Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 09:44 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
It was raining. Instead of moving quickly to get out the rainlike most would, he was linguiring back and forth.....
This is a free country. Don't tell me what I can and can't do unless I'm breaking the law.

Mind your own damn business.

6,476 posts, read 7,323,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Did you know that the judge ruled that the prosecution wasn't allowed to say the words, "racial profiling" during the trial?

The prosecution wanted two of these six jurors to not be on the jury, and the judge ruled against them. I'm sure that one of them was B37.
The rules for challenging jurors applies equally to both sides.

How are you "sure"?

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
You wanna follow his footsteps, go right ahead. The person you profile may be armed and blow your head off.
Unlike Trayvon, I won't be beating on someone.

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
Without bothering to read the OP's article, newsflash: Trayvon's parents failed him, first and foremost. As far as the specific incident which killed him, his common sense failed him.

How many more Trayvon threads we gonna have, for Christ's sake?

Old 07-16-2013, 09:45 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Please.

You mean unlike the coward Zimmerman who's a dead man if he ever shows his face in public.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:45 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,323,649 times
Quote:
It did according to the jury instructions, and the jury itself, so I don't know why you say that.

SYG wasn't used by Zimmerman as a defense, but B37 specifically mentioned it as one of the reasons the jury found Zimmerman not guilty. Watch the interview with Anderson Cooper.
Which was righteous since it's the law of the land in Florida.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:47 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Excellent post! Quoted for truth.

Quote:
A great article by Charles Blow in the NYTimes about how the legal system failed Trayvon Martin.

"The system began to fail Martin long before that night.

The system failed him when Florida’s self-defense laws were written, allowing an aggressor to claim self-defense in the middle of an altercation — and to use deadly force in that defense — with no culpability for his role in the events that led to that point.

The system failed him when the neighborhood watchman grafted on stereotypes the moment he saw him, ascribing motive and behavior and intent and criminal history to a boy who was just walking home.

The system failed him when the bullet ripped through his chest, and the man who shot him said he mounted him and stretched his arms out wide, preventing him from even clutching the spot that hurt.

The system failed him in those moments just after he was shot when he was surely aware that he was about to die, but before life’s light fully passed from his body — and no one came to comfort him or try to save him.

The system failed him when the slapdash Sanford police did a horrible job of collecting and preserving evidence.

The system failed him when those officers apparently didn’t even value his dead body enough to adequately canvass the complex to make sure that no one was missing a teen.

The system failed him when he was labeled a John Doe and his lifeless body spent the night alone and unclaimed.

The system failed him when the man who the police found standing over the body of a dead teenager, a man who admitted to shooting him and still had the weapon, was taken in for questioning and then allowed to walk out of the precinct without an arrest or even a charge, to go home after taking a life and take to his bed.

The system failed him when it took more than 40 days and an outpouring of national outrage to get an arrest.

The system failed him when a strangely homogenous jury — who may well have been Zimmerman’s peers but were certainly not the peers of the teenager, who was in effect being tried in absentia — was seated.

The system failed him when the prosecution put on a case for the Martin family that many court-watchers found wanting.

The system failed him when everyone in the courtroom raised racial bias in roundabout ways, but almost never directly. "

I agree, and I hope that Trayvon's death serves as a rallying call for change.

The question is: what can we as individuals do about this?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/16/op..._20130716&_r=0

Old 07-16-2013, 09:48 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
The rules for challenging jurors applies equally to both sides.

How are you "sure"?
Because even as a layperson it was clear to me from the description of her that she would be a biased juror. I posted that several times here on CD Forums. For one thing she had formerly had a concealed carry permit as did her husband. That puts her into a small minority of women, and says something about her point of view. Her husband is a lawyer and I didn't believe that she knew as little about the case as she claimed.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:48 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
You mean unlike the coward Zimmerman who's a dead man if he ever shows his face in public.
Especially if he moves to war zones like Chicago or Detroit.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:49 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Nope, but perhaps 'steering'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies