Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 05:27 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,936,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
They have been around for a long time, i don't drive a stolen car so i dont see the point in whining.
Well if they regulate it you can sign up for service.
Not everyone believes in open ended harvesting and profiting of their lives and their data.

This is from the article.
quote:
According to “You Are Being Tracked,” license plate readers are configured to store not just snap shots of nearby autos, but also the license plate number, the date, time and location. All of this data is then placed into a local database that can in many instances by shared with other regional systems across the country.
As a result,” reads the report, “these data are retained permanently and shared widely with few or no restrictions on how they can be used.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 05:33 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,422,794 times
Simple solution is to found a huge tech company like Apple, get massively rich, and then buy a new Mercedes every six months. I hear it works...

http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=14834608

Only poor people deserve to be spied on.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:14 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,510,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Well if they regulate it you can sign up for service.
Not everyone believes in open ended harvesting and profiting of their lives and their data.

This is from the article.
quote:
According to “You Are Being Tracked,” license plate readers are configured to store not just snap shots of nearby autos, but also the license plate number, the date, time and location. All of this data is then placed into a local database that can in many instances by shared with other regional systems across the country.
As a result,” reads the report, “these data are retained permanently and shared widely with few or no restrictions on how they can be used.”
How much damage are they doing to me personally by having my data stored in a computer?

Old 07-17-2013, 06:22 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
How much damage are they doing to me personally by having my data stored in a computer?
It's simply none of their business where you have been or what you are doing without some sort of reasonable suspicion that you are doing something wrong.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
I suppose that would be up to you to decide. As I said not everyone agrees with that sentiment. There seems to be no restriction on it. So if you are fine with being tracked and profited off of that is your prerogative.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It's simply none of their business where you have been or what you are doing without some sort of reasonable suspicion that you are doing something wrong.
Our highways are run by the Department of Transportation. part of the US Government.
I am traveling on their roads, they must not want criminals roaming around on their roads so they send out the Highway patrol.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Our highways are run by the Department of Transportation. part of the US Government.
I am traveling on their roads, they must not want criminals roaming around on their roads so they send out the Highway patrol.
I never argued that they can't take criminals off the road. Why do people always create these strawmen?

Old 07-17-2013, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I never argued that they can't take criminals off the road. Why do people always create these strawmen?
I'm saying they have the right to use these cameras because i am traveling on their highways.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:44 PM

Quote:
I'm saying they have the right to use these cameras because i am traveling on their highways.
Well here is to them catching you.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Where do you think the DOT got "their" money for "their" highway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies