Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2013, 04:18 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Neither party seems interested to force the break up of big banks.
We shall see how Elizabeth Warren's bill fares.
I think Warren will become the Democrat's version of Ron Paul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 04:18 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post

If you want to be a conservative, then live conservative, don't just talk about it.

Yet, if most people did so, the economy would likely collapse.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:20 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,977,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
New stats show that poverty is increasing for all americans, across all ethnic groups.

So much so, that 80% of people will have a period (at least 1 year) with joblessness and poverty.

Exclusive: 4 in 5 in US face near-poverty, no work - SFGate

This is very distressing, and really underscores the fact we need to find a permanent solution to eliminate, or reduce economic inequality. The problems of class mobility are especially heightened these days. And it doesn't matter what ethnic group you are in.
I just was this a few minutes ago and my mouth dropped open. I'd have to do some research to find how how the research was done on this. If the population sampling was small, large, random, etc. If they just drew on cities known for no jobs and down the tubes. A sampling across the U.S. could not produce this statistic.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
We rebounded from the Great Depression because we were still a country that was innovative, strong and were able to rebuild. I wouldn't call the Great Depression a "rainy day", nor would I call what may come "a rainy day". The Great Depression affected everyone, except for the few, and what may come will affect everyone, except the few.

Sadly, we don't have the innovation nor the means to rebuild. What we had was given away. What would the foundation America could rebuild on? Unless there is a huge turnaround, there is nothing. Poverty will be the standard so a rainy day wouldn't mean anything - it will be just another day.

Innovation is derived from risk taking. If one wants a sure thing, innovation dies.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Yeah, I was near poverty....right outta high school when I got my first apartment and my crappy paying job. They actually were the best years of my life. It was all my choice and I blame no one for it.
I too lived in official poverty, right after high school. I had no clue I was doing so.

Most of the entry level jobs baby boomers took out of high school, back then, have long been obsolete due to technology.

Half the jobs I had prior to a BA, that have not become obsolete, now require a BA.

Heck, corporate America sometimes now requires a BA in Criminal Justice to be considered for a job as a $12.hr. Security Guard.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:37 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,507,739 times
Poverty poverty or First world poverty?

Old 07-28-2013, 04:43 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Definitely first world poverty. It's about the US. We have a different definition of poverty here.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
No, we didnt. We were in a state of economic growth for 4 years before the war started.
The WPA Program employed millions, mostly unskilled men, prior to WW2.
The impact of the Dust Bowl and human displacement continued to take a huge toll.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:50 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,744,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
New stats show that poverty is increasing for all americans, across all ethnic groups.

So much so, that 80% of people will have a period (at least 1 year) with joblessness and poverty.

Exclusive: 4 in 5 in US face near-poverty, no work - SFGate

This is very distressing, and really underscores the fact we need to find a permanent solution to eliminate, or reduce economic inequality. The problems of class mobility are especially heightened these days. And it doesn't matter what ethnic group you are in.
let me guess, by make us all poor right? funny how your policies always create more economic inequality..

Old 07-28-2013, 04:51 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Yes, huge huge difference. First world poverty means you have refrigerated air conditioning in the summer, and plenty of heat in the winter, you have a nice cell phone, a big television, your kids play video games, you can even eat your meals out in restaurants with your food stamp card, you are likely obese because you have more than plenty to eat and can even buy your clothes at the mall. Most likely your kids have new clothes and aren't any more likely to wear hand-me-downs than middle class kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies