Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 05:41 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's not her per say but the rest of Congress.
She has a tough road ahead of her and not many on her side.
That's why I compared her to Ron Paul.
I understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 05:42 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Huh?? How can that be when dear leader is working so hard to fix it all??

??? Do the math, most of the poverty will be experienced outside of his term of office.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:42 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoD Guy View Post
In my view, its easy to blame the current guy. Yes, they're all guilty of inaction.
But I think its also silly to blame just one guy for the bottom feeder mentality that's spreading in the US.
It all starts at home, bottom line. Set a good example for your kids, teach them the rewards of a hard day's work, even if they're starting out at $8 an hour. Make them understand if they acquire good work ethics now, it'll really pay off later.
What throws off today's youth is the fact they they see their peers on govt programs, take your pick, and living the easy life.
Not an Obama fan but I cannot honestly just blame him. This mindset has been evolving for many years and I think its just now that we're hitting a tipping point.
More people just giving up and gladly accepting welfare instead of applying themselves. As a kid, families didn't want to be identified with that. You were an outcast.
Now its considered almost normal to get some type of help.
What do you think it'll be like in another 20 years?
Damn scary is all I can come up with.
The stigma of it all has been removed.
You have college kids applying for food stamps now.
It's hip to get government help.

And the government is doing all they can to encourage it.
The posters in college about food stamps is not one of a mother and baby.

Universities encourage students to enroll in food stamp program | The Daily Caller
About 20,000 people sign up for food stamps every day, and college students across the country are the newest demographic being encouraged to enlist.

Portland State University devotes a page on its Web site to explaining the ease with which students can receive benefits, along with instructions on how to apply. The school says food stamps are not charity but rather a benefit all honest taxpaying citizens can afford.
Traditionally food stamps are for the working poor and single parents, but colleges are trying to make it as easy as possible for students to obtain federal assistance, no matter their socio-economic background.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I'd say what an idiot the Clintons are, except that I think we all know that they knew full well what was going to happen to many millions of Americans when they gave away the jobs.

Clinton signs China trade bill, - October 10, 2000

"Trade with China will not only extend our nation's unprecedented economic growth, it offers us a chance to help shape the future of the world's most prosperous nation and to reaffirm our own global leadership for peace and prosperity."
Thank you for the link. As I understand it, this Act made permanent the normal and unbiased trade relationship that prior to it, had been reviewed annually before it was approved.

"President Clinton closed years of political and economic debate Tuesday, and sealed a major achievement of his administration by signing a bill extending permanent, normal trade status to China.

Lawmakers from both sides of the aisle joined Clinton on the South Lawn of the White House to watch him sign the measure, dubbed the U.S.-China Relations Act of 2000. "

I thought you might enjoy this because it viewed the end of the annual debate as a bus. op for the U.S.

Clinton to Sign China Trade Bill - ABC News

Old 07-28-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
The war on poverty is a complete and utter fail. So you would be dumping that money into a different trash can. Actually that money wouldn't have been printed if oil wasn't being traded in US dollars anymore something sadaam was trying to do. Foreign policy isn't as simple as it all appears to be.

I think programs should sunset and/or be reviewed periodically, say every five or ten years. Welfare as we know it was a New Deal program intended for widows and their children, the vast majority of whom were born into married families.

Family structure changed but welfare didn't adapt to the change.

Old 07-28-2013, 06:01 PM

Quote:

This is determined at the state level. Not all states do.

Old 07-28-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I think most people will experience hard times during their life. Such is life. They are called "rainy days". What can you do except prepare for it?

Preparing for rainy days requires surplus resources. How well prepared do you expect a minimum wage worker to be?

Old 07-28-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:

Universities encourage students to enroll in food stamp program | The Daily Caller
About 20,000 people sign up for food stamps every day, and college students across the country are the newest demographic being encouraged to enlist.

Portland State University devotes a page on its Web site to explaining the ease with which students can receive benefits, along with instructions on how to apply. The school says food stamps are not charity but rather a benefit all honest taxpaying citizens can afford.
Traditionally food stamps are for the working poor and single parents, but colleges are trying to make it as easy as possible for students to obtain federal assistance, no matter their socio-economic background.

Where are the baby mama and the rug rats? Where is the equality of representation? Where is the truth in advertising and the transparency?

Old 07-28-2013, 06:12 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
This is determined at the state level. Not all states do.
The USDA was giving out bonuses to states for new signups for food stamps.
The USDA is the federal government.

Here's one example. Other states got bonus money as well from the USDA for increasing SNAP enrollments.
Oregon got a $5 million bonus for doing their share to eradicate food challenged households.
Oregon bragged that SNAP recipients in their state increased 60% from 2008-2011.
http://www.oregon.gov/DHS/news/2011n...-0928.pdf?ga=t

Old 07-28-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
The USDA was giving out bonuses to states for new signups for food stamps.
The USDA is the federal government.

Here's one example. Other states got bonus money as well from the USDA for increasing SNAP enrollments.
Oregon got a $5 million bonus for doing their share to eradicate food challenged households.
Oregon bragged that SNAP recipients in their state increased 60% from 2008-2011.
http://www.oregon.gov/DHS/news/2011n...-0928.pdf?ga=t

Then why were the soup kitchens in downtown Portland so busy during those years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies