Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 05:11 PM

1,466 posts, read 1,229,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
you quoted something about snopes again, and I replied that liberal mouthpieces very rarely tell the truth, and when they do tell the truth, they tell half-truths.
*continues to ignore the 2012 math test that is decidedly more difficult than the 1912 one*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 05:28 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,881,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Holy cow...Thank God for Google...
^^

Old 07-31-2013, 06:14 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,472,089 times
It would not surprise me if grade school students in 1912 in the United States typically performed better in certain areas of information and learning than most grade school kids today.

But has anyone considered that most kids in the U.S. today have a lot more distractions than most kids did in 1912?

My parents are Baby Boomers but I think my mother told me TV's first came out in the U.S. when she was a little girl, and even then being novel, not every American family had a TV.

And there are a lot of social distractions for young people now too. The violence, the gay stuff, the gender-bending, the very sexualized culture (twirking, short shorts on girls), internet, facebook, tweets, cellphones... just a lot of distractions.

Plus, there is so much more to learn. And American society just seems to keep getting "faster" and less stable. You're not growing up to take over the family farm, or get a job in printing or tool making and expecting to stay with that job till old age any more.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
And there are a lot of social distractions for young people now too. The violence, the gay stuff, the gender-bending, the very sexualized culture (twirking, short shorts on girls)
No offense, but I thought you were joking here, it sounded so out of touch. lol

lol = laugh out loud, by the way.

Your larger point, however, is correct.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:34 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,472,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELR123 View Post
No offense, but I thought you were joking here, it sounded so out of touch. lol

lol = laugh out loud, by the way.

Your larger point, however, is correct.
What is out of touch, Chicagoland?

This may be a high schooler but not the grade schoolers don't act much different.

TWERKING IN KENNEDY HIGH SCHOOL - YouTube

Ellen DeGeneres on 15-year-old boy, Larry King, killed for being Gay - YouTube

Old 07-31-2013, 10:13 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
you quoted something about snopes again, and I replied that liberal mouthpieces very rarely tell the truth, and when they do tell the truth, they tell half-truths.
*crickets* keep hiding from the 2012 test? Frankly, I hold you in a lot higher esteem than some of the other posters to this thread, I would think you'd man up and at least discuss the man behind the curtain.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:25 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,764,935 times
Excuse me please if some of this has been covered. I scrolled through the thread since I wasn't reading it from the beginning.

This "document" is actually on file with the Bullitt County History Museum but I'm still not buying it. I'll research further. But, if it is real the person that "typed it up" should be fired. It is signed Chas. G. Bridwall who did exist in the county at that time but why would a truant officer be typing up a test?

There are many things I do not like about this document including the fact that I don't think young kids in KY at that time had time to learn all of this plus the stuff that wouldn't be on the test. Why would someone in KY study the battle of Quebec? Do you really think a rural county would be teaching 14 year olds the difference between copyrights and patents?

If you still believe this thing is real, tell me with the vast power of Wikipedia and Google search, just when who invented Magnetic? I've always wanted to know. This is under "History." #10. And where I can I buy a Magnetic? I'd like one.

I put "History." in quotes to point out that the section above it "Civil Government" doesn't have a period. There are also inconsistent uses of the period to end sentences throughout the test. Also, many common nouns are capitalized for God knows what reason. Why would I give credence that kids were taught more and smarter if the test itself doesn't properly use capitalization and punctuation?

And in general, how were rural KY schools providing these tests? One per teacher? One per student? Was the XEROX machine mule driven back then? I seriously question the geography telling the student to locate things. Locate them on what?

Tell what you know of the Gulf Stream? Is that the essay? Will they be graded by the eloquence of their answer? Why is "States" capitalized under Geography #8?

Is grammar so unimportant that Physiology has more questions and Geography even one more than that?

Under spelling can you tell me what an eneeavor is? I am not as smart as a KY 8th grader from 100 years ago and I've been dumbed down so much by smartphones I can't seem to find out what an eneeavor is. Please help me.

But for the love of God, where can I buy a Magnetic?

If this test is real, whomever wrote it was drunk.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
What is out of touch, Chicagoland?

This may be a high schooler but not the grade schoolers don't act much different.

TWERKING IN KENNEDY HIGH SCHOOL - YouTube

Ellen DeGeneres on 15-year-old boy, Larry King, killed for being Gay - YouTube
It was the fact that you spelled twerking wrong, and considered twerking a distraction. As if thousand of children are skipping their math homework to go "twirk."

Not to mention the "gay stuff" nugget you threw in there.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:42 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post

If this test is real, whomever wrote it was drunk.
LOL, I agree!

Did you also notice the third math problem: '...deducting 1 dodr 8 ft....'

What's a dodr?

Roumania; I believe that was spelled Romania. Servia?

Just what DOES the liver 'secrAte'?

Old 08-01-2013, 08:53 AM

1,509 posts, read 2,428,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
LOL, I agree!

Did you also notice the third math problem: '...deducting 1 dodr 8 ft....'

What's a dodr?

Roumania; I believe that was spelled Romania. Servia?

Just what DOES the liver 'secrAte'?
To be fair here, both Rumania and Roumania are dated spellings of the country's name and I've seen older maps (particularly pre-World War II maps) that use those spellings. Also as for the earlier point regarding seemingly random capitalizations, there was a trend (though I think it was mainly the rage in the 17th and 18th centuries) to capitalize all nouns, not just proper nouns.

Nonetheless, I think the points being made by Mathguy and others are correct in that there are other educational priorities in modern schools - that doesn't necessarily mean that those priorities are inferior. I doubt a student back then could have completed the math problems Mathguy put forth, for instance. For what it's worth, I went to public schools in the South my entire life (even for college and grad school) and feel my education was more than adequate and think I could do the vast majority of the questions on that exam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies