Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2013, 07:18 PM

17,418 posts, read 14,650,567 times

Advertisements

You know, I've said no one has had the balls to ask TM's parents some hard questions - and except for her exclaiming every 2 seconds about "well, when my fiance was murdered ..." Nancy Grace has asked some good, albeit very theatrical, questions.

Like Sybrina says she didn't know a lot of the facts about what happened until the trial.

NG says "what facts?"

Sybrina stammers away and says "uh, all the 911 calls."

Um, all those 911 calls were VERY public. So I don't know what she was talking about. Maybe GZ's injuries? TM's pot use? The phrase "creepy ass cracker"?

And she also said when Tracy called her that Monday morning to say Trayvon hadn't come home that night, she wasn't really concerned. She quickly recovered and got the narrative back on track though.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:19 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
What's important is what can we now do to avoid this type of tragedy in the future?

I would support changing the "stand-your-ground" laws because I think Zimmerman was emboldened by them, and because the stand-your-ground law was in the jury instructions, and B37 quoted them as a reason she acquitted Zimmerman.
The way to prevent such tragedies in the future is for people who are walking home to do just that, and not assault people walking on the same side of the street as them at the same time and bash their heads into concrete.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:19 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,912,262 times
Quote:
No one deserves to die over a jet-ski or car. Human life is worth more than stupid possessions, which are covered by insurance anyway. If you want to argue that possessions are worth more than human life, go right ahead.
A human life that would initiate aggression towards me for protecting possessions I have earned with my blood and sweat is not worth anything and deserves to be wiped out by natural selection.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:20 PM

3,846 posts, read 2,385,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
I would tell my boys regardless of color, that if you are being followed AND if you have the opportunity (in this case four minutes) to escape and are within sight of your house; run or walk to your house. Go to safety. It is not unmanly to retreat. It is wise.
What would you tell your boys to do were they to be confronted face to face with a creep?

Old 07-19-2013, 07:22 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Human life is worth more than stupid possessions, which are covered by insurance anyway.
True, which is why Trayvon Martin should have gone home instead of assaulting someone who might have stolen his phone, iced tea, and candy.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:22 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
A human life that would initiate aggression towards me for protecting possessions I have earned with my blood and sweat is not worth anything and deserves to be wiped out by natural selection.
In the cases I cited, the thieves were not threatening the owners of those possessions. The homeowners weren't outside standing guard over their car or jetski. They left their homes to pursue the thieves and shoot them to death. That's wrong. The law that allows them to do that is wrong.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:28 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,912,262 times
Quote:
In the cases I cited, the thieves were not threatening the owners of those possessions. The homeowners weren't outside standing guard over their car or jetski. They left their homes to pursue the thieves and shoot them to death. That's wrong. The law that allows them to do that is wrong.
Well I certainly don't agree with that per se. But to argue under the illusion that every life is precious is wrong. Sometimes you have to leave the roadkill on the side of the road for nature to clean up. You cannot rehabilitate everything.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:37 PM

998 posts, read 1,215,530 times
Quote:
Trayvon was defending himself against an armed aggressor.
The aggressor is the person who swung first. Rachel Jeantel, George Zimmerman, Chief Medical Examiner Dr. Valerie Rao, Medical Examiner Shiping Bao, & forensic pathologist Vincent DiMaio all say Trayvon Martin threw the first punch & was the aggressor. John Good also said Trayvon Martin was the aggressor.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
True, which is why Trayvon Martin should have gone home instead of assaulting someone who might have stolen his phone, iced tea, and candy.
...or abducted him, or raped him, or killed him.... Gee, what a goofball for thinking any of those things might happen to him despite the fact that one of them did.

I don't know why you expect Trayvon to have had the good judgment, maturity, and the decision-making abilities of an adult. He was a teenage male a few weeks beyond his sixteenth year of life, not exactly a bastion of maturity. Yet, somehow according to all of you, he shouldn't have been spooked, he shouldn't have reacted to being followed, he should have known exactly what to do at all times.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazeeKrewe View Post
The aggressor is the person who swung first. Rachel Jeantel, George Zimmerman, Chief Medical Examiner Dr. Valerie Rao, Medical Examiner Shiping Bao, & forensic pathologist Vincent DiMaio all say Trayvon Martin threw the first punch & was the aggressor. John Good also said Trayvon Martin was the aggressor.
So if you are ever followed around in the dark by an armed stranger, just remind yourself he's not the aggressor. You are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies