Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 10:04 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,777,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Maybe you don't know it, but it's about the National College Entrance Examination of China.
Universities in China look at the scores ONLY, for admissions. No beautiful resumes, no piano/sports skills are considered.

Cheating in the exams happens every year, and sometimes the exam papers were stolen. The penalty is heavy too: sometimes the scores of the whole city were cancelled and all students had to try next year. Those who stole the exam papers were put in prison for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 10:07 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,344,191 times
It's a cultural thing here. I've heard educators complain about Asian children, especially ones of Chinese or Korean parents, cheating constantly. I've also heard about shocking cheating at the university level including paying people to take your exams and write your papers. Some even farm out their thesis or dissertation writing to other people. Asians are of course not the only ethnicity doing this, but it does seem to occur more frequently among them.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:41 AM

1,999 posts, read 2,476,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Quote:
The relatively small city of Zhongxiang in Hubei province has always performed suspiciously well in China's notoriously tough "gaokao" exams, each year winning a disproportionate number of places at the country's elite universities.
Quote:
Last year, the city received a slap on the wrist from the province's Education department after it discovered 99 identical papers in one subject.
Quote:
According to the protesters, cheating is endemic in China, so being forced to sit the exams without help put their children at a disadvantage.
Wow.

I just feel all the more better about UW-Milwaukee now. While it accepts something like 70% or more of its applicants, and it's ranked a 4th tier university by Newsweek or whoever it is that hands out those rankings, if 2 students handed in the same paper there would be academic hell to pay. You'd be kicked out the class and receive a grade of F. You might be kicked out the university.

I had one professor that took plagiarism so seriously, before we could begin accessing our online quizzes, or online instructions for our writing assignments (this was not an "online class"), we had to read through some other state's university essay on what plagiarism is, and pass an online quiz on it after reading the thing. And it came with a bunch of links. Like one link on a huge essay written by some lawyer that defended a university against an ex-student's lawsuit after the university kicked him out for plagiarism.

Quotation marks with no citation/attribution would get you kicked out the course by this professor and charged with plagiarism and an automatic grade of F. No excuse will be tolerated he said.

Then you have Harvard University. They reject something like 95% of their applicants. But anyone that gets in today is pretty much guarantee an A in all its liberal arts courses so long as the student does his or her's assignments. Contra UW-Milwaukee where no such grade is guaranteed in its liberal arts courses even if you do the work, submitting your papers on time.

But U.S. Presidents only come from elite universities like Harvard.

Nice to see China is playing the same matrix game.

Matrix - The pill - YouTube

Old 06-25-2013, 10:48 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,481,862 times
lol. Everyone that has gotten a degree in Engineering have known this for years.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:49 AM

1,999 posts, read 2,476,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Chinese culture is and always has been Darwinism in action. It does not take prisioners or suffer the stupid or fools. There is only sucess. There are no rules and no concept of fair.
Really? I've read a bit about how China was before it's communist revolution. I think what I read was authored by a U.S. Marine officer.

Anyways... I can see why communism swept through the country winning so many devotees. Most Chinese were essentially rural coolies. They were worse off in many cases than Black-American sharecroppers during and after Reconstruction era.

Basically, just about everyone was poor, and a handful were rich, and the rich were selling their nation and their people out to foreign investors, some of whom were from the West.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:57 AM

7,324 posts, read 6,944,882 times
They sound like liberals .
Cheating is fair ?
How in the whole world is cheating, fair ?
Every one else has to play by the rules but me/us ?
Sounds like the last 2 US elections ,doesn't it?

Old 06-25-2013, 11:08 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,777,268 times
I took the "gaokao" (College Entrance Exam) in China too. I had to score top 0.1% in my province to go to my dream school, because there were 120,000 students and my dream university only accepted 40.
It means I could not make any major mistake on any of the 5 subjects (Chinese, English, math, physics, chemistry). Failing on either one would destroy my dream.

The pressure was beyond imagination. I did not do well on Chinese (top 6% in my province), but my English score was very good (top 0.1% or something) and the combined score was indeed top 0.1%. Usually the percentile of the combined score is better than the individual scores', because few people are perfect at everything.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:15 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,256,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
They sound like liberals .
Cheating is fair ?
How in the whole world is cheating, fair ?
Every one else has to play by the rules but me/us ?
Sounds like the last 2 US elections ,doesn't it?
If students in all the other schools are allowed to cheat, but students in your school are not allowed to cheat, then it's not fair. By "allowed" I mean the school administrators do nothing to stop it.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:07 AM

13,585 posts, read 15,699,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
lol. Everyone that has gotten a degree in Engineering have known this for years.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:22 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,043,490 times
Kids cheating on a test. Never happened anywhere before..............lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies