why send your kids into a system that fails so often and so spectacularly? Amateurs -- parents homeschooling their kids -- are more successful at educating their children and their kids end better off in social development.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies