Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2014, 08:49 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,749,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Sanity still reigns among the populace. Majorities from all parties and indies all agree that Snowden is a traitor and should face trial for his misdeeds. I think that P&OC is one of the few places where this scumball is still seen favorably.
Idiots abound. Snowden is a national hero. He should be awarded a hero welcome home for exposing the illegal activities of our government.

If you support the illegal activities of our government, you are a traitor and should be executed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 08:51 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,749,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
He should be tried, convicted and summarily executed.
He should be praised for his patriotic efforts so expose illegal government activity and elevated to a status equal to Washington and Jefferson.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:53 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,230,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
He should be praised for his patriotic efforts so expose illegal government activity and elevated to a status equal to Washington and Jefferson.
He should be tried, convicted and executed. But maybe he will be offed in Russia.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:57 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,133,586 times
Snowden leaked foreign policy info which was unnecessary and what seemed to have been done out of spite as opposed to anything noble or helpful to the American people. If he had just released the spying on American stuff and stayed to fight what he perceived as the good fight, instead of running like a chicken **** to seek asylum in nations with not exactly stellar human rights policies and massive invasion of privacy stances, he would have garnered a bit more credibility. He deserves to live out his life in Russia...I'm sure he has all the privacy and rights that he is so fond of defending there.

Last edited by sickofnyc; 01-22-2014 at 10:24 PM..

Old 01-22-2014, 10:35 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,133,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Fingers View Post
Just for my own edification:

1. Do all the people who think Snowden is a traitor actually like their private lives to be exposed to the government?
2. Do they all actually enjoy living in a society where every action is under constant surveillance?
3. Do they like the fact that said surveillance was being done secretly?
4. Do they think that Snowden would have actually had a fair day in court had he gone through the "proper channels"? Would we even have heard of him, or the surveillance?
5. Do they believe that being constant watched is characteristic of a "land of the free"

Please help me understand.
This guy sums it up...

Quote:
Snowden was able to claim the moral high ground when spilling out the inner workings and policies of the US and UK security services to the world. Revealing how the state spies on its own citizens, without their knowledge or acquiescence, can be considered laudable but he lost the right to be called a whistleblower when he fled to negotiate first with the Chinese and then the Russians about political asylum and then it was revealed that he had taken with him the whole security shooting match.

Whistleblowers stand up and are counted; Snowden crawled out and ran away.

Snowden justified his actions saying: “I don't want to live in a society that does these sort of things [surveillance on its citizens]... I do not want to live in a world where everything I do and say is recorded... My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them.â€

Presumably that is why he is now living in Russia, that Mecca of human rights.

Why Edward Snowden is not a patriot, whistleblower or hero - but a spy | The Drum

Old 01-22-2014, 10:50 PM

520 posts, read 597,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Not sure that sums it up at all.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:52 PM

520 posts, read 597,403 times
Quote:
Uh, no one in the US is being spied on. Stop letting your paranoia show though.

And you know this....how?

Old 01-22-2014, 11:14 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,507,739 times
Quote:
Just for my own edification:

1. Do all the people who think Snowden is a traitor actually like their private lives to be exposed to the government?
My private life isn't exposed to the government.

Quote:
2. Do they all actually enjoy living in a society where every action is under constant surveillance?
Every action is not under constant surveillance, they don't have the time to spy on every single American.

Quote:
3. Do they like the fact that said surveillance was being done secretly?
This was not done secretly,
articles from 2005... don't remember a huge outrage back then.
CNN.com - House approves renewal of Patriot Act - Jul 22, 2005

CNN.com - Bush*says he signed NSA wiretap order - Dec 17, 2005

Quote:
4. Do they think that Snowden would have actually had a fair day in court had he gone through the "proper channels"? Would we even have heard of him, or the surveillance?
Of course, we knew about this the week he released all this information.

Quote:
5. Do they believe that being constant watched is characteristic of a "land of the free"

Please help me understand.
Again, we are not.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:21 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
He is basically a young man who can never return home. In that way he is much like the child rapist; has to be protected in prison from other prisoners who have their own code.He really needs to worry about his future in Russia who in time might just betray him as they often do.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:31 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,479,858 times
Quote:
Uh, no one in the US is being spied on. Stop letting your paranoia show though.

Snowden needs to be tried, convicted and executed.
Frankly, I would be surprised if we were not. With that said, I have mixed thoughts on whether Snowden is a whistleblower/patriot or a spy/traitor.

[he is definitely polarizing]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies