Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 09:39 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,427,366 times

Advertisements

Cash For Clunkers was an even bigger tax!

Old 07-06-2013, 09:40 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,878,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I built a Jeep about 10 years ago. I took it for inspection and it failed emissions. Why? I didn't install the pollution control pump that the jeep had when it was originally built. The joke is that the pump pumped air into the exhaust to meet a parts per million requirement. The pump did nothing to reduce pollution. It was to honor funny numbers. What it does do is rob horse power and efficiency. In other words use more gas.
actually the air pump takes very little power to operate, and it only operates under certain circumstances, the rest of the time it is freewheeling and not using any power at all.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:40 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,002,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Perhaps you should cut back on the hallucinogens?
Perhaps you need to wake up?

Old 07-06-2013, 09:42 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,052,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
As I was taking my daughters car through NJ State inspection, I saw three older cars fail for emissions. You have 14 days to make the necessary repairs, which when dealing with emissions can cost big bucks.

People with the means can easily afford to have the repairs made without hardship....poor people, not so much.

One of the three was a black woman, who most likely voted for these lefties who put the environmental laws into effect. She was very angry.....screaming that she doesn't have the money to fix her car.

Enjoy!
We only have vehicle emissions inspection in the big cities in my state. Otherwise, there is no inspection. Send a message by leaving these oppressive liberal states.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:45 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,768,529 times
Environmentalist need to practice what they preach. Do they all have battery operated cars, read by candle light, cook over a fire?

Old 07-06-2013, 09:46 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,237,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
actually the air pump takes very little power to operate, and it only operates under certain circumstances, the rest of the time it is freewheeling and not using any power at all.
And it does nothing to make cleaner air. It is a scam. And it does rob horse power. Anything that uses a belt robs horse power, even if it is only a small amount.
What is hilarious is that I mounted the pump as required but never hooked the belt up. It passed inspection.... What a scam.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:52 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,080,649 times
Quote:
One of the three was a black woman, who most likely voted for these lefties who put the environmental laws into effect. She was very angry.....screaming that she doesn't have the money to fix her car.
I have an idea that I am sure you will support, a Federal subsidy so poor people can get their cars through inspection. Just think of all the threads that you could start by complaining about how you saw a poor black woman in a nice looking used Lexus (15 years old but nicely kept) and how she is ripping off the government because she gets her car fixed for free. Wouldn't that be fun.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:53 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,878,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
And it does nothing to make cleaner air. It is a scam. And it does rob horse power. Anything that uses a belt robs horse power, even if it is only a small amount.
What is hilarious is that I mounted the pump as required but never hooked the belt up. It passed inspection.... What a scam.
yeah it takes about 2 1/2 hp to run the pump. big deal. as far as not making the air cleaner, that is false. what the air pump does is inject air into the exhaust early to support continued combustion of the unburnt fuel in the exhaust. as you might know, when gasoline is fully combusted, you get water and carbon dioxide. this is what both the catalytic converter, and the air pump are designed to do, and that is fully burn the fuel that was drawn into the cylinders on the intake stroke. if you passed emission with the pump on but the belt not installed, then your tech was either blind or an idiot.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:56 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,171,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
We only have vehicle emissions inspection in the big cities in my state. Otherwise, there is no inspection. Send a message by leaving these oppressive liberal states.
Tennessee is a liberal state?

Old 07-06-2013, 09:59 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,665,887 times
Quote:
As I was taking my daughters car through NJ State inspection, I saw three older cars fail for emissions. You have 14 days to make the necessary repairs, which when dealing with emissions can cost big bucks.

People with the means can easily afford to have the repairs made without hardship....poor people, not so much.

Enjoy!

Hillbillies crack me up.
George Bush was in office when this was first enacted, Obama was in office when NJ's emission standards loosened considerably in 2010.
Why would you post about something you know absolutely nothing about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies