Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2013, 01:11 PM

28,226 posts, read 37,012,837 times

Advertisements

OP: you have now uncovered which questions are not on the standardized tests. So apparently it is unnecessary to learn about these things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 01:27 PM

107 posts, read 205,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
I work in the IT field...and I can attest this same phenomenon holds true in both of the states I have lived (NJ and NC).

Much of the IT jobs are handed to Indians with work visas. And many absolutely are incompetent. I've met some really nice people but just whoa...Our newest hire has been driving a car with no license plates for two weeks. When he received his paperwork to go pick up his access card for the data center he is working in, he had no idea what to do. The instructions explicitly state that he has to go to the regional corporate office and ask for his POC.

I just don't get it.
I agree as well, it is sick if you ask me, I just returned to a big corp out of the Carolinas I have worked for on and off through the years. I just returned recently and they are literally filled with 80 percent incompetent Indians now and it is insane and I have seen this at many other companies as well. While I can attest some of them are book /test smart not many of them are not common sense logic /hands on smart. I would rather take my chances on an American kid and training them.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:49 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,605,190 times
I grew up in inner-city Brooklyn and am not surprised what you witnessed, I am surprised it is not brought up more on this board. When you have a school system that does not care about these kids and parents who do not value their children's education you have a recipe for failure. Everyone is to blame, parents, teachers, the school system and their are students, no matter how much is given to them simply do not want to learn.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:17 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,637,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
Wrong-America has failed this child. Parents, community schools are what form America. Not to mention the DOE.
Does every student learn at the same rate? Is it even reasonable to expect that all entering seniors have taken the same classes? The problem here is we don't know why this student doesn't know algebra and chemistry. Does she lack the innate ability? Did she choose not to take the classes? Or did she have poor teachers who didn't teach their subjects well? Does she spend her evenings taking care of younger brothers and sisters instead of doing homework so her parents can work? Or does she party in her spare time?

All we know is this student doesn't know algebra or chemistry. We really can't conclude much from that because not everyone is cut out for algebra and chemistry and not everyone who can handle the subjects wants to take them.

The sad thing about education today is we are pretending every student is the same when they are not.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliciano View Post
I grew up in inner-city Brooklyn and am not surprised what you witnessed, I am surprised it is not brought up more on this board. When you have a school system that does not care about these kids and parents who do not value their children's education you have a recipe for failure. Everyone is to blame, parents, teachers, the school system and their are students, no matter how much is given to them simply do not want to learn.
IMO, the key is to identify what the student does want to learn. Making them take classes like algebra and chemistry that they do not want to take does no one any favors. Whether or not the school system failed this particular child depends on this child's abilities and aspirations. If they don't include the ability to do algebra or chemistry, the failure may be not putting her into a voc ed program that would give her some employment skills. We don't know where the failure is with the information that has been presented.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
I work in the IT field...and I can attest this same phenomenon holds true in both of the states I have lived (NJ and NC).

Much of the IT jobs are handed to Indians with work visas. And many absolutely are incompetent. I've met some really nice people but just whoa...Our newest hire has been driving a car with no license plates for two weeks. When he received his paperwork to go pick up his access card for the data center he is working in, he had no idea what to do. The instructions explicitly state that he has to go to the regional corporate office and ask for his POC.

I just don't get it.

Human Resource Executive Online | Is America's STEM Pipeline Just Clogged?&

"Key findings include:
  • Guest workers may be filling as many as half of all new IT jobs each year.
  • IT workers earn the same today as they did, generally, 14 years ago.
  • Currently, only one of every two STEM college graduates is hired into a STEM job each year.
  • Policies that expand the supply of guest workers will discourage U.S. students from going into STEM, and into IT in particular."

Old 06-26-2013, 02:44 PM

107 posts, read 205,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Does every student learn at the same rate? Is it even reasonable to expect that all entering seniors have taken the same classes? The problem here is we don't know why this student doesn't know algebra and chemistry. Does she lack the innate ability? Did she choose not to take the classes? Or did she have poor teachers who didn't teach their subjects well? Does she spend her evenings taking care of younger brothers and sisters instead of doing homework so her parents can work? Or does she party in her spare time?

All we know is this student doesn't know algebra or chemistry. We really can't conclude much from that because not everyone is cut out for algebra and chemistry and not everyone who can handle the subjects wants to take them.

The sad thing about education today is we are pretending every student is the same when they are not.
I agree, I also would like to add that inner city kids at this age are working to help support a parent household. Some are even taking on full responsibilities of their younger siblings while the parent is at work which include feeding them, putting them to bed and dressing them. Until OP knows the full background of this kid it is hard to judge the kid.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt0001 View Post
I agree, I also would like to add that inner city kids at this age are working to help support a parent household. Some are even taking on full responsibilities of their younger siblings while the parent is at work which include feeding them, putting them to bed and dressing them. Until OP knows the full background of this kid it is hard to judge the kid.
Or her teachers...

Old 06-26-2013, 03:56 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,573,241 times
That this thread continues beyond an answer to the question 'What is her IQ' demonstrates a huge denial of reality.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:03 PM

28,226 posts, read 37,012,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
IMO, the key is to identify what the student does want to learn. Making them take classes like algebra and chemistry that they do not want to take does no one any favors. Whether or not the school system failed this particular child depends on this child's abilities and aspirations. If they don't include the ability to do algebra or chemistry, the failure may be not putting her into a voc ed program that would give her some employment skills. We don't know where the failure is with the information that has been presented.
Hmm. Not sure this was actually in her control. I had some experiences in school where is my teachers had chosen, I would have been put in a very different path.... And those teachers were wrong. Lucky for me I had involved parents and good teachers. I did run into some teachers and administrators along the way that did have unfounded bias.

The path to physics starts far before students can make their own choices.

On an autocorrecting iDevice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies