Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2013, 06:08 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Infrastructure projects require Congressional approval. Just try to get another infrastructure project through the GOP House, where anything Obama wants is knee-jerk responded to with a "NO."

It's also important to read the linked article from an OP. The article said:

According to the U.S. Overseas Private Investment Corporation website, "Established as an agency of the U.S. Government in 1971, OPIC operates on a self-sustaining basis at no net cost to American taxpayers."

The Export-Import Bank of the United States:

So all those posters that are 8itching that Obama is 'spending tax-payer money,' are spewing mindless gibberish.
If the money is coming from the Export-Import Bank, then it is in fact NOT tax payer money. It is private sector money. Thanks for sharing. Sometimes people do not realize that development aid projects also help US companies who are involved in those projects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 06:09 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,956,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Sure it's [the Fed] independent,wink wink.
Can the President fire Board Members? NO. Does the Board have to adhere to the President's wishes? No.

That's the definition of independent.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:11 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,229,680 times
Quote:
Infrastructure projects require Congressional approval. Just try to get another infrastructure project through the GOP House, where anything Obama wants is knee-jerk responded to with a "NO."

According to the U.S. Overseas Private Investment Corporation website, "Established as an agency of the U.S. Government in 1971, OPIC operates on a self-sustaining basis at no net cost to American taxpayers."

So all those posters that are 8itching that Obama is 'spending tax-payer money,' are spewing mindless gibberish.
Fair enough, however when it comes to spending bills what is attached to the bills that result in the NO answer?
The GOP won the house on a platform to cut spending. Spending on infrastructure is needed, perhaps it is the pork that is attached that kills the bills.
Look at the pork Senate attached to the so called immigration reform bill, the defense budget etc.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
If the money is coming from the Export-Import Bank, then it is in fact NOT tax payer money. Thanks for sharing.
It's really funny to read 8 pages of blather from people complaining about Obama spend taxpayer money when they don't even bother to read the linked article that disproves their beliefs.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:14 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,765,333 times
Quote:

So he gets to decide where private funds go too?

Old 07-01-2013, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Fair enough, however when it comes to spending bills what is attached to the bills that result in the NO answer?
The GOP won the house on a platform to cut spending. Spending on infrastructure is needed, perhaps it is the pork that is attached that kills the bills.
Look at the pork Senate attached to the so called immigration reform bill, the defense budget etc.
Excuse me, the GOP won the House in 2010 on the lie that ObamaCare was death panels. Since 2010, the GOP has been busy redistricting Congressional districts. Republicans actually got view popular votes than Democrats in 2012.

On the assertion that the House just doesn't like what's in the Obama bills, in 2010 after Obama said is was in favor of the Bipartisan deficit-reduction commission, Republicans, many of whom co-sponsored the bill, voted against it.

I don't even have to get into ObamaCare, which is essentially a GOP idea from the 1990s.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
So he gets to decide where private funds go too?
Yes, that's what the statute does. Don't like it, change the law.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:25 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,229,680 times
Quote:
Excuse me, the GOP won the House in 2010 on the lie that ObamaCare was death panels. Since 2010, the GOP has been busy redistricting Congressional districts. Republicans actually got view popular votes than Democrats in 2012.

On the assertion that the House just doesn't like what's in the Obama bills, in 2010 after Obama said is was in favor of the Bipartisan deficit-reduction commission, Republicans, many of whom co-sponsored the bill, voted against it.

I don't even have to get into ObamaCare, which is essentially a GOP idea from the 1990s.
The platform was on cutting spending and waste.
Billions wasted on needless pork.
Both parties are equally guilty, to deny this is foolish.
As we are finding out Obamacare is already costing more than was expected and will continue to do so.
Maybe they should have read the bill before passing it into law.
A lot of people don't like what is in Obama's bills. I don't like that the GOP refuses to compromise but they are not the only player playing that game either.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:27 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
It's really funny to read 8 pages of blather from people complaining about Obama spend taxpayer money when they don't even bother to read the linked article that disproves their beliefs.
This is what people SHOULD like about doing it this way: "OPIC has supported more than $200 billion of investment in over 4,000 projects, generated an estimated $75 billion in U.S. exports and supported more than 277,000 American jobs."

Old 07-01-2013, 06:28 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,216,945 times
You can thank Clinton and Carter for the disinvestment from Africa by US companies. When we lived in Zambia, then Northern Rhodesia, my dad only bought American cars as did his father and father in law, my grandfathers. Well it was Brit or American. Then came sanctions and the Germans took up the space after the British motor industry failed followed by the Japanese.

Not really understanding the dynamics of the culture here, the lot of the black folk was equated to the Jim Crow stuff back in the USA. It was not even close. Nowhere were blacks here lynched or mistreated. Sure we had our preference for separation but they were not left to fend for themselves in bush huts. The Whites built townships for them where they had their own schools and hospitals. I am not going to deny whites had a better deal but I never saw anything untoward until the commies started brainwashing them which led to insurrection and met with military riot rebuttals. It was the way the Brits dealt with stuff back then.

As a kid, I went to school with them for awhile and played with them. We were pretty much as kids blind to our race. Our house boy in Zambia had his kids living in in what we called a kyai and this was a brick building w/o power but with water. He cooked on an open fire as was their tradition.

Later in Rhodesia, we had a gang of youngsters that played cricket and soccer together and apart from retiring to different areas we were allowed to stay in, we were pretty much "equals" Our schools were separate but followed the same curriculum and sat the same exams from the Brits. Once I started college, we were integrated and it was not an "issue". We studied together, chatted at break times and then the only differentiating factor was, we whites did frequent military duty which they were excused from.

By the time we qualified, we had to compete for available postings or enter the private sector as equals. You see we were well on our way to developing a plural society. By this time, traditionally white areas were being opened up to all races and had we not had the international pressure to change rapidly, we would have gone on to sort out the political stuff too.

The sudden forced change got the twit Mugabe in charge and we all know what a stellar job he did with what was once the bread basket of Southern Africa.

By the time I came to SA in 81, the political landscape was already changing. In 81 they voted for Coloureds and Indians to find representation and the blacks already had home lands (traditionally theirs) and were autonomous and independent to a degree. Much infrastructure development went into these home lands and heavily subsidised by the SA govt. Again, this was in due process of changing. Unfortunately, we were fighting the commies on your behalf in Namibia and Angola. Namibia got its independence and I have no idea how good or bad it is there. Of course DeBeers had huge diamond interests there so no guessing why SA held onto it so long.

By the mid 90s to early 00s, Zim was no longer conducive to a future. The next generation (mine) all left for greener pastures in AUS and NZ and all over the world. That was a massive brain drain and left a huge vacuum. What we have here in reality is a the second diaspora of black Zimbabweans leaving for greener pastures too. Even for them that have an education, there is ZERO hope for their offspring.

The same happened/is happening here now in SA except to get into AUS, NZ or say Canada it is now difficult, it is a little too late for me. I was overly optimistic it would not be the same here in SA but sadly, it is rapidly going the same way.

Now my main mission is to get my kids out of the country before they start families.

Unfortunately as our currency looses value daily, getting out on your assets alone is becoming less of an option. All my forward planning has amounted to nought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies